What's new

List of 10 common English usage errors

Mike Cash said:
Get that sideways stick out of your a$$ and you can ask me anything you like.
The hotbed of ignorance from which I graduated didn't teach me to think like you so maybe I just don't know how to talk right. I suppose while they were busy dulling my intellect they lodged a sideways stick in my arse so I guess I'm just out of luck.

You could. But I wonder if anyone ever thinks of it that way (people who use it regularly, that is).

Anyway, what about "youse" or "yens?"

If you're bent out of shape over this comment

Mike Cash said:
Whichever ones turn out people who think as I do.

I suggest you reread it. I get the feeling you thought it said the opposite of what it actually says.

I think you misread the question to which that answer corresponds, Glenn,

JimmySeal said:
Out of curiosity, which universities in the world, if any, aren't breeding morons in your opinion, Mr. Cash?

And you're right, youse and yens are real pronouns, but in most areas of the world, people would sound silly using them :)

And he was admitting that he was wrong in his way of thinking with his answer. Did I miss the point entirely? I was pretty sure that was what he was saying.

I don't see any such admission. I asked which universities aren't shabby, and the answer was that the only non-shabby ones are the ones that produce clones of him.

JimmySeal said:
The hotbed of ignorance from which I graduated didn't teach me to think like you so maybe I just don't know how to talk right. I suppose while they were busy dulling my intellect they lodged a sideways stick in my arse so I guess I'm just out of luck.

Perhaps they slipped it in while you were busily fishing through the world's most boring web site in search of an English usage booboo. Or maybe it was while you were busily hunting up dictionary entries which don't quite prove the point you would like them to.

. My whole point is that at this point in time, the "lie/lay" distinction has been lost in English pragmatically, as far as I have heard and read.

It may have been lost in American English, but in Blighty (i.e. the UK) saying 'lay' instead of 'lie' makes one like an American 'wannabe.'

Number 10 is common. If you pronounce "could've" it sounds just like "could of".
Think about it.

The "i.e." I make that mistake alot.

I've read a lot of 'should of'.

The one mistake of one that I just learned of is the i.e. and e.g.

Mauricio

Back
Top Bottom