What's new

Learning kanji compounds

IsaacDavid

Sempai
9 Jun 2019
Answer me this question according to your experience: in order to learn the meaning of kanji compounds is better to learn separately the meaning of each kanji or learn them as one?

Last edited:
You must do both. It is like asking; what is more important, vowels or consonants.

But, having said that, kids learn kanji one by one, and gradually build up their vocabulary to include compound words.

I would focus more on words (compounds) than kanji. You risk spending excess time memorizing esoteric pronunciations that are rarely used if you focus on individual kanji.

I think they go hand in hand - two sides of the same coin. Take a little time to learn about the kanji part of which is learning a bit about how it's used including vocabulary.

Learning the compounds is important because it gives you some real/practical context for your brain to grab onto.

But learning the kanji in isolation is also important because as you get into the language, attempting to understand texts from a wide range of contexts, you'll undoubtedly see the kanji used in compounds that you don't know. If you know the kanji, you can read words you've never been taught - and this means your actually literate in Japanese (that's what we all want to achieve).

Back
Top Bottom