What's new

Katakana question

Inter

後輩
3 Feb 2003
Hi!

I have just learnt all the katakana. I can read all menus in katakana the book, but when I am watching a japanese movie and when there comes up katakana words I can't understand them but I can read them, I am using the Easy Katakana book, but my question is:
should I spend some more time to learn the katakana vocabulary also, or is it a waste of time?

Thanx for your help

Jonas

Inter,

Katakana is actually one of the most difficult aspects of the language, especially to understand since you're "listening" for Japanese and if English isn't your native language. Of course there are thousands of loan words that generally speaking appear in katakana, but other than that there really isn't a hard and fast "katakana" vocabulary per se since it is also used a lot for Japanese words in advertising and for names of flowers/plants in place of "difficult" kanji, for instance. One thing that might help, though, is next time you see something you don't understand, to run it through one of these automated translation systems like Babelfish or Niftygate and see what you get.

LangTech - Japanese Translation Tools | Japan Forum

Or consider investing in a dictionary like this one I carried everywhere for three years until the meanings became clearer from their context.

Tuttle New Dictionary of Loanwords in Japanese: A User's Guide to Gairaigo (Tuttle Language Library): Taeko Kamiya: 9780804818889: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:
Yes, it is true that Katakana is used for loan words of languages other than Chinese. However, katakana is sometimes used for regular Japanese words for emphasis; sort of how in European languages we use italics or bold-face writing to emphasize something. And since Katakana is used for all non-Chinese loanwords, you could possibly run into a French, German, or word from another language.

Sorry, I can't explain it in English. So,^-^;...
時間の無駄だと言うより、カタカナの語彙も勉強するべきだと思います。カタカナで書かれた語彙の大多数は英語からの外来語ですから外来語を勉強する時その単語の元々の英語語彙と比べながら勉強すればそのルールが少しずつ分かることができるのでございます。どうせ外来語って英語や他の言語の発音の真似をするだけですから、ただ日本語の文字で英語語彙の発音を真似したのですからちょっと変な感じがするのだと思います。

Originally posted by piaoyongjin
Sorry, I can't explain it in English. So,^-^;...
時間の無駄だと言うより、カタカナの語彙も勉強するべきだと思います。カタカナで書かれた語彙の大多数は英語からの外来語ですから外来語を勉強する時その単語の元々の英語語彙と比べながら勉強すればそのルールが少しずつ分かることができるのでございます。どうせ外来語って英語や他の言語の発音の真似をするだけですから、ただ日本語の文字で英語語彙の発音を真似したのですからちょっと変な感じがするのだと思います。
英語からの言葉を知っているけれど「役に立つカタカナ の規則」がないと思います。だから初心者は日本語の発 音し方がわかる前にただ暗記をするべきでしょう。

例えば:
counter-> カウンター (terーー>ター)
market->マーケット (t->ト※これは語彙がtで終わる時にだけだと思います。 )
カタカナ語彙っては日本人の英語発音を真似するもので す、日本人の英語発音に気を付けたら分かりやすくなる はずです。

Originally posted by piaoyongjin
例えば:
counter-> カウンター (terーー>ター)
market->マーケット (t->ト※これは語彙がtで終わる時にだけだと思います。)
カタカナ語彙っては日本人の英語発音を真似するものです、日本人の英語発音に気を付けたら分かりやすくなるはずです。
日本人だけではなく、英語の方言にも[ter = ta ; ker = ka]ような終わる「r」の音節の発音を変わります。どうしてかわからないけど。

ほかに何か英語ーーカタカタの規則が有りますか?

終わる「m」の音節を「む」になります。

英語の言葉の中にある「r」だったら「r」の前の母音を「長い母音]になる場合が多いと思います。たとえ:sports--「スポーツ」

英語の終わる「d・t」の音節をど・とになります。英語でも[d」とか「t」ような発音はささやきです。

Back
Top Bottom