What's new

Bento Box Ideas

Smeagol

先輩
20 Aug 2007
First of all, i love the whole idea of a 'Bento Box' but totally lack any ideas of on what goes into a bento. Am not completely clueless, i know bento boxes work on a 4:3:2:1 bases, with foods that are eaten cold. Any liquid should be either contained to stop contamination of other ingredients or packed in a way that its contained in it's own quadrant :)

Its what to cook and add into a bento box that i am clueless about lol

So any ideas or recipes to add in a bento would be great 👍
Does anyone know of any safe links to good sites too?

Got another question, does anyone know where i can get a nice 3 tier bento box to buy via a shop or an online store that are willing to deliver to the uk if abroad? :)

Let me know 🙂

Last edited:
The most of the time we use left overs from the previous day...
Things to put in a bento:
rice (riceballs)
Saugages (the small ones... the other joke isn't even funnY)
salad
nuggets
Hard egg
pickels
karage...
etc

lol That restaurant is based in London, do you think they deliver to Plymouth where i am living at, and do they offer a discount on the price :p by the way, whats "osechi"? am new to Japanese food, so need help now and again :)

sorry, not sure how it was delivered to his flat. i just ate :p
probably by royal mail. he had to book a month before though.
osechi is a big version of bento you eat on new year's day

Osechi - Wikipedia

Mitsukoshi bento is £16. im not sure its going to be a 3 tier bento, but i bet it looks nice.

lol soz for the confusion, its not to buy one ready made, its that i am after buying an bento box to keep and to re-use daily, perfect for those summer days out wandering around :) tried looking for a store based in the uk, but didn't find a single one yet! plenty of them abroad tho.

Will amend it right now lol soz all :S

Smeagol .your are in UK?
IF you are from malaysia maybe i can help you to get bento box..

btw normaly bento box have sushi, chicken teriyaki or saba..

Most common Ingredients to have

What are the most common japanese ingredients that one should have in thier cupboards? what i have so far:
Sake (dry), miso stock, miso paste, noodles (ramen and udon) tempura mix and dipping sauce, dried shredded wakame, dried spring onion and 1 or 2 other things that i cant remember.
Need to get some mirin, soy sauce (any recommendations) on this? are there any other ingredients that i need to get in, dont want to start cooking and find out that i cant coz i dont have the right bits and bobs in.
:sorry: for being a pain, but am terrible about having what you need first hand, rather be prepared :sorry:
I do need to get veg in which i should be able to goto the local boring supermarkets we have in the UK but unsure on what veg to get in general. :?

What are the most common japanese ingredients that one should have in thier cupboards? what i have so far:
Sake (dry), miso stock, miso paste, noodles (ramen and udon) tempura mix and dipping sauce, dried shredded wakame, dried spring onion and 1 or 2 other things that i cant remember.
Need to get some mirin, soy sauce (any recommendations) on this? are there any other ingredients that i need to get in, dont want to start cooking and find out that i cant coz i dont have the right bits and bobs in.
:sorry: for being a pain, but am terrible about having what you need first hand, rather be prepared :sorry:
I do need to get veg in which i should be able to goto the local boring supermarkets we have in the UK but unsure on what veg to get in general. :?

What I always keep in my kitchen is
- miso
- soy sauce (how about Kikkoman? It's one of the most popular brand in Japan)
- sake
- mirin
- rice vinegar
- kezuri-bushi/katsuo-bushi (shaved dried bonito fish)
- dried kelp (konbu)
- dried shiitake mushroom
(these dried stuff can be used both for making soup stock = dashi for Japanese soup or stew, also they can be used as one of the ingredients as well. Very handy.)
- sesame seeds
- wasabi (in tube)
- karashi (Japanese mustard)

As the most basic seasoning, soy sauce is a must.
Mirin is great, but you can do without it - just add some sugar instead of mirin.
Soy sauce and miso are hard to replace but for most of other things you can find replacement, or just omit them! ;-)

If you wish to try serious Japanese cooking, I'd recommend cooking books by Harumi Kurihara. She's very popuar in Japan, because her recipes are great - not too difficult to follow, comperatively simple to cook, and very tasty.
👍
Amazon.co.uk

now thats what i am talking about undrentide... Bud cheers for the awesome advice... thats the sort of info I've been looking forward to read. 😌
Cheers once again 👍

Back
Top Bottom