What's new

Can I work and stay in Japan after my Monbusho Scholarship expires?

Corinth L

後輩
19 Jan 2009
Hi, I am currently in the final year of my PhD. course in Japan, as a Monbusho Scholarship (Research Student) recipient. The terms of my Scholarship mentions that a plane ticket to my home country will be provided upon the expiration of the Scholarship. But like most of my friends, I would like to work and live in Japan instead. Is this possible? Can anyone please provide some suggestions?

If your visa runs out, no. And, if you finish schooling before it expires, you will likely not be able to stay much longer on it because you would not be a student.

Want to work here? Find an employer willing to sponsor you for a work visa.

Yes, you can.

You must do your Shukatsu, job-hunting activity, like other students first.
But under the coming iceberg era for newly graduated students, Japanese or ryugakusei, it might be possible that you cannot get a job before you graduate from your school. In that case, you will have to change your resident status from student to short-term stay.

You can extend the short-term stay visa once, so you can legally stay and conduct your job-hunting here for 180 days in total.

For more info, esp., about your MEXT scholarship after changing your resident status, you should contact the student bureau/union or else at your school like below.
http://www.cie-waseda.jp/lifeatwaseda/menu_left/license_e.html

Hope your good luck.

You are about to obtain Ph.D. Have you discussed this with your supervising professor? You must have accumulated some contacts already outside the university during your Ph.D study. As you will be highly specialized in your field of study, these contacts should be exploited. Post-docs in academia, research positions in private or public institutions, etc.
Japan Science and Technology Agency also maintains a database of such positions. Contrary to its name, this database includes positions in humanity&social sciences as well.
JREC-IN Portal
(The site has two databases, Japanese and English. Japanese database contains more offers.)

Back
Top Bottom