What's new

Linux internet problem

Tim33

先輩
10 Mar 2005
I recently decided to install Mandrake Linux on my other computer to see what it was like. At the moment however i am extreamly dissapointed, though mainly in my lack of knowledge. Im a complete Linux n00b

I attempted to get onto the internet however did not succeed. I am currently with BT broadband. Having looked on there website i found no support for Linux and no drivers for the hardware supplied. After looking around on the internet i found one however am finding it extreamly difficult to get to work.

Without internet having this OS is pretty much a waste of time.

Anyone else encountered same problem and knows how to solve it.

It connects through USB which i heard from somewhere was a problem with Linux internet.

http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/modems.php?lang=en&modem=48
Thats the driver but im unable to get it to work. The help guide did not work at all as did none of the commands which leads me to believe im doing something silly. Anyone point it out ??

I have mandrake, but I use the traditional network card. Anyhow, my best piece of advice would be to find what your router and modem ip is. once that is so, you can get a good start.

try pinging these addresses, and lemme know which ones don't time out. (copy and paste exactly if you want)

ping 192.168.1.1
ping 192.168.0.1
ping 192.168.1.255
ping 192.168.0.255
ping 255.255.255.255 -b (make sure to get the b)

any reslts, lemme know, and I'll try to help!

a very good tip for ANY kind of connection, get a router!
and connect the router to your pc with trough an ethernet card.
That always works better than some USB modem
I assume it is adsl you are using?

If so, there are plenty of ADSL Routers you can find in stores and they are not that expensive anymore.
Ethernet is much better supported by Linux, even better than windows

If I may also recommend you: Ubuntu Linux
You can find it at Enterprise Open Source and Linux | Ubuntu
It is much faster, very easy to use and supports a lot.

Back
Top Bottom