What's new

MEXT Scholarship--monthly stipend has been reduced

hello there..

im adlina from malaysia.
really curious to know if 154000 yen monthly (for basic spending, tuition fee exempt) is good enough for me, hubby and 3 yrs son to live in Japan for 2 yrs :?

thanks in advance 🙂

hello there..

im adlina from malaysia.
really curious to know if 154000 yen monthly (for basic spending, tuition fee exempt) is good enough for me, hubby and 3 yrs son to live in Japan for 2 yrs :?

thanks in advance 🙂
You'll have to live frugally but how exactly frugally depends on where you are going. A "one-room" apartment (3 by 3 meters) is probably too small for a family of three. In Tokyo maybe you can rent a 1DK (a bedroom and a dining room) in an old damp wooden building for like 60,000 yen. The rest will go on utilities, food, transportation, clothes, entertainment (kidding)...

To give some perspective:

I lived in a one-room dorm that cost anywhere from 15,000 to 20,000 yen a month depending on how much gas/water I used. I had the JASSO scholarship which gave me 80,00 a month. That left me with around 60,000 a month to spend on whatever I wanted. After you took out food cost and the occasional drinking, I still had some money left over to save. Granted, I wasn't buying a ton of clothing/accessories/toys, etc, but I was able to save every month by budgeting.

I'm not sure how that would translate to a family of three and you'll probably be paying at least 3 times as much for rent, but it gives you a rough idea. Also, where will you be living? Rent in Tokyo is considerably higher than say rent in Sendai.

hello guys..thank you so much for your prompt answer.

@neonfish: thanks ^_^
@Half-n-Half: hiroshima..not tokyo..thanks ^_^
tom_prete: base on da letter from uni hiroshima, the scholar will be 154k yen per month. thanks ^_^

hrm based on your reply..i think its quite hard for 3 of us to live there for that little money in hand..☝

hello there..

im adlina from malaysia.

thanks in advance 🙂

Hi,
the scholarship has been further reduced starting april 2012..
read this post
Scholarship Stipend Cut down from April 2012 (MEXT)

Its now 143000 for you.. I think its enough for living , however with family , there will no saving , remember japan is very expensive .. thats why they pay you so much stipend.. with a husband and child , I think its more than enough..

really ankitravankar? wahhhh very little..☝

Yeah sadly , they have reduced it from this year, which city you will be staying in ? As my experience , for tokyo and osaka.. it will cost around 120000 yen including housing , food and travel expenses . If its not a big city , it will be around 100000 yen with family..
The best bargain will be get university housing , that way you will save a lot of money , university housings are very cheap and comfortable.. and usually they have family houses for families ... please ask you supervisor to help you find one.

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

There will always be people who say 'its more than enough' and 'we should be grateful'.

it also depends on your life style , if you are eating out every time , its not enough.. apartments are expensive , but if you find shops who sell cheap vegetables, grocery etc ... its enough to have peaceful living...
For westerners its always less ... thats what they all say ... for asians its enough

Back
Top Bottom