What's new

Reading on the Japanese economy

Japan_Observer

Gimlet Eye
12 Dec 2006
I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a book or books on the contemporary (Koizumi / post-Koizumi) Japanese economy. I am more interested in political economy -- the institutions and arrangements that govern the Japanese economy -- than nuts-and-bolts microeconomics.

I have a strong grasp of the fundamentals of the Japanese economy, so I'm looking for something more advanced -- and something that makes a strong argument about how the economy is changing or should change.

Thanks for any recommendations.

I quess they could start with ripping off the yakuza first, there is no place for mafia in healty economy.
Second they could start to Rip off the corrupted politicans, who have made trouble by taking bribes and such.
There are this problem many prefectures.
third, make voting equal, it should increase political power of hight tech companies, current system gives more power to farmers, I think the reason is to keep prices of vegetables and agricultural products unreasonably high (300 yen apple).
Basicly I see nothing wrong in exporting operations, there is problems with importing with high taxes and so.

yeah this years record was 2,9 I think..compared with russian 6,9.

I think there is more potential thats all.

Showing that mafia or yakuza is accepted in major economy, shows pretty much how corrupted is the whole goverment. Those yakuza guys are not just some stories, it is real, and every company owner I know in Japan pays money for them.
For readings I recomend simply Japan times and economist newspapers, but I think you got them already anyways.

Sorry if this doesn't work, but an interesting read is "Rising Sun". It takes a look at Japanese business practices and the Japanese economy is related to the U.S. It's disguised as a mystery novel about a murder in a Japanese-owned company in America. Doesn't really look at Japanese economy as a whole, just various tidbits and what not. That's the best I got.

Showing that mafia or yakuza is accepted in major economy, shows pretty much how corrupted is the whole goverment. Those yakuza guys are not just some stories, it is real, and every company owner I know in Japan pays money for them.
For readings I recomend simply Japan times and economist newspapers, but I think you got them already anyways.

Every company owner? You've got to be joking. Are you sure you are not making some sweeping gross generalizations? Please show me concrete evidence on this.

I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a book or books on the contemporary (Koizumi / post-Koizumi) Japanese economy. I am more interested in political economy -- the institutions and arrangements that govern the Japanese economy -- than nuts-and-bolts microeconomics.

Have you read JAPANESE PHEONIX-The Long Road to Economic Revival by Richard Katz (M.E.Sharpe, 2003)? It expertly describes the economic problems that Japan has been facing and how Japan is slowly changing. I recommend it for its clear and interesting writing.

The author strongly advocates U.S. style capitalistic reforms for Japan but IMO does not adequately address dangers of its excesses. For example, there is no mention of how should deal with vulture funds such as U.S. Steel Partners (which has been trying to greenmail Sapporo Brewerys and is now threatening a hostile bid on a smaller food processing company, Bulldog Sauce Co.)

If you get any other recommendations, could you please post it here. I'm a Japan/Asia economics junkie. (Is that worst than being Akiba kei? :eek: )

Please spare us the suspense and tell us which comic book are you reading...🙂

LOl not much info to be had. As an economics student (first year) i was also interested in learning about the japanese economy but ive not found much as of yet. so ill also be keeping tabs on this i think.

As for every shop owner paying the yakuza......hahahaha. I know a few business owners in japan and not ONE pays or deals with the yakuza. Who the hell would they need protection from anyway?

Back
Top Bottom