What's new

Koreans view on Japanese in America

canadian_kor said:
Yes, I agree. However, I find this phenomenon quite interesting. I wonder why they want to appear less "Asiatic" in the eyes of the world?

I've seen one Japanese TV Meiji Era epic drama from the 1980's,with narration explained Japanese ruling elites IMPLEMENTED 2-FACES OF JAPAN POLICY to present to the world.

The internal side stays as Japanese on preserved traditions,the other is a Westernized version of modern Japan to the outside world.

This WORKED WELL for Japan and Japanese.

waterboy711style said:
I can only speak on the knowledge and views I see in California.
I am a Japanese America, speak very little Japanese and during High School I had many Korean friends. However, in college there is a distinct anomiosity against Japanese whether they be from Japan or just have Japanese blood. I am not trying to convince anyone to change their beliefs only trying to confront the issue of rasicism between a fight that doesn't really affect Japanese or Korean Americans directly. Do parents teach Koreans children that Japan is this ultimate evil that should be hated and everything spawning from it is evil? I have never felt the pain of racisim until today when a Korean made a blunt statement concerning Japanese people are egotistical and HATE Koreans. I looked on the forums and noticed an issue on the K and C and wondered why it was such an important issue to be identified by a western civilization in a specific order?
i don't know about ultimate evil, but my mom did try to teach me about their atrocities.

korean parents dont teach korean kids to hate japanese.. korean kids have more stuff to worry about than spending time hating on japanese..lol..um.. i think its just da media in south korea dat kinda riles up some extreme nationalistic koreans who are mostly from america.. i've noticed da most nationalistic koreans are those who actually live in da states. iono i just kinda noticed it.. but yeah.. iono ppl in south korea kinda got over da fact about japan cuz like japan isnt like a country for south koreans to worry about anymore cuz like i mean its da 21st century there are still some who do have hate towards japanese but like all asian countries have grudges on each other.. asians are da most racist ppl i think especially towards one another which i think is really bad.. but yea no korean parents dont teach their kids to hate on japanese dats a pointless wasteful time to do..but 1 thing that makes koreans mad is that da japanese government tries to hide their war crimes from their own ppl.. i mean japan government is known worldwide for its denial in war crimes..dats y most ppl say if u want information on wars in asia never look at japan's war history or information..dats wat my history teacher told our class lol..

My parent told me that the Japanese would often disdain people when I told them I wanted to go to Japan, but he did mention however that the Japanese Immigrant would not share that mentality and that I should not judge anyone only on their blood or race. I fear that people over-generalize and take for granted that every Korean immigrant are ultra-nationalist because they're not. It really depends on individual beliefs.

^ yes. i totally agree with you on that.
I am, infact, korean and I do not hate japanese people. My parents have told me about the things japan has done in the past, and yes, i do believe that what they did back then was terrible, but first of all, you are not supposed to judge someone by their nationality or race. i think its a shame that the general public of korea is so close minded.

Not to beat a dead horse, here, but everybody seems to be pretty darn close-minded and I'm getting pretty sick of it. I always had rather cosmopolitan aspirations, but honestly, after working with foreigners from all over the world, I've got to say, I'm generally tired of this whole entire "us vs. them" mentality that many of them have when they come to my country. I'm a person who always wanted to develop meaningful friendships with foreigners, not just shallow acquaintanceships. Your nationality is part of your personal makeup, but it is not what solely defines you.

And as for Japanese and Korean Americans... you are Americans first, in my opinion. Like Margaret Cho's joke, your native language is American English. You watch American television, listen to American songs. Your families have found freedoms (socially, religiously, and politically) when you came to America. Just like mine. If Americans should argue, it should be about America, not about Korea and Japan. It doesn't matter if you are Korean, black, Japanese, German, Italian, Irish, mulatto, Cherokee, Hispanic, or white Anglo-Saxon, gay/lesbian or straight, Muslim, Catholic, Protestant, or pagan, so long as your hearts were as American as Levi jeans and apple pie.

Not every American would agree with me. But that's what I think.

Whatever the Koreans think of Japanese Americans is irrelevant, as far as I am concerned. When you come to America, become a citizen, and pledge allegience to the flag, you are American, and anyone who has anything else to say about it can get bent.

Racism in general

When we immigrated from S. Korea in the 70's, black and hispanics always to used make fun of us as we were yellow skinned.

Typical words when walking on the street were "chink, chinaman, chino, and some words that I cannot pronounce."

Anyway, all this Korean, Japanese, Chinese thing gives me the creeps since we're so much alike than different. It's only until 90's that the "Japan" was known to the West because Japan brought goods that were far better than American, and cheaper too. Korean is going through similar trend right now. If you're not sure, watch dramas like Ju-mong, or Winter Sonata.

Just remember that the Korean and Japanese language were borrowed from Chinese. It's kind of ironic that the Japanese makes fun of the Chinese and Korean when almost all of the customs were borrowed from them.

Anyway, I am just making a point that this issue of Chinese, Japanese, Korean is silly and destroys the very fabric of the nature of being a compassionate human beings.

Just remember this next time when you think of negative things about another kind:

Love, not hate.
Give, not take.
Heal, not kill.
Open (in mind), not close.
Perservere, not give up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom