What's new

Question Obtaining a new COE after my previous one expired

petehsiung

Registered
26 Nov 2019
Hello,

I am originally an US citizen currently living in South Korea. I am new to this forum. I've tried searching all over the internet for this answer to this question.

Before I ask this question, long story short, my COE (certificate of eligibility) with this ALT company based in the Fukuoka region had expired I think months ago after I told them to cancel my job offer with them. They informed me that it has been issued this February 2020. However since I had a change in plan and changed my mind at that point, they never gave me the COE needed to convert to a "instructor" work visa at the nearest japanese embassy. And given we are in this pandemic, I think the validity of that COE has been extended to 6 months but I am not certain when it had expired.

In any case, the last time I checked with this ALT company that gave me the initial offer, they informed me that my COE had expired a while back and no longer has connection to them in regards to immigration and the COE.

On the other hand, I have obtained a new provisional offer with another ALT company that is around the Kanto region. And my contract with them would be starting around March 2021. They have not submitted in the paperwork for the COE yet. However depending on the pandemic situation, they informed me that they plan to apply for the my COE in about the next few months (possibly around December 2020).

Here is the question, if my previous COE already expired before with another ALT company, would I be eligible to obtain a new COE with a new ALT company/school in the future? Will there be a penalty or justification needed to apply for a new COE? So far , my hunch has been that since my COE with another ALT company had expired, it should clear the way for a new COE with that new ALT company I decided to sign with.

Peter

Other members will probably have more relevant experiences and information but I think the previous COE should have no bearing on the new application. If anything, it may help in that if you were eligible and it was issued previously then there should be no barrier in getting the new one.
I imagine this is a common scenario and I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you for letting me know. I have even been trying to find out if my previous COE has been returned back to immigration, especially if it has expired. So far, I have contacted that previous ALT company about it via email. Yet so far I am drawing a blank there.

I guess if it has expired, then I'd be in the clear to get a new COE via a new workplace, whether or not I know that the previous COE has been returned?

I don't think there is any "returning" of the COE. It either gets used or it doesn't. I don't think they care after it's expired.

I actually was informed by another agency that places teachers in Japan that the previous CoE had to be returned before they could reissue a new one, whether it is expired or not. Otherwise if it is outstanding, then immigration would not reissue a new one.

Now the problem is even finding out if it has been returned or not.

Explain your situation to the 2nd employer (congratulations, by the way, and politely ask if they can check on this for you if you are unable. You'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom