What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Katakana numbers

Sxmni

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Is it possible to write katakana numbers? I found such a picture, but nowhere else can I find information about this ... I am interested in the numbers from 1 to 15. Please help me.
original (1).jpg

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Hi Sxmni and welcome to the forum.

Yes, it is possible to write katakana numbers, but I recommend you use the hiragana renderings rather than the katakana renderings.

Your renderings are correct

Are you using katakana renderings for any particular purpose?

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
As Buntaro said, you're better off with hiragana or kanji. You can write numbers in katakana in the same way that you can write the number seven in italic, but you wouldn't normally unless there was a particular reason.
If you're asking how to write the katakana numbers from 11-15, you just put the characters next to each other, so 13 would be ジュウサン.

Sxmni

Registered
Reaction score
Hi:) Thank you very much for your answer! Yes, I have a specific purpose, I need to use the numbers from 1 to 12 as marks on the watch, that is, the count of time, can I use katakana for this purpose? the fact is that kanji does not fit, since it causes association with China, and hiragana does not fit the general style, because it has smooth and round shapes.

Last edited:

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
My opinion is yes, and it may make a striking and attractive design, but Buntaro is the expert on Japanese, not me.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Hi Sxmni,

Now I have a better idea of what you are looking for.

It sounds like you want a watch that ‘looks Japanese’ and does not ‘look Chinese’ So, yes, I guess this would rule out a watch in kanji.

You also do not want to use hiragana because the edges are too round.

Well, then, yes, I guess this leaves you with only katakana.

14 ジュウヨン

15 ジュウゴ

Let us know how it turns out.

文太郎より

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
I need to use the numbers from 1 to 12 as marks on the watch
Your aim is to know the correct katakana numbers, and not to learn Japanese, so I'll simply show the answer.

11 ジュウイチ
12 ジュウニ

Also, シチ and キュウ are more appropriate for 7 and 9, respectively, in your case. ナナ is acceptable for 7 if you prefer it, though.

You can use both シ and ヨン for 4, but ヨン is more preferred. シ is often avoided because the pronunciation is the same as "death". Actually, there are many hotels/hospitals where "Room No.4" doesn't exist, or buildings where the fourth floor doesn't exist in Japan(the floor above the third is numbered as the fifth).

Top Bottom