What's new

Need Tag Translation On Nambu Holster WWII

azboater

後輩
6 Oct 2017
This tag is on a WWII Type 94 Nambu Holster I have acquired, forgive me if it is not properly oriented,
Is the the Japanese Soldiers Name? or possibly Patriotic Slogans?
Label.jpg

Thanks as Always, in Advance for the Translation, if Possible

Looks like a name 中塚 隆次 which could be Ryuuji Nakatsuka but there are other possible readings.
And some numbers on there as well. Not sure what they represent, it doesn't appear to be a date. Maybe a unit #?

Looks like a name 中塚 隆次 which could be Ryuuji Nakatsuka but there are other possible readings.
And some numbers on there as well. Not sure what they represent, it doesn't appear to be a date. Maybe a unit #?

Mdchachi,
Thank You
Can you tell me the numbers?
どうもありがとうございました

Mdchachi,
Thank You
Can you tell me the numbers?
どうもありがとうございました
I don't know military organization but looks something like this:
二六六八二 → 26682 (service number?)
東二六 → East 26 (battalion?)
に隊 → 4th Regiment(?)

The に here is similar to A, B, C, etc. In Japanese, this traditional style of alphabetic order is い ろ は に... So in English it would probably be translated as the 4th or D (Regiment or Division or whatever).

Last edited:
The reading of his given name might be Takatsugu.
26682 might be the unit number or something (the 26th or 266th Infantry Regiment, for instance).

Here's how I'm seeing it. The 26th is an eastern division with the 4th being the regiment that is attached to that division although looking up it says it was with the 2nd division. 26682 is most likely part or all the service number. Anyways I hope this some what helps you.

I suspect that all the writing other than the stamped name is fake and was added later.

The Imperial Japanese Army didn't use the service number unique to each soldier. The number changed when he moved to another regiment, so the large number such like 26682 didn't use as a service number.
Here's a typical Imperial Japanese Army soldier's dog tag. The large number 14161 on the right column represents the regiment, and the small number 90 on the left column is the one to identify the soldier.
IJA dog tag.jpg

Back
Top Bottom