What's new

Radio 1/2 this Sunday!

MHtrStevie

後輩
13 Jul 2002
Greetings! 🙂

I hope people don't mind, but I just wanted to start a thread where I could let everyone know what's coming up on my radio show for the upcoming weekend. My show is called Radio 1/2, and it airs on Sunday mornings from 6-9 AM EST (or GMT-5). That would meanly it would be on sometime Sunday afternoon across Europe and Sunday evening in Japan...

If people are interested, it airs on WSPN 91.1 FM in Saratoga Springs, NY. It is also simulcast on the Internet at the WSPN website:

WSPN | 91.1 Skidmore College Radio

I believe this requires WinAmp for listening. It uses the ShoutCast software the last time I checked.

This weekend (7/28/02), I'll be featuring the following special features:

+ TIME CAPSULE --- This is where we look back at songs which were #1 on the Oricon pop charts this week since the charts began in 1968. Mind you, it's not comprehensive as I can only play what I have in my personal collection...
:p
This week's edition is mostly 1990's selections (as it usually is) with a rock emphasis, including B'z, X Japan and L'arc~en~ciel. For more retro, we'll dip into the 1980's for a little Masahiko Kondo and even further back into the 1970's for Keiko Fuji, the mother of current pop sensation Hikaru Utada (IIRC).

+ BLOCK PARTY --- I try to include some sort of mini-marathon on a particular theme each week, and this week I think I'll focus on some Mr. Children music due to lead singer Sakurai's recent hospitalization. We'll wish him well...

+ TOP TEN --- I recently closed out my listener poll, the Neo-Tokyo Top Ten, after five years of charting. During this summer, I've been extracting Top Ten lists from the all-time hits list on various themes. This week is "One Week Wonders", songs which appeared on the Neo-Tokyo Top Ten for one week only before dropping back into obscurity.

OK, enough blabbering... if you're interested, please check it out! Thanks for listening!

:sing:

Stevie, thanks for posting, I'm looking forward to listening to your show. You'll start quite early on Sunday, but for us in Europe that's very convenient.
:)

:confused: mhtrstevie,,,, you have me interested but I'm unsure if I can get it on my radio??? if I tune into 91.1 fm on my system at home (ordinary hi-fi system) will I be able to pick your station up??? 😄

(I'm not in any sence of the word"high tech" with these things, as your about to find out hehe)🙂

If you can tell me ,, please post as I check in at the forum quite often and I can almost hear you now lolol,, looking forward to your reply as always.

Greetings! 🙂

Unless you actually live in Saratoga Springs, New York, you wouldn't be able to pick WSPN up on the radio itself. Our station is very small, so its broadcast signal only has about a 20-mile radius.

I posted more because WSPN also sends its signal through its website as streaming audio, so it could be heard anywhere in the world if one's computer were set up correctly. I included the link in the original message for the WSPN page where the audio link is... from the main page, there are links in the middle of the page which give instructions for setting up the stream. Basically if you have WinAMP or other MP3 software, you're basically set, but you can read more about it there.

I'm honestly not sure how well it works the farther away from source you get, but I know one of my friends was listening to the show in Seattle, Washington, which is on the other side of the USA from me... for her, the show was on from 3-6 AM!

The faster your Internet connection, the better it should work... and that's about all I can say about it. I don't know too much about it myself, but I do know it works... if anyone does decide to tune in on the Internet, I'd be very curious to find out how well it worked for you.

And I'll apologize in advance if it doesn't work very well...

:sorry:

Thanks for the interest!

Sorry, I missed the show. You had some tough competition from the beach. It's hardly ever over 25 deg Celcius in Holland. I'll hear it on a rainy day...

I did check out the audiostream though. It works fine, but it has a very low bitrate so it sounds worse then AM-radio.

Last edited:
sh_t missed it I bet.

Hmmm, you might wanna try a QuickTime streaming server. If you have a unix server it should install.

Hey, this is great. I wonder if you can have recordings done and play the stream more often. This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Stream my drive on the net. hmmmm .... all kinds of ideas but never any time to carry them out.

Saratoga Springs.
Do you play the ponies?
Great Area. Oooops here I go again :)

Greetings! 🙂

Thanks for the interest, everyone, and don't worry. The Radio 1/2 show will always be there for you! I'm around every Sunday, so feel free to check it out whenever you have the chance...

😄

As far as the bitrate goes, I think it's being kept low intentionally to allow even lower speed dial-up connections to enjoy the feed without it pausing every two seconds to rebuffer. I don't know this for sure, as I really don't have anything to do with the feed's operation. I just know it's there...

moyashi --- I don't do any betting, but I live only a mile away from the track so I do try to get there at least once per season to check things out. It's definitely an interesting town to live in, especially during the track season... in fact, after the show last Sunday I had breakfast at a local eatery, and who should be there but Angel Cordero (famous jockey). Definitely a fun town...

Anyway, thanks again! I'll post up this coming Sunday's festivities once I've thought through the plan a little more...

Greetings! 🙂

FYI, I'm planning a special Radio 1/2 this Sunday. I had an idea about doing a "summer" themed show, and after checking my collection it looks like I have enough material to put together an entire show featuring summer songs from Japan.

I won't be featuring a Top Ten countdown, but I will plan an extra-long Block Party featuring the group which could be considered Japan's ultimate "summer" band, TUBE!

Before the festivities begin, though, I will have the regular Time Capsule segment... this week is almost completely from the 1990's, including #1 hits from Southern All Stars (a group being discussed here recently), SMAP and the KinKi Kids. We'll get back to the 1980's to start with IIRC the only #1 hit from the band which kickstarted the careers of two of Japan's great guitarists, Tomoyasu Hotei and Kyosuke Himuro... BOOWY!

I hope you can join me this Sunday from 6-9 AM EST...

:sing:

Back
Top Bottom