What's new

Need some help about finding university

dopemills

先輩
18 Jul 2006
Hi everyone, I'm considering attending university in Japan for undergraduate studies. I've been doing some reading on the internet but I'm still not too clear about some things.
Firstly, I understand that some universities do not require EJU for admission. So far I know of International Christian University (ICU) that does not require EJU. Also, from what I understand from the school website japanese language ability is not required before admission as I can take japanese classes during school term. Is there other universities that not only do not require EJU and japanese language ability for admission?
However, if there are universities that require japanese language ability but do not require EJU, I guess i can consider that too. I don't mind if I have to spend a year or so to pick up the language. Cos my main purpose in wanted to study in japan is mainly cos I want to learn japanese.
Secondly, I'm currently persuing a diploma in Biotechnology. However, my current grades are Cs and Ds. I know it's really bad but it's going to be my last diploma year so I decided to work hard and get better grades. Is there any hope for me to be accepted into any university with such grades?
Sorry for the long post. TIA.

You might want to look into Sophia University's Faculty of Liberal Arts (formerly the Department of Comparitive Culture). I attended and graduated from there with a degree in International Business and Economics.

All courses are taught in English and knowledge of the Japanese language is not required. However, you may still be required to take two years of Japanese while a student if you're going for a four-year degree. The rules may have changed over the years, but I am not sure. You can attend for credits or you can persue a degree. The choice is up to you.

As far as I know, you should be granted admission based on your grades. I think the minimum is a 2.0, or a 'C'. However, I do not think you will have a problem.

Complete information is available in the link above. Good luck!

Here you go,
The info is pretty accurate since the site was made by the organization which handles my language school too (Plus I know the people who make it kinda personally). Some of the info might be old but the info is accurate since there is not much change every year in the requirement part and the dates. Though the info in the site is might not be detailed enough and you'll need to search it on your own.

On the side note, there is a few universities that accept students without Japanese Skills (since the class is in English) and EJU but you need to be here in Japan for the interview etc. As for example (one of my classmates already passed the entrance exam "only interview and its in English" to enter the uni), Waseda University. But the problem is the courses that they have for this kind of entrance sucks. Political subject thinggy I think.

And, might I ask why are you avoiding EJU? (Just took my EJU last Sunday, It ain't that scary). Plus since you said you don't mind spending 1 year for the language, I recommend you to come here to study Japanese and for a bonus, the teacher will help you out from exams to university(they'll train you on the interview etc). And they are really dedicated and detailed about it, its kindda scary, Since such teacher doesnt exist when I was at my home country.

Even if you sucks at Japanese, Math and Science in EJU, there still a chance for you to enter university(National) <cheap> if you're not picky about the location. eg University in Hokkaido or Akita as for example. Since they don't really put emphasis on your current level, just your dedication or willingness or preservation or whatever to improve yourself in the future <they'll check it when you go to the interview> that's what my teacher said. Since she said it in Japanese I can't really translate it totally into English. Or easier to enter Private University <expensive as hell, for me>. And a lot as far as I know, the private university doesn't put emphasis on EJU mostly their own entrance exam. which happens to be mostly on Japanese and Interview.

Well I could go on forever on this topic. If you have more question feel free to ask. I might lose my interest in this thread if there's no more reply after a few days if so feel free to PM me. Oh, English ability is needed to enter <national> university over here. TOEFL, If you can get high marks in it, it's a plus. And a lot of students over here lost a lot of choices because their English isn't good enough.

hi Pachipro, thanks for providing the link. I have read through the site and am quite interested in that area of study. However I have a question regarding admissions. It seems that I require SATs but I do not take them. Can I still apply ?

dopemills said:
hi Pachipro, thanks for providing the link. I have read through the site and am quite interested in that area of study. However I have a question regarding admissions. It seems that I require SATs but I do not take them. Can I still apply ?
If you already have college credits you do not need to take, or provide, SAT scores. I think it says on the page somewhere that you can transfer up to two years of college credits from your university. In your case that should be no problem. Good luck!

JohnMars30 , not sure if you will get an answer here. The thread is over 4 years old. You might want to start a brand new thread.

Back
Top Bottom