What's new

Print Club

Chipi

Yancha
10 Mar 2003
I received some cute little sticker pictures from my Japanese penfriend a little while ago. This thing called the Print Club was something totally new for me, so it made me wonder, if it's just us here in the north, or is the Print Club unfamiliar to other countries as well?

Is it very common in Japan, and how about other countries?
How much does a camera (?) like that cost, and how does it actually work?

I just thought that you could use for many useful purposes as well, and of course, to take some funny pictures too.

Originally posted by Chipi
I received some cute little sticker pictures from my Japanese penfriend a little while ago. This thing called the Print Club was something totally new for me, so it made me wonder, if it's just us here in the north, or is the Print Club unfamiliar to other countries as well?

Is it very common in Japan, and how about other countries?
How much does a camera (?) like that cost, and how does it actually work?

I just thought that you could use for many useful purposes as well, and of course, to take some funny pictures too.

http://www.polaroid.com/products/pr...bmLocale=en_US&bmUID=1052825389864&PRDREG=POL

Do you mean something like this? They're really cheap.

No i don't think it's like that.

The pictures I got, were something like 2cm x 2 cm in size (sorry, i don't know the us etc.meazures), and you could put some cartoonish images in the picture as well.
For example you could take a picture of youself and then place the image of yourself on the sky with stars.

Originally posted by Chipi
No i don't think it's like that.

The pictures I got, were something like 2cm x 2 cm in size (sorry, i don't know the us etc.meazures), and you could put some cartoonish images in the picture as well.
For example you could take a picture of youself and then place the image of yourself on the sky with stars.

I'm not a yank, so I use metric as well. Was it like a photo booth or a handheld camera?

Print Club, or Purikura as they're called in Japan look a bit like a regular automated photo-booth.
You stand in front of a screen with a digital camera on the top. On the screen you can select several backgrounds and when you take a picture your image is imposed on the background. You can also add different backgrounds and other graphics afterwards.

You find these things all over Asia and i've even seen them here in Holland. Don't think they'll be as popular here in Europe as they are in Asia, though.

Attachments

• pokemon.jpg
    pokemon.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 143
Originally posted by Twisted
Print Club, or Purikura as they're called in Japan look a bit like a regular automated photo-booth.
You stand in front of a screen with a digital camera on the top. On the screen you can select several backgrounds and when you take a picture your image is imposed on the background. You can also add different backgrounds and other graphics afterwards.

You find these things all over Asia and i've even seen them here in Holland. Don't think they'll be as popular here in Europe as they are in Asia, though.

Those things are all over Vancouver... do they cost the same as a regular photo booth?

Konnichi wa everybody!

Purikura as they are in Japan, are only found in Japan. (as far as I know) You can first take your picture's and after that you have 120 seconds to modify your purikura on a computer-screen before they are printed. You can also choose the sizes yourself. The size of the photo-paper remains the same, but you can choose how many pictures and which ones you want on it.

The cost is 400 yen.

(The reason I know this is because my ex-girlfriend was so hooked to purikura that I couldn't escape from them.) :p

I hope to have been of help.

Mata ne!

Ooooo...now I see ..and I thought it was a some sort of carriable camera, stupid me 👏

Oh well, thanks for help everyone, now I know it :)
It's a shame though, that it's a booth, and not a carriable camera...a gadget like that would've been sort of fun to own..

Well, if you have a digital camera and are a bit adept in Photoshop, you can easily create pictures like that yourself. Probaby with better results.

hi!

it's true that with photoshop you could create better photos, but I don't feel its the same. When I first visited Japan I thought printclub was a silly idea... until one of my friends forced us to go into an *entire shop filled with them* and we took lots of pictures. Then we ended up doing the same wherever we went at tacky tourist spots (up a tower in Osaka etc...). Once you get into the spirit of it its actually great fun to have silly minature stickers with fairly poor quality pictures on 😄

But... I tried one of them in the UK this year - and typically only half of the photos worked, and the writing we did was backwards and upside-down!!!!:angryfire

Back
Top Bottom