What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

The smoke of factories, cars, planes and ships are destroying the earth

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the points Rosling made and also reading a bit about him. Such a shame he didn't achieve his aim of reaching the top of the population pyramid so that he could 'study more statistics'! He really does make a strong argument that the best thing to do about world population is to eradicate extreme poverty (provide the support to the dollar a day people so that they become ten dollar a day people) and the rest will look after itself. And good on him for castigating the British for their ignorance of how the world has changed in the last few decades! However, as well as correctly pointing out that the world is doing better than most people think, I think he needed to stress just how much of a threat environmental degradation and global heating will be to the very people whose lives he wants to see improved. It's those people on a dollar a day who are living on the most marginal land that will be affected the most by reduced crop yields caused by the increased droughts, floods and temperatures of the future.

Mansoor - sorry for taking over your thread and changing the subject a bit. I do strongly recommend those videos that nice gaijin posted.

Mansoor

後輩
Reaction score
The 50 years old plant in the big bottle was an amazing phenomenon and a scientific evidence

Thank you

What is your recommendation to force industries to observe the standards of a clean environment?

How we can enlighten people not to leave their plastic things in the environment or throw them in the lakes, rivers, or shores?

How we can convince politicians to make a comprehensive, effective and applicable decision to limit industry and vehicle pollution?

How we can accelerate using clean energies instead of fissile fuels?

How we can clean the waters effectively that have been decorated with tons of junk plastics!

How we can save fishes of the sea from being infected with the various chemical waste substances or oil or heavy metals like Pub or Mercury to have them as delicious food on our table (sadly it is for about five months or more that I have not eaten fish. I am desirous to have a fried fish as soon as possible. I first put the fish in some flour, turmeric, salt, and red pepper and then fry that. Thus it becomes very delicious)?

A lot of Co2 is produced by the factories that make wine and beer. the amount of Co2 is emitted into the atmosphere immediately. Are you agree the factories are shut down until the time that the atmosphere condition gets better?

Some parts of ice are separated from polar because of global warming and move on the seas as some strayed bergs. Is it possible those bergs are transferred by some ships to the shore of the dry lands such as Africa and Australia so that people use them as drinking water and similar uses?

Of course, there are some other questions but I ignore them for brevity.

Last edited:

Mansoor

後輩
Reaction score
Mansoor - sorry for taking over your thread and changing the subject a bit. I do strongly recommend those videos that nice gaijin posted.
No. please feel free and write whatever you wish. I sometimes myself go out of the subject LOL

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
The 50 years old plant in the big bottle was an amazing phenomenon and a scientific evidence

Thank you

What is your recommendation to force industries to observe the standards of a clean environment?

How we can enlighten people not to leave their plastic things in the environment or throw them in the lakes, rivers, or shores?

How we can convince politicians to make a comprehensive, effective and applicable decision to limit industry and vehicle pollution?

How we can accelerate using clean energies instead of fissile fuels?

How we can clean the waters effectively that have been decorated with tons of junk plastics!

How we can save fishes of the sea from being infected with the various chemical waste substances or oil or heavy metals like Pub or Mercury to have them as delicious food on our table (sadly it is for about five months or more that I have not eaten fish. I am desirous to have a fried fish as soon as possible. I first put the fish in some flour, turmeric, salt, and red pepper and then fry that. Thus it becomes very delicious)?

A lot of Co2 is produced by the factories that make wine and beer. the amount of Co2 is emitted into the atmosphere immediately. Are you agree the factories are shut down until the time that the atmosphere condition gets better?

Some parts of ice are separated from polar because of global warming and move on the seas as some strayed bergs. Is it possible those bergs are transferred by some ships to the shore of the dry lands such as Africa and Australia so that people use them as drinking water and similar uses?

Of course, there are some other questions but I ignore them for brevity.
Hmm, Those are good and big questions! I can't say that I have all the answers, but I'm trying to listen in so I can at least be an educated layman.

I suspect that major drivers of climate change are rooted in our incentive and economic systems: wherever there is limitless wealth to be obtained, there will be those who pursue maximum profit, and they will tear the planet apart for the last drop of it. If there's anything close to a villain in this story, it's greed. The challenge lies with education and coordinating collective action to change course. Science gives us some foresight to be able to identify problems and predict our outcomes, so we can avoid the worst of them. But most people are unable or unwilling to see problems until it directly causes problems for them personally; usually by then it's too late, the train has already left the station and there aren't enough brakes.

As you can guess from my previous replies, my main focus would be on commercial activity through stricter regulation, enforcement, taxation, accountability, and other means to incentivize a balanced approach to their business. Regulations are often written in blood, to prevent more bloodshed; industry behaves like a psychopath, so we need to protect ourselves and our environment from commercial interests. Campaign finance reform, and limiting lobbying activities so politicians are not unduly influenced is another important upstream change. If economics is the only language they understand, make it unprofitable to misbehave. If companies are granted personhood, they must also accept the death penalty when they threaten our very lives. We'll lock people away for their entire lives for all kinds of offenses, but companies get away with literal murder, and the cost is just a portion of their proceeds at most.

There are people who don't factor these things into their purchase decisions, and just want to live a life of convenience. Single use plastics are convenient, big agriculture and processed food makes it cheap to eat high fat, high calorie food all the time. Slave labor and outsourced industry has put a phone in everyone's hand; most of the goods in our possession traveled many thousands of miles to sit in their home. Often they do not pay the full price of their choice, but the cost is spread out to everyone else.

I make a big point of focusing on activity that is beyond my control, but that doesn't absolve me of my own responsibility to make what little impact I can. Usually this means just being aware of my choices, and trying to affect the least harm: eating lower on the food chain; drive less when I have the choice and take alternate transportation; waste less water; don't cultivate lawns or monocultures, but surround yourself with plants and animals and try to take care of them. Sometimes this means cleaning up areas I visit and packing out what garbage I can, sometimes it means calling out others when forget their responsibility. Shaming people can be powerful but it can backfire, so I try to stay cheerful, it makes people want to help you more. Even when people are most motivated to help themselves, we can at least try to be good examples.

I don't always succeed at all these things, but at least we're trying and the value of our efforts begins with our motivation and intention.

Mansoor

後輩
Reaction score
Sadly finding an alternative to stop pollution in the world doesn't go out from word fence, and there is not an effective action to refine the polluted environment practically. Of course from decades ago some standards have been specified by lawmakers to prevent the industries' pollution but I don't think they had been enough or implicated comprehensively in all industries. Also, a considerable number of people themselves don't observe this rule to use things wisely and economically or think about the live environment! We think nature will decompose plastic things itself and there is no need we are concerned herein!

Just now, people are using salt along with plastic particles that are broken up in the salty lakes and small seas. They drink a bottle of water and then throw it out in the river and watch how it is traveling floating on the river to an unknown far place! They don't know the plastic bottle will go back to them within salt later!

An old Iranian poet (750 years ago) said in a poem:

This world is like a mountain and our actions are like the sounds
these sounds will come back to us ( echoing sounds in the mounts)

Some cars' engines need to be adjusted and balanced every few months, especially their fuel systems, and especially the smoky trucks that use diesel fuel but I don't think serious supervision is done in this aspect in most of the countries.

Where will go the wastewater of factories? What percent of the wastewaters are refined and what percent is discharged to the environment that people deal with?

Millions of worn car tires are left in the wild, the tons of Carbon, rubber, and chemical components are spread out in the environment by wind and surface waters!

A great amount of various leftover chemical fertilizers and are transferred from farms and gardens to the rivers, and groundwater by rains.

And the wastewater of houses contained a long list of harmful natural substances and different detergents. Well, a small part of this wastewater is refined but what about the great part that finds its way to the wild?

I offer people of the world to turn off their phones for about 10 minutes as a protest against the pollution of the world by industries. This can shake the governments to pay attention to the demand of people more. This alternative can be used for other similar popular purposes, as well!

Last edited:

Mansoor

後輩
Reaction score
The sun is a good source of energy but how we can use this low energy on the earth as an effective and powerful energy to run factories and respond to the needs of a population in a city or town? Collecting the energy of the sun by a set of mirrors is a method and using a set of silicon chips that invert the light of the sun into electricity directly is another method but how much these little obtained energies can compete to the oil that everything is depended on it, in the nowadays world?

Is there any vivid future for the little obtained energies of the sun and wind to be replaced with petroleum extensively?

Top Bottom