How do I change these to the nai form.
およぐ
つかう
はいる
だす
つてる
そうじする

thanks gusy

Did they not give you any materials in your class?

Scroll down to the "Negative" section: How do Japanese verbs conjugate?
The ones I posted I can't figure out. This is this coming weeks class so the material hasn't been covered yet. Trying to figure stuff out on my own before Saturdays class. The teacher goes super fast and when I've asked questions in the last class, I think I annoyed her. But I do it with a sense of humor, so everyone in class laughs. Me, too!

OK, I think I figure out the above except these..

はいる はいわない
だす ださない
すてる すてわない
そうじする そうじらない

Are the above correct?

ださない is correct. The others are wrong.

Notice that the わない ending comes when the original verb ends in two consecutive vowels: au, harau, etc.

する changes to しない

ださない is correct. The others are wrong.

Notice that the わない ending comes when the original verb ends in two consecutive vowels: au, harau, etc.

する changes to しない

So, そうじする becomes そうじしない
はいる becomes はいない?
すてる becomes すてない?

Hairu becomes hairanai

This is an area of Japanese learning where I think it is actually easier to see what is going on if you write it in romaji.

Hairu becomes hairanai

This is an area of Japanese learning where I think it is actually easier to see what is going on if you write it in romaji.

OK, I'll make the correction. Thank, Mike.

I see, like if the consonant is shi for like hashiru then for the nai form it becomes "ranai" ? I hope that is right for this example.

Last edited:
You have an instructor and a textbook, right?

You should have been taught that there are two major types of verbs (plus two main irregular verbs: kuru and suru). The two major types of verbs are sometimes called Type 1 and Type 2, but other terms may be used instead. The two types conjugate differently from each orher. Verbs ending in ru (hashiru, miru, kaeru, etc.) could be of either type, so for each of these ru verbs you must learn whether it is a Type 1 or Type 2 verb.

If you are not being taught in this way, it is probably inefficient. This is a standard way of teaching Japanese verbs.

You have an instructor and a textbook, right?

You should have been taught that there are two major types of verbs (plus two main irregular verbs: kuru and suru). The two major types of verbs are sometimes called Type 1 and Type 2, but other terms may be used instead. The two types conjugate differently from each orher. Verbs ending in ru (hashiru, miru, kaeru, etc.) could be of either type, so for each of these ru verbs you must learn whether it is a Type 1 or Type 2 verb.

If you are not being taught in this way, it is probably inefficient. This is a standard way of teaching Japanese verbs.

We are actually getting into that as of this week, I'm preparing for the class ahead of time so I'm just learning this without the instructor at the moment. Kind of difficult because the examples are not all that are given in lesson 2 material. Maybe hidden in it somewhere and overlooked. But the て form is the main study for the lesson, haven't or overlooked the ranai form. Thanks for the "ru " verb endings. Got to review all this stuff today.

Trying to get ahead or prepare in advance is commendable, but when you do that you should follow the textbook, otherwise you may end up not only wasting your time with an inefficient study method, but also creating unnecessary confusion.

The only thing I would recommend trying to learn ahead of time is the vocabulary from the upcoming lesson, not the grammar.

Trying to get ahead or prepare in advance is commendable, but when you do that you should follow the textbook, otherwise you may end up not only wasting your time with an inefficient study method, but also creating unnecessary confusion.

I'm glad I tried to get prepared for the lesson in advance. What's good about the class is that the sensei gives the examples that are in the textbook and allows us to use what vocabulary that we know. I'm not that advance on a vocabulary, but I try to use what I know to make the classmates laugh at my way of expressing myself in what is being learned in class. Also the teachers noted that I did this weeks class before it was assigned so I think think they feel I'm motivated, but puzzled why in the world didn't I immerse myself in this language all these years. Anyway, I'm going at the best I can. Just need to keep being prepared because the class instruction does move really fast. The assignment for next week is the て form. I've completed that, now just have to remember the vocabulary and the kanji .

Back
Top Bottom