What's new

News Nazi-themed host club in Osaka

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
An Osaka-based host club displaying Nazi devotionals and SS uniforms has been causing a tsunami of outrage on social media. Ignorance is not always bliss, in this case, it's disgusting.

Is this really what female Japanese customers want to spend a ton of money on? Pretty sick.

nazi-host-club.jpg

nazi-host-club02.jpg

This is the link to the holding company. They are running a large number of host clubs, not sure if their Nazi club is still online.

Is it really that surprising? America doesn't have a monopoly on idiots, you can find them everywhere!
Hard to imagine it's pure ignorance. The original designer got this aesthetic inspiration from somewhere.

Not sure if this is a strictly Japanese thing but there seems to be a tendency to divorce fashion from its historical and cultural context, focusing entirely on aesthetics. Another recent example I've seen is the cholo/lowrider culture, having come to Japan stripped of much of its cultural underpinnings:

Part of the nazi strategy was to create an authoritarian aesthetic that some found appealing, collaborating with design companies that are still around and influencial today. I guess that aesthetic still appeals to some.

Still, how tonedeaf do you have to be to start a business like this?

Hard to imagine it's pure ignorance. The original designer got this aesthetic inspiration from somewhere.
I didn't say it was ignorance, I said they were idiots. Maybe they assumed there would be a bunch of Neo-Nazi's in Osaka, but I think you would have to be an idiot to assume that. ;)

Part of the nazi strategy was to create an authoritarian aesthetic that some found appealing, collaborating with design companies that are still around and influencial today. I guess that aesthetic still appeals to some.

Still, how tonedeaf do you have to be to start a business like this?
Ok, sure, but they copied the Swastica emblem too. That is a bit beyond just the general aesthetic.

Although maybe we all have it wrong and they are just really into Buddhist temples? :p

Ok, sure, but they copied the Swastica emblem too. That is a bit beyond just the general aesthetic.

Although maybe we all have it wrong and they are just really into Buddhist temples? :p
Oh yeah, not just "fascist-chic," but overtly "nazi"

I'm just trying to think of why they would do this and who it would appeal to... the only options I came up with (in order of likelihood) are people who don't know, don't care, or are outright supportive of the third reich.

This is the link if you want to contact the company. I've just done.

Looks like international backlash has led to the club closing, and the parent firm is apologizing claiming ignorance, which is standard operating procedure when you're caught trying to capitalize on fascism.

Kinda weird for Vice to call Osaka a "southern prefecture," but I doubt anyone will raise a stink over that.

They knew exactly what they were doing and what the symbolism means, because of the level that they took it to. It's more a matter that they didn't think there would be such international backlash.

Back
Top Bottom