What's new

Master VS Research Student - Which one should I apply?

angelac

後輩
3 Feb 2016
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and am extremely interested in studying in Japan for my masters. I will be graduating in two semesters from a top Canadian university (Top 40 in the world), majoring in Pharmacology(Lifesci). I'm hoping to take the GRE during the summer.

The thing is, my undergraduate GPA isn't stellar at all, and so am unsure if I should apply for research student first as I've heard that the chances are higher and then apply for masters in Japan, or directly through the G30 English Programs. Especially since I am aiming for Todai/KyotoU/OsakaU. My university has partnership with all 3 universities but I'm not sure if this helps on anything. . Anyone with suggestions/experience? And how important is GPA to Japanese universities? Thank you!

Try to get a supervisor lined up so that you mention them in your proposal. A low(ish) GPA is workable via embassy recommendation (imo).

Try to get a supervisor lined up so that you mention them in your proposal. A low(ish) GPA is workable via embassy recommendation (imo).
Thanks for your reply! I've read on the website that MEXT only offers scholarship to research student as opposed to graduate studies. Does that mean you have to study as a research student for approximately a year and then attend graduate school (masters)?

Thanks for your reply! I've read on the website that MEXT only offers scholarship to research student as opposed to graduate studies. Does that mean you have to study as a research student for approximately a year and then attend graduate school (masters)?

This mostly has to do with the entrance exam. Usually, you have to take the entrance exam in Japan. The timing with applying for the MEXT scholarship and intending to apply to school is a little hard to do if you're currently living in Canada, since usually you should apply to MEXT before you can start the application/exam process to the university.

I think the norm for most students who go through embassy recommendations is to do research student and then enter the graduate program in the next fall or spring and do all the application procedures while they are in Japan. It's not necessary, but the embassy told me that it is really difficult (i.e. almost impossible) to enter school on MEXT without the research student period. That being said, you can enter graduate school in October, if your university allows fall entrance and only be a "research student" for one semester if you're trying to save time.

Back
Top Bottom