What's new

Meaning of いけない

Yoshie

先輩
19 Apr 2013
I'm struggling to understand the meaning of いけない in the following sentence. What is the point of writing it there? Simply saying that "But you still trying to run away, so it is bad."? Or maybe something like 「それなのに、あなたが逃げようとするからあなたを誘拐しかなかった」, can't imagine how いけない could become it though...

焔「じゃあいったいどこなんだよ。大体、人を誘拐しておいて・・・・・・」
???「誘拐とは人聞きが悪いわね」
???「理由ならちゃんとあると言ったでしょ。それなのに、あなたが逃げようとするからいけないでしょ

I can't say for sure, because I don't know enough context, but I would say it's more like:

[Even though I told you my reasons], you are trying to run away, so of course I have to [kidnapp you/force you to stay after I kidnapped you]

But better to wait for a more experienced person.

I'm struggling to understand the meaning of いけない in the following sentence. What is the point of writing it there? Simply saying that "But you still trying to run away, so it is bad."? Or maybe something like 「それなのに、あなたが逃げようとするからあなたを誘拐しかなかった」, can't imagine how いけない could become it though...

焔「じゃあいったいどこなんだよ。大体、人を誘拐しておいて・・・・・・」
???「誘拐とは人聞きが悪いわね」
???「理由ならちゃんとあると言ったでしょ。それなのに、あなたが逃げようとするからいけないでしょ
Isn't that いけないんでしょ?

いけない means bad, but the subject is あなた.
あなたがいけない=悪いのはあなた/あなたのせい

あなたが逃げようとするからいけない(ん)でしょ
It's your fault for trying to ran away/escape (so I have to kidnap you).

Thank you both for help!
@Toritoribe Yes, it was 「いけないんでしょ」.
Could you please explain how this phrase will change if we write it without ん(の)?

いけないでしょ is rarely used for this meaning, because いく could be misinterpreted as "to go". I.e., it can mean "I can't go since you try to run away/escape" without ん.

This is the explanatory ん, and ~から・・・の/んだ is a structure to explain the reason.

Back
Top Bottom