she said she just wanted to release the stress
I told her to quit smoking and she promised that she will quit soon
she lives in San Francisco so I can't always watch her and alert her
I want to help her quit smoking, I might buy something to help her quitting it,
any suggestions??

shes going through lots of dramas in friendships and family

Last edited:
mad pierrot said:
Did you know that smoking is more addictive than heroine?

oh really? i didn't know that....

she just started smoking so I guess it would be easier to quit?

i just don't want her to become addictive, she said she wants to release stress, but as far as i know, smoking does not help releasing stress, it actually causes stress..

If your friend wants to release stress, there's lots healthier ways to do that than smoking which only becomes an addiction that only brings on more stress.

I know that first hand as I watched my late mother go through all sorts of hoops to satify her need for cigarettes. No matter how much I tried to convince her to quit, she couldn't, then she contracted lung cancer and died from it.

Dream Time, the sooner you can get your friend to quit, the better the chance it won't become an addiction.

yup

are there any products that helps quitting smoking?

flashjeff said:
If your friend wants to release stress, there's lots healthier ways to do that than smoking which only becomes an addiction that only brings on more stress.

I know that first hand as I watched my late mother go through all sorts of hoops to satify her need for cigarettes. No matter how much I tried to convince her to quit, she couldn't, then she contracted lung cancer and died from it.

Dream Time, the sooner you can get your friend to quit, the better the chance it won't become an addiction.

sorry to hear about that...

my grandfather also has lung problems caused by smoking....

I've Had....

several patients on oxygen who continue to smoke.They shut it off to have their smoke, struggling to suck in that needed fix. My last patient had very poor blood circulation, but couldn't quit. It cost him his leg and he now is in a coma, near death. When he wakes a little, he has someone light him a ciggerette till he passes out again. When the habbit hooks you, some people just can't quit! Very sad.

Frank

:eek:

Dream Time said:
yup

are there any products that helps quitting smoking?

Well, there's Nicorette gum, and now, a patch. I'm not sure, but I think you need to have a prescription from a doctor to obtain those products. Both are available in major drug stores. You'd have to go there and ask how one can get them.

mad pierrot said:
Did you know that smoking is more addictive than heroine?

Absolutely!!! I have read of studies that bear proof to that statement. Being a reformed smoker, I know how difficult it was to quit. Although I have never been addicted to any drug other than nicotine, I do have first hand knowledge of someone who has dealt with addiction to both heroine and nicotine.

In the first year that I was stationed in Japan, I lived in a barracks on base, when a man who had just transferred in from Thailand, moved into the room accross the hall from mine. He seemed like a pretty decent guy, and was mostly quiet and just stayed to himself, but I knew that he was loaded most of the time, and from his mannerisms and physical appearance, figured that he was hitting skag. This was during a brief period of time when there was a moratorium on random drug tests for members of the US military while the courts tried to sort out the constitutionality of the tests, but rumor was that the tests were to resume the next month. One day he came over to my room and told me that he was taking a week leave, and was going to be in his room going cold turkey. He wanted me to know what was going on so that I wouldn't call the medics if I saw him jonesing, puking in the latrine a lot.

He was pretty sick for a few days. I checked in on him a couple of times a day to see if he needed anything -- mostly cigarettes. He soon got better, and started going back to work. After that, since we worked different shifts, I didn't see him much until one day I ran into him in the NCO club. I pulled up to the bar, and he bought me a beer, thanking me again for helping him out. He said that kicking the habit was a success, and although it was rough going, he was clean and intended to stay that way. We had a few more beers, and discussed our failed attempts at quitting smoking, in light of the relative ease with which he had been able to kick heroine.

As for smoking, I was a heavy smoker, and although I quit for over two years in my late 20's, I went back to it, using the excuse of job stress, etc. Finally, after several attempts at slowing down, or quitting for brief periods of time, I quit for good in 1983, at the age of 33. From my own experience in quitting smoking, and from the experiences of others whom I have known who have quit or tried to quit, I would have to say that quitting is simple, but difficult.

The simplicity is in the principle of the method -- you have to want to quit really bad, and no crutch is going to help you. Cold Turkey is the way to success, but only if you are honest with yourself about your addiction, and have decided that you are not going to let it control you. Like I said, in principle, quitting is simple ... the difficulty is in actually doing it.

Last edited:
I quit smoking back in may, the way I did it was by quarentining myself from my friends (which led to me using the computer more which in turn led to me using forums to communicate with people). I also started running, which made me realise how much smoking had messed up my lungs (I smoked for 7 years, and did alot of other bad stuff too)
The first month is the worst, but it does eventually get better, your body begins to feel a calm and you lose the urge to go buy a pack after about the first month. Now the smell of tobacco makes me sick.

the only time I ever want one now is if I've been drinking. But telling your body that its a passing feeling works, because usually you only want one for about a minute or so, then the feeling fades away.

BTW Nicorrete is available over-the-counter, but it keeps you addicted to nicotine and I wouldn't recommend it or any other nicotine substances... when I tried to quit using that stuff, I ended up smoking more.

Back
Top Bottom