What's new

Non-residents Japanese gets married!

dekayed

後輩
25 Aug 2010
Hi to everyone.
I'm sooooo glad I found this forum because it makes me feel my situation is not that particular and difficult.
I'll go straight to the point.
I was born half-JP and half-Italian. I have always lived in Italy so I am not a resident in Japan. I have never abandoned Italian citizenship because in this country it is not illegal to have two citizenships; on the other hand, i am allowed to own the Japanese passport ONLY, so that I am Japanese to the Japanese Government (they said it won't be a problem until it becomes mandatory to show an "Italian citizenship renounciation" document - don't know the English word for this neither, sorry).
Nothing too serious anyway. 😌
Now I need to get married to my girlfriend, that is, she needs to get married to me for some work reasons, and we must do it in Japan for some other reasons related to the fact that she needs it to be done so (bureaus in Italy mean bothering stuff).
I have two doubts now.
1) do I need to have some documents issued before I can get married in Japan? I assume I'll have to become an official resident before, and that's OK to me because in October I'll start living there. But does anyone know if it's something I can do easily or if I will have to wait months before the Government is sure about me being a honest native Japanese? Being a non-resident Japanese, will I need to do some particular things before I can get married in Japan, things that a resident doesn't need to do?
2) will my girlfriend need an Alien Card to get married in Japan? Being Italian she doesn't need a visa to enter Japan, but the passport might be not sufficient for marriage. In case she needs the Card, could she apply for it before going to Japan? That would be quite hard for her to ask for extraordinary vacation days for one month or longer.
I am sorry for not speaking English propoerly, this is the best I could do, and the Japanese words for this topic are a dark mystery to me. :sorry:
I hope someone has some useful informations from which I could start researching because at the moment I am totally ignorant about this, and my father lives in Italy since the 80's so he knows just as much.
I hope this "someone" will have the time and will to read and reply :rolleyes:
Thanks so much to all you competent guys, I found some interesting informations on this forum.
Be well,
S.K.

... so that I am Japanese to the Japanese Government (they said it won't be a problem until it becomes mandatory to show an "Italian citizenship renounciation" document - don't know the English word for this neither, sorry).
Nothing too serious anyway. 😌
Now I need to get married to my girlfriend, that is, she needs to get married to me for some work reasons, and we must do it in Japan for some other reasons related to the fact that she needs it to be done so (bureaus in Italy mean bothering stuff).
First , if you have a Japanese passport, you are a citizen of Japan so it does not matter if you have not even been to Japan you can go there anytime and live there the rest of your life (That is if you have a Japanese passport) And that document you speak of is usually required when you are obtaining your citizenship and if you allready have a Japanese passport I doubt very much you will ever be asked for it again. (But if they find out you have an Italian passport your Japanese one could be confiscated and your will have to choose a citizenship or forfeit your Japanese one)
I have two doubts now.
1) do I need to have some documents issued before I can get married in Japan? I assume I'll have to become an official resident before, and that's OK to me because in October I'll start living there. But does anyone know if it's something I can do easily or if I will have to wait months before the Government is sure about me being a honest native Japanese? Being a non-resident Japanese, will I need to do some particular things before I can get married in Japan, things that a resident doesn't need to do?
If you are a Japanese You don't need to have a wedding in Japan, all you need to do find out where your "honsekichi" (窶怒ツ静絶?冢) is (This is where your family records are kept) and from there fill in the necessary forms needed to have you make your own "koseki" (ナ津仰静? this is your registered information in Japan or family registration if you will) and to be taken off your parents "koseki" (ナ津仰静?family registration). You will then have to get forms from your wife's embassy (Italian I am guessing) to have her put on your "koseki" (ナ津仰静? family registration). And you will be officially married, no ceremony needed. You can find out what forms you will need by going to the city office that store your records, thats why you need to find out where your "honsekichi" (窶怒ツ静絶?冢). Why don't you talk to your Japanese parent? They should know all this.

2) will my girlfriend need an Alien Card to get married in Japan? Being Italian she doesn't need a visa to enter Japan, but the passport might be not sufficient for marriage. In case she needs the Card, could she apply for it before going to Japan? That would be quite hard for her to ask for extraordinary vacation days for one month or longer.
I am sorry for not speaking English propoerly, this is the best I could do, and the Japanese words for this topic are a dark mystery to me. :sorry:
I hope someone has some useful informations from which I could start researching because at the moment I am totally ignorant about this, and my father lives in Italy since the 80's so he knows just as much.
I hope this "someone" will have the time and will to read and reply :rolleyes:
Thanks so much to all you competent guys, I found some interesting informations on this forum.
Be well,
S.K.
Your girlfriend will not need anything other than a tourist visa to go to Japan and get those forms filled out. But if she wants to stay there with you for an extended period, she will need to apply for a spouse visa and that usually takes up to 2 months to receive it. So if her tourist visa runs out she will need to go back to Italy until it arrives. If you could get all that paper work done in the first few weeks in Japan, I don't see why she would run out of time though.

But I don't know the laws in Italy and it would be wise of you to consult the Japanese embassy in Italy to see what is and isn't possible and what forms you will need to gather.

Hey Dave.
That was a precise and fast reply. Thanks a lot and hat off.
I only own the Japanese passport because my father suggested to do so in order to be sure I'm not doing something illegal - and that found a confirmation in your "short guide", so I shouldn't have problems when I go back to Japan.
I called it "a wedding" because in Italy marriage and wedding are things you can't have without one another, but I understand from what you say that in Japan I can have a legal marriage without haveing to celebrate, and that's perfect because I'm intersted in marriage only. Gooood to know.
Anyway, what I understand is that I will be able to get married since I will have my koseki moved from my parents' one to my own personal one. According to what seems to be the corresponding document in Italy, it would mean something like "I don't live with my parents anymore, I am a family on my own". After that, I should be able to get married.
I hope that is correct.
So, as for my position, now that I read that I shouldn't need any specifical documents as a non-resident, I think I will have to ask my family about this, they definitely can help me.
As for my girlfriend, now I know enough to go and consult the Japanese Embassy in Italy. I really was a bite confused and I needed some informations to understand what I really need to ask. It would have been embarassing to go there and not to remember what my doubts were hee hee.
Thank you so much, your help was really useful and appreciated.
Best wishes,
K

Back
Top Bottom