What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Post Japanese-related YouTube links here

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
For people who may not be familiar with this stage-show organization, here is a video on the very unique Takarazuka (タカラズカ) (宝塚歌) Revue (near Osaka). From Wikipedia; “The Takarazuka Revue is a Japanese all-female musical theater troupe based in Takarazuka, Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. Women play all roles in lavish, Broadway-style productions of Western-style musicals and stories adapted from films, novels, shōjo manga, and Japanese folktales.”

I have seen the show in person, and it is entertaining, as well as quite unique.

(Sorry, the video is in Japanese with no English subtitles. But an English speaker will get a good idea of the performance and the organization just by watching the video.)

mdchachi

Reaction score
I've seen them too. Don't remember much of it it was so long ago. I had a Japanese tutor and she was a big time groupie going to many shows and waiting around outside afterwards watching them leave the venue or hoping to get autographs from her favorites.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
The Takarazuka fan clubs are organized like army regiments and follow a strict code of conduct. I saw them on my Sunday morning commutes, waiting for their stars to arrive. They formed lanes of at least a hundred yards, wore clothing in their club colours and waited in eerie silence. An unforgettable sight.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
samurai sword demonstrations. (I was lucky enough once to use a samurai sword. The thing about samurai swords is that they are a lot heavier than they look, and very hard to swing around.)

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
For people who have never been to Japan, I thought it would be good to include a video on Kendo (剣道), bamboo-sword fighting. Samurai sword practice with real swords is way too dangerous for young people and novices, so a martial art of fighting with bamboo swords was devised. Samurai would first practice with bamboo swords, achieve a high level of expertise, then move up to practicing with real swords. Kendo is still very popular in Japan.

Top Bottom