What's new

Removal of some Shoji screen doors for re-papering

ginlane

後輩
27 Mar 2016
Help please!
I'm struggling with removal of some Shoji screen doors. They have to be re-papered and
all the videos on-line I come across about doing this, it seem to do this with the doors horizontal after taking them out of the tracks. However not for love nor money will these doors come out of the tracks from what I can see!
Is there some technique that I don't know about? and if not can these be re-papered upright while still in the tracks? To be honest, I don't really want to be doing too much tugging and pulling at them as they look quite fragile and too much pressure would probably break them.

kind regards Gin

Have you tried lifting them upwards and then tilting the bottom out?

Lift up the door as far as you can, and take the lower side of it out of the track. If you can't, move the door other side of the track and try again. (It's often difficult to do this on the center side of the track especially when the house is not new.) You can re-paper the door while still in the track, if you can't take it out of the track no matter how hard you try. (I did so at the end of the last year.)

I've tried every variation of up, tilt, twist etc, they are not coming out!

May I ask? how did you get right into the edge? my door overlap and it would be next to impossible to paper into 1 side effectively!!

Does that mean your doors are only two? My ones are four, so it's easy to separate a door from the rest.
How about to ask another person to take the door out while you are pushing kamoi (the lintel) upwards? If it's impossible even with this way, to raise kamoi with a jack is the last resort.

Back
Top Bottom