What's new

matcha (koicha or usucha)

8 Oct 2009
Hi,

I have heard there are two kinds of japanese green tea powder "matcha"...Koicha and Usucha. Now, I'd like to purchase this Japanese Food Hall since 1976

I was wondering if it is koicha or usacha. Just for the record, I am not going to have any tea ceremony I'd just like to have a nice bowl of matcha!

btw, do I have to buy this as well to properly mix the matcha?

http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/koicha-tea-whisk-48.html

Finally, any suggestions on how to prepare matcha is highly apprecieted!

thanks🙂

koi is an adjective for "strong" or "deep" flavor, usui is the opposite, "weak." So this is probably in regards to the strength of the tea's flavor.

御 is an honorific, pronounced "o" or "go," depending on the word. Doesn't really translate to anything, just makes it polite.
抹 is actually pronounced "matsu" by itself, but the "tsu" is turned into a sokuon (signifying a long consonant) when in a compound like this.
茶 just means tea, "cha"

You should try to get Uji-macha, not always true, but as that is generally considered the best.

BTW, does anyone know where I could order the below variety ofツ ツ「窶處テ、ツェ窶慊ーツ」窶堙個「窶ケテ翰廬ツ」ツ? Without returning to Japan. :)

(ツ静??ーツェ)ツ 窶卍ゥ窶敕、窶愿槐スYツ(窶堋?窶堋ウ窶堙絶?堙遺?堋ウ窶堙アツ)ツ (Originally bought Fasola Tax Free Akihabara, 3rd fl. Narita Airport).

Last edited:
just bought the one in the picture I posted above...tried to make a tea with a half spoon of matcha and some warm water in a bowl...all I got is a green liquid that was yummy anyway but not looking like real matcha...I mean no green syrup :p

anyway, I did stir it with a little metal fork as I do not have a bamboo whisk yet ☝

By the way, is it a big NO NO to add some brown sugar?

Larry, you can add anything you want to your tea if it makes you happy. You aren't doing the tea ceremony :p

If your tea came out weak, just add more powder next time. a heaping spoonful is more like it. Just mix well and enjoy. Maybe try varying the temperature of the water; generally things will dissolve better in warmer liquid.

Back
Top Bottom