What's new

Languages

Originally posted by Haivart

Fluent in English; can speak a little Hindi, German, Latin, French, Italian and Armenian. Can read enough to work in all romance languages, northern Indic languages (including Urdu--which means a bit of Persian and Arabic as well), wee bit of Tamil, and learning Thai (which is the reason I'm not learning much Japanese). If necessary, I get into Hungarian and the Slavic languages, and Hebrew. No, I'm not stretching the truth. For some reason, I can learn to read languages rather easily--or at least understand enough to catalog books in those languages.
That is indeed an impressive repertoire, Haivart. My Japanese reading and listening skills are functional, though, and also being a library cataloger (although just for nine months) it would be like an ultimate dream to someday be able to combine the two. I'm also thinking of an extended study program in Japan in two or three years to bring myself up to a more marketable level. Please get back with me if you happen to know or hear of any cataloging-type positions out there that might fit this bill.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

hm... german of course, english fluently, french, some words and phrases of japanese and started learning spanish 3 months ago.

well.. not that much fun... i'm in my 5th year now. it was fun in the beginning, but now...
it's a nice language, but it's hard to lern it with all it's grammatical forms and exceptions...
still, i keep learning it because i'd like to improve myself.^^

english and im learnin japanese at the mo.. i did spanish at school but have forgotten nearly all of it as i havent used it

Originally posted by destiny
well.. not that much fun... i'm in my 5th year now. it was fun in the beginning, but now...
it's a nice language, but it's hard to lern it with all it's grammatical forms and exceptions...
still, i keep learning it because i'd like to improve myself.^^

I see... I'm in my 4th year of french... ^^; I thought it was more fun at the beginningg too... but it's kind of tiering now...
actually, did you want to learn french yourself, or was it because of school?

jovial-jon - yup, languages are easily forgoten, once you don't use them anymore.. ;) so sad..

i had to take it up because in my school, everyone has to take french for at least 4 years. i could've gotten rid of it this year because i started learning spanish in school (you have to do 2 foreign languages), but i didn't want to.^^

:sing: and french, english, german,and russian (handwriting is very interesting and permits to understand the origin of some words and the links with roman common writing), basic italian (quite easy for a french man and so sunny) and spanish (very interesting, it looks easy but it is not , so many words)
:angryfire i am fond of japanese language i have learned the hiragana and katakana and some kangis (1 grade :mad: ...). and i often read (and forget,...anata wa kirei no nihongo wakarimasen...) the typical sentences from the assimil method
I have tried chinese with the pingin method ( i like some chinese films and the sounding is strange...) but i will need another life.
i have tried some greek (very exciting but too hard for me).
now i am starting with arabic, just for pleasure (i 've tried in the past but i stopped.), so it's a second try, the writing is just magic, and i feel i am learning something

To be true i 'm just fluent in French and i feel i understand my dog when it looks at me with his glamouring eyes (and my dog understands me too)...

The question was good but the good question is why all this...
🙂

Destiny - I did french because of school too.. so now you're doing 3nforeign languages?

Marcel - you understand dogs?

I speak english of course and I'm in Spanish 3 in school so I know basics and what not. (well abviously more than basics, my spanish just isn;t that great...u'd think it would be considering I'm in honors....still dun undersand how that happened.) I want to learn Japanese and I was going to take a class.

Russian (1st), English (2nd), functional Spanish (3rd -I did my first translation! Yaay!), learning Japanese, and hoping to learn Korean in the near future. ^_^

I see... hello, in Paris it's very cold today... brrrrrr... right?
but how can one get it... ?? x.x

Back
Top Bottom