What's new

Question about one word...

velocitygirl

後輩
21 Jun 2007
I am new to this forum so I apologise in advance if I do something wrong.

In a Dutch book that I read recently the narrator said that there is a Japanese expression, mukushoh, meaning "to laugh with the eyes". However, on the Internet I can't find anything to indicate this is true, so is it true?

I hope someone can help me.

I am new to this forum so I apologise in advance if I do something wrong.

In a Dutch book that I read recently the narrator said that there is a Japanese expression, mukushoh, meaning "to laugh with the eyes". However, on the Internet I can't find anything to indicate this is true, so is it true?

I hope someone can help me.

Mukushoh? Hmm, I've never heard of such a word.
Maybe it is 目笑 (mokushou), which means to have a smile around one's eyes, or to have eye contact (between two persons) and laugh.

But this word is not so commonly used these days.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking the author of the book confused it with the word mokushou then. So this just means "to have a laugh around the eyes" as in, the skin around the eyes wrinkles?

Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking the author of the book confused it with the word mokushou then. So this just means "to have a laugh around the eyes" as in, the skin around the eyes wrinkles?

Actually it is not laugh but rather smile...
We have a saying that eyes are as eloquent as mouth.
Not that everyone has wrinkles around one's eyes when smiling but you can imagine the expression around eyes when one is smiling...

I actually feel kinda silly asking this because i'm trying to teach myself Japanese but...I can't seem to find a good translation site anywhere so I decided to ask someone here.

I was watching a video and they had subbed it all except when they said "ganbare yo" what does that mean exactly?

I was watching a video and they had subbed it all except when they said "ganbare yo" what does that mean exactly?
Ganbare yo, is is the imperative form of the verb Ganbaru, (頑張る (がんばる)), to persist (do your best)--- I'm shortening the explanation of it to that, at least...

It's more of a command, such as You must do your best! The 'yo' is added as emphasis, so it's quite directly a command to whomever, to do their best...

Casual usage might be ganbatte... or ganbaru yo...

Ganbare yo, is is the imperative form of the verb Ganbaru, (頑張る (がんばる)), to persist (do your best)--- I'm shortening the explanation of it to that, at least...

It's more of a command, such as You must do your best! The 'yo' is added as emphasis, so it's quite directly a command to whomever, to do their best...

Casual usage might be ganbatte... or ganbaru yo...

Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom