What's new

matcha (koicha or usucha)

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Reaction score
Hi,

I have heard there are two kinds of japanese green tea powder "matcha"...Koicha and Usucha. Now, I'd like to purchase this Japanese Food Hall since 1976

I was wondering if it is koicha or usacha. Just for the record, I am not going to have any tea ceremony I'd just like to have a nice bowl of matcha!

btw, do I have to buy this as well to properly mix the matcha?

http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/koicha-tea-whisk-48.html

Finally, any suggestions on how to prepare matcha is highly apprecieted!

thanks🙂

Reaction score
by the way, could you please help me with the first kanji? I know the 2 others mean mat and cha

thanks

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
koi is an adjective for "strong" or "deep" flavor, usui is the opposite, "weak." So this is probably in regards to the strength of the tea's flavor.

御 is an honorific, pronounced "o" or "go," depending on the word. Doesn't really translate to anything, just makes it polite.
抹 is actually pronounced "matsu" by itself, but the "tsu" is turned into a sokuon (signifying a long consonant) when in a compound like this.
茶 just means tea, "cha"

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
You should try to get Uji-macha, not always true, but as that is generally considered the best.

BTW, does anyone know where I could order the below variety ofツ ツ「窶處テ、ツェ窶慊ーツ」窶堙個「窶ケテ翰廬ツ」ツ? Without returning to Japan. :)

(ツ静??ーツェ)ツ 窶卍ゥ窶敕、窶愿槐スYツ(窶堋?窶堋ウ窶堙絶?堙遺?堋ウ窶堙アツ)ツ (Originally bought Fasola Tax Free Akihabara, 3rd fl. Narita Airport).

Last edited:
Reaction score
just bought the one in the picture I posted above...tried to make a tea with a half spoon of matcha and some warm water in a bowl...all I got is a green liquid that was yummy anyway but not looking like real matcha...I mean no green syrup :p

anyway, I did stir it with a little metal fork as I do not have a bamboo whisk yet ☝

By the way, is it a big NO NO to add some brown sugar?

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
Larry, you can add anything you want to your tea if it makes you happy. You aren't doing the tea ceremony :p

If your tea came out weak, just add more powder next time. a heaping spoonful is more like it. Just mix well and enjoy. Maybe try varying the temperature of the water; generally things will dissolve better in warmer liquid.

Top Bottom