What's new

Only 30 percent of Japanese feel foreigners suffer discrimination

arnadstephen

先輩
8 Oct 2002
->Only 30 percent of Japanese feel foreigners suffer discrimination<-

-> TO SPIN THE RUDE-TALK, SPINNERS WOULD LABEL BELOW "STRAIGHT-TALK" IN THE UNITED STATES

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A Cabinet Office spokesman blamed the soaring crime rate for the public's apparent lack of concern for their foreign guests.

"The increase in the number of crimes committed by foreign nationals could be behind these figures," the spokesman said.

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20030412p2a00m0dm016000c.html

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

My question, besides tourist, who are considered/label foreigners ?

EXAMPLE:Would a second-generation Korean, born in Japan to parents from who live in Japan but are Korean, are they foreigners ?

Arnadstephen- In response to your question, yes, the child is considered Korean and foreign. They do not enjoy the same legal protections or privileges as a native born Japanese.
There is debate in the ex-pat community in Japan, but even if you are not a tourist and have lived for many years in Japan, perhaps even raising a family, you are generally still considered a foreigner. Even if you take the plunge and gain Japanese citizenship, you will still be considered, at best, a strange person, and considered to be a foreigner on sight. Obviously the more you stand out the sooner you will be pegged as a foreigner. The child of your Korean immigrants and Asian-rooted foreigners in Japan can fly under the radar as it where in daily life. But when it comes to dealing with the bureaucracy that is modern Japan, it won't matter if your child born to Korean parents has never been to Korea, for all intensive and legal purposes they are a foreigner.

If you are interested in the issue of being a perpetual foreigner in Japan, I would like to direct you to this link (I have put it up before) on the perpetual nature of foreignness in Japan.
http://pub26.ezboard.com/frealdiscussionboardfrm21

As for the comments of the politician, who like to blame all of Japan's crime problems on foreigners blatantly racist 99.9% of the time), what frightens me more is the ignorance of the public on just what foreigner's lives are like. Sure, it is not as bad as some places out there, but that should never be used to excuse racism, and discrimination no mater how petty it seems. I'm short on time today but I will find some articles on this subject at a future date. Cheers-

Re: the labelling of foreigners,
I guess that's really pretty open-ended and subjective depending on who you ask. Mandylion-san summed it up pretty well though.

Re: crime,
From my understanding, the vast majority of so-called "foreign crimes" are for the most part, visa and other immigration-related offenses (overstays, etc.). Hardly the kind of crimes that fit the stigma of "gaijin devils" that is so pervasive in Japan.

I would think Japanese politicians would be more concerned addressing issues of cracking down on well-established yakuza crime syndicates, bosozoku gangs, and hikikomori teens if they really want to address issues of violent crime.

Not to mention a growing segment of the population that has become totally disenfranchised with the antiquated compulsory education system, shrinking domestic job market, and stagnant economy in general...

Oh well, pinning all the blame on foreigners in general for recent spikes in crime tend to make better headlines I guess... 8-p

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Re: crime, From my understanding, the vast majority of so-called "foreign crimes" are for the most part, visa and other immigration-related offenses (overstays, etc.). Hardly the kind of crimes that fit the stigma of "gaijin devils" that is so pervasive in Japan.
p

Yea, I agree only because every foreigner I know of who has already been to Japan was so taken back by it in a good way that commiting crimes wouldn't even cross their mind, it's like walking into a bank with a million dollars in your account, why rob the place when you can make a withdrawl?

Joshua Tree (Grass Pokemon)

In the United States; saying things like that, some boss of the guy just says it was;

-->STRAIGHT-TALK"

What Crimes Are They, Show Me The Proof (maybe crime increased for every group !)

so no matter how people from other country lived in japan, even if he/she already have a family and legal citizenship, they are still considered as foreigner, right?
is there any way to be considered as non-foreigner there?

Originally posted by tsukasa
so no matter how people from other country lived in japan, even if he/she already have a family and legal citizenship, they are still considered as foreigner, right?

Depends by whom. If it's at the government level, just taking up Japanese citizenship is enough. Socially, that's impossible if you don't look Japanese, speak perfect japanese and have a Japanese name. Koreans or Chinese born and raised in Japan can achieve this by changing their name and given they adopt Japanese nationality. For the others that's much more difficult.

Some Koreans are too proud to give up their Korean name and nationality. That usually play agaisnt them as they could be treated as foreigners, which means they could be turned down for jobs or renting apartments, not allowed to vote or possibly suffer discimination at school or work. I don't think Japanese discimination is as strong as in Western countries. You'll not see people lynched because they look different. It's not violent discimination ; rather passive, insidious one.

Originally posted by tsukasa

Who cares? I think you've pleased yourself to too many japanese animation videos to even ask that sort of question. The only reason you even care is because it's your obsession, it's like when Star Wars was in the theatres and people lined up for days, camped out and waited. I'd drive by with people and yell out "WOOOO OO YEAAA STAR TREK!!!" and people would go crazy because it was Star Wars and since it was such a big part of their life they took serious offense to such comments. It's exactly why foreigners traveling to Japan worry about being discriminated, if anything it boosts up your popularity, the urban-myth that every white guy gets anyone/everyone in Japan is true, but then there are total dorks and pocket-protecting kids who dress up as Ryu on a daily basis who figure the same be true but it's not and one of the main reasons why it's not true is because they aren't wanting to be foreigners in Japan, they want to be Japanese, speak Japanese, be in Japan more than be american/canadian/etc.etc., speak english and be in America which originally, wanting to be a foreigner, would have got that person the four-star treatment, rather than leaving them to ask such questions of discrimination, because I have never recieved it, ever, and the only hate I recieve is from other foreigners because I'm playing it out like it's supposed to be played, both boardwalk (usa) and park place (japan) are owned by me and I'll be capitalizing off this monopoly while the rest of you watch your anime and pro-create with your mail-order brides.

Joshua Tree (Grass Pokemon)

"It's exactly why foreigners traveling to Japan worry about being discriminated, if anything it boosts up your popularity, the urban-myth that every white guy gets anyone/everyone in Japan is true, but then there are total dorks and pocket-protecting kids who dress up as Ryu on a daily basis who figure the same be true but it's not and one of the main reasons why it's not true is because they aren't wanting to be foreigners in Japan, they want to be Japanese, speak Japanese, be in Japan more than be american/canadian/etc.etc., speak english and be in America which originally, wanting to be a foreigner, would have got that person the four-star treatment, rather than leaving them to ask such questions of discrimination, because I have never recieved it, ever, and the only hate I recieve is from other foreigners because I'm playing it out like it's supposed to be played, both boardwalk (usa) and park place (japan) are owned by me and I'll be capitalizing off this monopoly while the rest of you watch your anime and pro-create with your mail-order brides."

Quite possibly the longest run-on sentence i've ever seen...

that's impossible if you don't look Japanese, speak perfect japanese and have a Japanese name.

WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR
SOMEONE LIKE THIS ?

a) born in Japan,
b) parents born in Japan
b) Speak perfect Japanese
c) 3rd generation, but ancestors from Korea
d) talk-walk, everything Japanese

e) BUT, have Korean name

Back
Top Bottom