What's new

Octopus - a tasty food or an alien invader?

Haha, this thread reminds me of the infamous scene in the Korean movie, Old Boy, where a big, live octopus was devoured. I heard from a native friend that people love it when the tentacles try to stick to the roof the mouth as they devour it while still alive. That's Korean delicacies for you.
"Old boy " is difficult, full of metaphors and symbols , multilayered movie.The man said he wanted to devour something living.
I'm vegetarian, and in Japan, when I happen to ask if something contains meat, or if they have something without meat, I get one very puzzled look and whispers behind my back.And the reasons I give for being vegetarian(I don't want any animal hurt) are just "hen"(strange).
I remeber a TV show I watched some time ago. One young, cute Japanese girl was preraring Takoyaki but she had to start from the begining.The octopus was still alive,when she decided to cut one of its legs. It tried to run, with its leg nearly cut off, and the girl panicked, began sqweaking "Dou shiyo"(What shall I do?) and kept cutting its leg. One of the professional cooks there stopped her saying that this is too cruel,and she looked very disapointed.

Wow a cook with a heart thats rare

To eat meat is one thing to take delight in an animals pain and suffering is about as low as you can get

Theres no convincing these people either thay already ditached themselves from reality and empathy years ago

I'm sorry if i sound angry i don't mean to i just can't help it

Really i never knew that the temple thing

one of the things i like about the Japanese the most is that they show respect even to a creature they eat

Thats a rare and noble thing

You know something i think that is wonderful the temple

The one thing people like me look for is not people to be totally vegetarion but to have respect and knowledgment

If I ate octopus I would make sure it was thoroughly dead and in many peices as to make sure I couldnt recognise it as a whole thing.

I went to a Japanese sushi resturaunt once, alot of stuff was just pushing my limits of what is edible, when I saw a little lobster or whatever on a block of rice comming past on the conveyor, seemingly staring at me, I decided I had had enough. 😊

The problem with Japanese food is alot of it looks alive or like it could re-animate.

Natto looks like it could hatch into something alien and nasty. :p

tampopo,

Just as you ordered: A nicely done, easy off the bone squid steak...

Giant_Squid_Fillet___Daruma-1.jpg

Oh you meant beef?

I actually thought about buying Old Boy this weekend; a friend told me about the scene with the "I want to eat something living" and while that would be... odd... the movie itself sounds good.
Now, on the topic of space aliens, I'm a little surprised nothing Cthulhu has been posted before now:

It was the first thing I thought of when I read your post. :p

Octopusses are good but I prefer squids and here is the picture of the fried squids which I like very much.

It's called ニ辰ニ谷ニ椎?ニ停?愴丹ニ稚ニ停?ーニ辰 (ika ringu furai)ツ in Japanese, literally "fried squid rings". Tastes a bit like a fried chicken and it's really good!
👍

It's gotta be better than that fishy, bitter tasting squid that my friend ordered the other night and enjoyed so much. I could hardly get the one I tried down.

... damn this is a weird thread, but quite funny. I have to say the exploding head and eyeball thing freaked me out a bit.

one of the things i like about the Japanese the most is that they show respect even to a creature they eat
Thats a rare and noble thing

Is this sarcastic? Go to Tsukiji sometimes and watch them hack at a fish or something then let it bleed to death while it twitches. I'm not getting on Japan, as America is far worse, but this sounds a bit off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom