What's new

MEXT Japanese Studies Scholarship

hmm interesting. you know so many people who've received the scholarship! i don't know anyone from the U.S. who has. did you know if these people receive word from their consulates about the results simultaneously (or at all)?

i applied to waseda, tokyo gaikokugo, and kyoto. aiming a little high perhaps? ^^; they seemed to fit my scholarly interests best though, so i'll see how things work out. how about you? i guess nowhere is too far away when you're in japan, so hopefully we'll both be there :)

Hey Acryllous,

Yeah, everyone recieves a call from the embassy (we only have the embassy here and no consulates), even though you're not accepted. If it comes simultaneously, I don't know, but I think it does. At least it did when they called us about the screening results (1 and 2).

Wow, nice! I applied for Waseda as well! I chose Hitotsubashi -> Waseda -> Tokyo Gakugei in that order.

Acryllous,

Hi! I have been following this thread for awhile as I anxiously await to hear about the results of the MEXT Japanese Studies Scholarship as well. I did not apply through a US embassy, however, and was instead recommended for it through my university. I am going to be studying at Keio University this year (regardless if I receive the scholarship or not) and was told by their international department that results should be out in late July (this was in May). Late July is also when other recipients of this scholarship from my school in the past said their results came. But, they must not be out yet as my understand is they inform you either way of their decision.

Again, I do not know a lot about their selection or application process, so I do not have much information to share. However, I did look into applying through my embassy (Chicago Consulate) this year and when talking with the scholarship coordinator was told that they typically had 6 applicants each year for one scholarship. Although this differs from what some other people have said on the forum, I was also told that the embassies/universities were awarded so many scholarships. Therefore, every year the Chicago consulate only awards one MEXT Japanese Studies scholarship. In the same way, a certain number of students from my university receive the JASSO scholarship/MEXT Japanese Studies each year. Whether or not this is something they outright admit or not, I am not sure and again, I could be wrong. But, this has proved consistent at my school.

For the health insurance, my friend who just returned from a year studying at Keio University said their national health insurance plan was comprehensive, but it cost around 20-30 USD per month.

Anyway, I am not sure any of this information helps. Sometimes it can just increase the anxiety as we wait for a decision. I am curious, though, who told you the results would be released in August? And did they say which part of the month?:?

Acryllous,
Hi! I have been following this thread for awhile as I anxiously await to hear about the results of the MEXT Japanese Studies Scholarship as well. I did not apply through a US embassy, however, and was instead recommended for it through my university. I am going to be studying at Keio University this year (regardless if I receive the scholarship or not) and was told by their international department that results should be out in late July (this was in May). Late July is also when other recipients of this scholarship from my school in the past said their results came. But, they must not be out yet as my understand is they inform you either way of their decision.
Again, I do not know a lot about their selection or application process, so I do not have much information to share. However, I did look into applying through my embassy (Chicago Consulate) this year and when talking with the scholarship coordinator was told that they typically had 6 applicants each year for one scholarship. Although this differs from what some other people have said on the forum, I was also told that the embassies/universities were awarded so many scholarships. Therefore, every year the Chicago consulate only awards one MEXT Japanese Studies scholarship. In the same way, a certain number of students from my university receive the JASSO scholarship/MEXT Japanese Studies each year. Whether or not this is something they outright admit or not, I am not sure and again, I could be wrong. But, this has proved consistent at my school.
For the health insurance, my friend who just returned from a year studying at Keio University said their national health insurance plan was comprehensive, but it cost around 20-30 USD per month.
Anyway, I am not sure any of this information helps. Sometimes it can just increase the anxiety as we wait for a decision. I am curious, though, who told you the results would be released in August? And did they say which part of the month?:?

Yeah, that's what the Detroit embassy told me, too. They're only allowed to recommend one person (and one alternate) for the scholarship. Where at Keio are you going to be? What are you going to study? (I'm at Keio already for Environmental Design.)

Accordingly to studjapan.co.jp, there are some 300:ish students in total each year who will recieve the Japanese Studies Scholarship. That's probably why the amount of recommended students are so few, even in the US.

In any case, I called the embassy today and the person in charge of scholarships told me that they haven't heard anything from MEXT yet and that they usually aren't this late. The embassy will wait this week and if they still haven't heard anything, they will contact the ministry on Monday.

As for the insurance, I asked her about that as well and she told me just as akaitsume1 said that MEXT includes an insurance, but she never specified which kind of insurance it was. But it does cover "a lot" she said.

@shamineau
It was the woman who handles scholarships at the embassy who told me that MEXT usually gives an answer by august (at earliest in late July, but that's rare).

By the way, how many consulates are there in the US?

Last edited:
hey wingu,

there are 16~17 consulates in the U.S. where students can apply for this scholarship. have you heard back from your embassy yet? i still have yet to receive word one way or another ^^;

Hey!

I called the embassy today (again) and asked them what was going on.
Apparently, it wasn't just the embassy in my country which had been calling to the ministry, but alot of countries had. Aparently MEXT has had a lot to do lately and the scholarship handler never got an answer from them. = We still don't know when we're going to get an answer. Maybe this week, maybe not.

Also, she said that MEXT will try to hasten the process now since a lot of countries called.

Hm, oh yeah, I was thinking. Maybe the decision will be delayed until next week or something. This week is Obon festival so a lot of people aren't working...

Last edited:
Hey guys!

An update, I recieved a call from the embassy like one hour ago. I go the scholarship!!!
I'm going to Tokyo Gakugei University this October!
6 out of 8 recommedned got the scholarship.

Hey guys!

An update, I recieved a call from the embassy like one hour ago. I go the scholarship!!!
I'm going to Tokyo Gakugei University this October!
6 out of 8 recommedned got the scholarship.

📣 Congratulations!!!!

Thank you ;D

Unfortunaly, one of my best friends didn't get it. We were so excited about going together >_<

Let's hope Acryllous got it as well!

Oh congratulations Wingu!!!

How exciting!^^ Now that you've gotten word, I'm waiting in great anticipation for my own answer. Since you heard near the end of the work day, I suppose the same may happen for me. I don't think I can do anything but wait at this point... that's how excited/nervous I feel!

Anyways, I'm very happy for you my friend :) I hope I will be able to share in your celebration by the end of the day.

Here's hoping...

Wingu I'll be seeing you in Tokyo!!!!! I'll be going to Tokyo Gaikokugo Daigaku! :D Omgosh I am sooooo freaking excited lol. Time to party it up and then make arrangements to go abroad!

What a great day! :D

Also in October :)

I don't know the fine details yet, but the embassy coordinator told me she will let me know as soon as they become available! I can't wait for this^^

Cool beans!

Yeah, I didn't get much information as well. It sounded like I'm going the first week of October anyhow.
However, we do have a information meeting in the beginning of September so I guess most of my questions will be answered by then

I'm also trying to figure out what kind of accomodation I will get. It seems to be dormitories but also apartment-like accomodations as well.

Hey Acryllous. I was wondering, which date will you arrive in Tokyo and which date is your course supposed to begin?

hey wingu!

im flying out from LA on oct 3 at noon, so i expect to arrive sometime on the 4th... i think. i dont have any idea of when classes begin though. did you receive any information about that? i don't really know anything besides when i will be leaving. i'm a little nervous ^^;

Hey again,

Ah, so you fly out on the same day as me then.
I will also arrive on the 4th, however the "course" is supposed to begin on the first.
I asked them if there were any problems arriving later and it wasn't. But they have someone from the university picking the ones up who arrives on the first. I wonder if there are any who arrives at that date. My friend who is going to Nagoya University is also flying on the same day as me.

We were reommended by the scholarship handler to contact our universities and ask about accomodations, schedules and other questions we might have. I think it might be a good idea that you do that too.

Also, you can look at the course guides at http://www.mext.go.jp/a_menu/koutou/ryugaku/boshu/1288200.htm
Click on the English(Hokkaido Region、Tohoku Region、Kanto Region、Chubu Region) and a PDF file will open up. Search for 'Foreign Studies' and your university will turn up.

hey wingu,

sorry to be so late with my reply. i did as you advised and contacted my school. apparently i arrive on the 4th, just in time for the opening ceremony on the 5th. as for transportation, i pretty much have to find my own way, which i suppose will be a good initial test of my abilities ^^;

as for housing, ill be dorming on campus in fuchuu-shi, a little suburb 30 mins southwest of shibuya. where will you be living? :)

Hey Acryllous, good to hear from you again.

I will be arriving the 4th as well! And jus as you, I will have to find my own way to the dormitory. Those who arrive on the 1st will be guided by a TGU employee to the dormitories. Oh well!

Ah I see! I'll be living in Higashikurume. A suburb west of Ikebukuro. I'm guessing about 30-40 minutes as well. It's gonna be one hectic first day though. I'm planning on getting my alien registration done and open a bank account as well.

Back
Top Bottom