What's new

Request For Help Translating Kanji

coral99

後輩
16 Jun 2014
Hello,

I would like to request help translating the kanji on the tang from a Japanese sword. I included a picture below. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for your help with my continued requests. I greatly appreciate it.

Matt

Attachments

• Tang1.jpg
    Tang1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 241
荘司次郎太郎直勝作
鳥井則光刻

Made by Sōji Jirō Tarō Naokatsu
Signed by Torii Norimitsu

明治三十七年土月日
旧銘被為奸商幾部余欧鎸阿
Meiji 37 (1904), March

I can't read the part after that. I think it says the mei was added in 1904, after the original mei had been damaged (or cut off due to shortening the sword). Jiro Taro Naokatsu died in 1865. As always, the quality of the sword is more important, than the signature. Or, the quality of the sword will verify the authenticity of the signature. In this case one has to be very cautious.

Thanks very much for the prompt response. I am very appreciative for your insight. It is a very interesting tang. Would you have any advice on how to research the last part about the damage from shortening?

Hello Matt,
Wait to see if a poster called Toritoribe can read/decipher the last bit. He may be able to figure it out.
If you do not want to wait, you could try sending it to Markus Sesko (TRANSLATION SERVICE/PRICES), who should be able to help you. Or, you could try posting it to Nihonto Message Board in the translation section (Nihonto Message Board).

Note that the mei does not say anything about shortening the sword. It merely mentions (I think) that the original mei was damaged or lost. I am speculating that it may refer to a shortening of the sword. Full pictures of the blade would help. Also note that serious collectors and students always advise to look at the sword itself first, rather than the mei. This is what I meant in my earlier post. Trying to figure out the meaning of this mei isn't nearly as helpful as taking a good, close look at the sword and seeing if it has the characteristics of a Naokatsu sword. Since the name is a well-known name, swords from this smith will be well-documented and studied, and it should be reasonably easy to tell if this is a true Naokatsu sword. (Well, it should be easy if one is able to examine it in hand. Often it is difficult to see and appraise the quality of a sword through pictures on the internet).

Hello,

I would like to request help translating the kanji on the tang from a Japanese sword. I included a picture below. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for your help with my continued requests. I greatly appreciate it.

Matt
明治三十七年十一月日
旧銘被為奸商滅却(全?)改鎸(錐乃?)阿

It would say that because the original mei had been erased by a wicked seller, it's inscribed again in November 1904.

Back
Top Bottom