What's new

Learning Hiragana

AeroMuch

後輩
14 Apr 2012
I have recently finished learning Hiragana but it seems that using cards to practice it is not enough. so does anyone know a website or place that i can practice reading Hiragana? i dont know any kanji or katakana yet because my head hurts from 2 hours of non stop hiragana learning, And i still get stuck on a Hiragana or 2 occasionally.

Thanks!

(PS: i used hiragana mnemonics - StumbleUpon to help me learn, it was AMAZING!)

You can try here:
Hiragana Blog | Hiragana Times

80 percent of the words there are in hiragana, and they actually space out words, which makes it easier. But it does not give you the english translation.

If you want to convert the hiragana to romaji to test your reading, you can go here:
Kanji Romaji Hiragana Convert

When you convert into romaji the spacing will be kinda off since your not using kanji, just ignore it.

If you do want to translate word for word you can use one of these.
kantango or download rikaikun (worth it!!)

Rikaikun I recommend more but you have to download. The link to the download depends on what browser your using. Do not use google translate!

Last edited:
You can try here:

80 percent of the words there are in hiragana, and they actually space out words, which makes it easier. But it does not give you the english translation.

If you want to convert the hiragana to romaji to test your reading, you can go here:

When you convert into romaji the spacing will be kinda off since your not using kanji, just ignore it.

Rikaikun I recommend more but you have to download. The link to the download depends on what browser your using. Do not use google translate!

aaah thanks :) i just finished learning Katakana! need to practice or i'll forget

I agree, learning katakana/hiragana is all about practice, repetition is how you learn best. What worked for me was taking some online quizz 5-10 minutes a day for a few weeks on websites such as simplekana.com or realkana.com, after a while you'll get comfortable with these characters and you'll be ready for the real hard work: Kanji...

Personally I found some incredible Apps that helped me a lot. They try to make it fun learning Hiragana and Katakana. iKana is great but it depends on what you are looking for exactly. Some show you just the kanas, others teach you how to draw them and some do both. If you wanna practice then some even have a Quiz. Let me know, and I'll look more into some apps name that may be of interest to you.

When I learned we had pencils and paper. Worked fine.

You can try here:

Hey, I just checked out the Hiragana Times link that you gave above and I think it's awesome. I've been looking for easy-to-read online Japanese contents for foreign learners like me and this is IT. Thanks for sharing. :)

Back
Top Bottom