What's new

Need 2 Words Translated

Baximus

後輩
8 Sep 2008
Hello All,
This is my first post to this site and I'm really hoping someone will be able to help.
-
I've studied Aikido for 8 years, and am almost ready to test for my 1st dan (Shodan) rank. My sensei would also like me to study calligraphy with him, since I've shown an interest to each painting he has done for others.
-
The other day, I asked him if he would paint me a calligraphy as a Shodan reward if I were to pass my test. He said, "With pleasure... and I already know what I'd paint for you."
-
I was THRILLED... until... as with many Japanese-born teachers, I have to identify what he plans, before he will do it.
Attached are the characters he had in mind... I'm hoping someone will be able to help me identify them.
-
Please Help!

Last edited:
With that in mind, i'm pretty sure you are correct in your assessment with the first picture being Justice (Seigi, I believe). However I think Loyalty might be wrong. I was thinking since the first is 'Justice' the other might be 'Truth' (Shinjitsu, I think). I think this because by profession, I'm a police officer. So I think he may be going with that theme. Any chance that's correct? Would love some more feedback!

Thanks for the offer on the test taking, but I think I'd rather have the honor of passing it myself, ha! I really love this art and it's theme of "harmony" really suits the kind of person I am.

Please let me know if this symbol is 'Truth'. If it's not, would someone please post the correct form of 'Truth' so I might be able to propose a revision to Sensei's thoughts? I appreciate the help. Keep it coming!

Thanks for the offer on the test taking, but I think I'd rather have the honor of passing it myself, ha! I really love this art and it's theme of "harmony" really suits the kind of person I am.

Congratulations on missing my point.

Sorry, this is not about the kanji, but Aikido is a well-known martial art with certain image, "anybody welcomes the young/old/male/female".

It must be just something like a rumor but the real aikido training where the young and strong J riot police takes is so hard that they even vomit after it.

If you have a chance, the US-J exchange program or something, please try it and share your experience for your 2nd-dan. No picture is needed.

From a Judo lover

Is it true that Aikido masters can blow off attackers without even touching them?
I suppose if they dodged and the attacker didn't properly manage his balance and energy, maybe the master WOULDN'T have to touch him... But generally there is almost always going to be a degree of contact.
Sorry, this is not about the kanji, but Aikido is a well-known martial art with certain image, "anybody welcomes the young/old/male/female".
It must be just something like a rumor but the real aikido training where the young and strong J riot police takes is so hard that they even vomit after it.
If you have a chance, the US-J exchange program or something, please try it and share your experience for your 2nd-dan. No picture is needed.
From a Judo lover
I'm almost offended when you say "REAL" Aikido training. I try extensively in Aikido and it just so happens my O-Sensei, Takashi Kushida, has taught our techniques to the Tokyo police force, thank you. I also train in Krav Maga for a much heavier touch, and modern weapons applications, when I need them. Thanks for your post!

Back
Top Bottom