What's new

Mochi ideas needed please!

Geisterbahn

後輩
6 Feb 2010
Hello from London,

The amazing owner of the pan-asian grocery shop I go to has very kindly given me some fresh mochi today, which she's recently made. I've never had it before, and I'm looking for some help on what to do with it. I've been looking online for ideas, but I don't have sweet bean paste and I was wondering what everyone's favourite way to eat mochi is, to give me some ideas. Grill/fry/ other? And what is best to eat it with for you?

Also, as it's fresh, should I keep it in the fridge?

Thanks!

Dominic

Hello from London,

The amazing owner of the pan-asian grocery shop I go to has very kindly given me some fresh mochi today, which she's recently made.
Please define "freshly made." Is it still soft or has the surface hardened already?

If it is hard, grill mochi pieces on a grill or toaster oven until they are golden and start to puff up. Pour soy sauce to taste. Wrap with yaki-nori and eat. If you don't have nori, eating it just with soy sauce is good as well.
If you like it sweet, mix sugar into the soy sauce and eat the mochi with it.

Also, as it's fresh, should I keep it in the fridge?
Yes, if you're not going to eat it right away, keep it sealed in a Ziploc bag and store them in the vegetable section. It doesn't keep well, however. You need to eat them up before mold starts to form. If you have a lot and can't finish, the last resort is to freeze it. Otherwise, cut mochi up into small cubes and dry them completely.
To eat, deep-fry cubes slowly. You get age-mochi, which is delicious.

Back
Top Bottom