What's new

Recommendations for good bands/new bands?

sugarbasil

Cheesecake witch
1 Aug 2004
Hellooo there! 🙂

Big fan of Jrock and Jpop for many years and I'm looking for some new bands to check out. If you guys have any recommendations (Jrock or Jpop, not too picky, though I prefer Jpop) or know of any new bands that just came out in Japan that would really help me!

Some of the bands/artists I've already heard of (not all though), just so I have something new to look up, are:
Ayumi Hamasaki
Utada Hikaru
Morning Mutsume
Gackt
Dir en Grey
L'Arc~en~Ciel
Malice Mizer
GLAY
X-Japan
Kana
BoA and boa
Dream

Thanks a bunch you guys!!! :)

i really like ketsumeishi!
i think they are one of the best although they are more reggae/hip hop. i used to play drum mania but there are only few places outside japan with these machines. anyway, those machine's songs were quite good. 👍

dir en grey is a definate MUST-HEAR..

X)

they're my favorite!! *points to multiple dir en grey plushies around the room*

XD

Yaida Hitomi
Shiina Ringo
Onitsuka Chihiro
Amuro Namie
Hide
Chara
Cocco
Bonnie Pink
Mr. Children
T.M.Revolution

T.M. Revolution... Was this a bad joke? *looks supiciously*

Definetely B'z... XD
Kiroro
Luna Sea

now doesn't remember anything else. Have to look in my computer... :D

>> T.M. Revolution... Was this a bad joke?

No. Why should it be a joke? Whats wrong here - seen from your point of view?

sugarbasil said:
Big fan of Jrock and Jpop for many years and I'm looking for some new bands to check out. If you guys have any recommendations (Jrock or Jpop, not too picky, though I prefer Jpop) or know of any new bands that just came out in Japan that would really help me!
Nice to meet you!

Hmmm... since most people are trotting out the "old" favorites, I'll try to make some recommendations of fairly new artists.

I especially like some of Asian Kung-Fu Generation's recent singles, and Orange Range might be worth checking out as well... they're quite popular, with a number of recent chart-toppers. I've only heard "Shanghai Honey" out of their works, but I do like that one...

The Back Horn's not quite as recent, but their song "Mirai" from the film Akarui mirai is quite excellent!

For an older group that you might not have heard of, I can't recommend Kazufumi Miyazawa and The Boom enough... their fusion of Okinawan, J-Pop and world music styles is really unique. I started out with their seminal song "Shima uta" and worked out from there...

Hope these help... good luck!

🙂

Well, it depends on what you're into. I know that my two favorite groups are kind of techno/pop, so if that's your thing, then you might want to check out TWO-MIX and ANGELA* (my to favorite bands ever). I also second the ONITSUKA CHIHIRO motion. One band that's been broken up for awhile that doesn't seem to get much appreciation anymore is ICEMAN. They were quite good in my opinion.

If you're into more of a rock-type genre, then another good but you may want to try THE SEEKER, ONMYO-ZA, or INUGAMI CIRCUS-DAN

- Yoshiaki Abe

*: I just saw ANGELA live in concert, and they were ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!

Onmyoji said:
Well, it depends on what you're into. I know that my two favorite groups are kind of techno/pop, so if that's your thing, then you might want to check out TWO-MIX and ANGELA* (my to favorite bands ever). I also second the ONITSUKA CHIHIRO motion. One band that's been broken up for awhile that doesn't seem to get much appreciation anymore is ICEMAN. They were quite good in my opinion.
Oooo, oooo, ooooooo... sorry for being so primitive, but I can't believe I just saw a reference to Iceman, another of my favorite groups... featuring Daisuke Asakura, former member of the band Access and current producer of TM Revolution amongst many acts. "Nartic Boy" is one of my old-school faves...

OK, I'm done now... Iceman... yeah...

:)

Dunno if you would be into any these types of bands, but here are some Japanese bands I like.....

Yellow Machinegun, Sigh, Melt Banana.......

Anything by Blankey Jet City they're disbanded but still very good and Kenichi Asai new band Jude, album 'Highway Child'.

I like these ones...
Malice Mizer is one of my favourite.,
gackt is also amazing..
moi dix mois love them!
l'Arc~en~ciel they are cool.
Dir en grey yeah!

Back
Top Bottom