What's new

Kaomoji and how to type + read Japanese fonts

S

Seyumi

Always wanted to type those cute Japanese facey's you've seen on Japanese forums/elsewhere with ease? Well I decided to help you guys out a bit since it doesn't look like there's been a topic about this yet nor one on exactly how to type and read Japanese font (I've seen a few but were just on random posts). I'll start out with Kaomoji since that's the main point in the topic but I'll have a section on how to type and read Japanese fonts just incase you don't know and introduce myself at the end since this is my first post.

Kaomoji introduction and images:

We've all seen stuff like :) and ^^ which are Kaomoji but not true Japanese ones we've seen on popular Japanese forums or on random stuff like anime or chat in Japanese games like Final Fantasy XI. I pretty much made a few files which have around 300 preprogrammed Kaomoji you can play with and use whenever. There's also an advanced version for people who can actually read/understand Japanese. I'll also show you how to manipulate the file to your liking. Anyway, here's all the faces incase you were wondering what they are: (some of them might be cutoff by a part of it going down to the next line)

・゚・(ノД`)・゚・ \(^-^)/ m(__)m f(^-^;) f(-_-;) _(._.)_ ^_^: ^^; ^/^ )^_^( )^o^( (iдi) (i-i) (__) (^~^) (^v^) (^o^) (^_^;) (^_-) (^^) (^○^) (^0_0^) (^0^) (^.^) (^-^;) (TдT) (T_T) (T-T) (@_@;) (@_@) (@.@) (?_?) (>_<) (;д;) (;-;) (0_0) (._.) (..) (-_-) (-.-) φ(..) (^-^) (;_;) (-_-;) (--メ) (+_+) (*_*) ∑(゜△゜;) ∑(。。) ъ(`―´) ъ(`―^) ъ(`―゜) ε=(~Д~;) (⊃д⊂) ●~* (б.б) (ノ゜o゜)ノ (●´―`●) (℃_゜) (=゜ω゜)ノ ( ̄_ ̄) ( ̄― ̄) (´з`)y-~ (´ε`) (´д`) (´Д`;) (´∀`) (´~`) (´―`) (´_ゝ`) (゜д゜) (゜Д゜) (゜∇゜) (゜~゜) (゜―゜) (゜-゜) (・o・) (・ω・) (・ε・) (・∀・) (・◇・) (・×・) (・・) (・_・) (~o~) (~―~) (;゜д゜) (*゜―゜) 彡`∀´) Ψ(`∇´)Ψ Σ(゜д゜|||) ヽ(`д´)ノ ヽ(´―`)ノ ヽ(;´д`)ノ ( ̄。 ̄)y-~~ (´・ω・`) (;´д⊂) (・w・) ( ^-^)_旦~ (=´∇`=) (;゜ロ゜) (*´д`*) (*^-^*) (*'-') ((((゜д゜;)))) ('з') ('◇')ゞ ('~') ('-') ('д') ('∇') (σ'-')σ (σ・∀・)σ (σ ゜д゜)σ (`・ω・´) へぇへぇ∩ヽ(・∀・) (;´ρ`) (・_・;) (・。・;) (・・;) (゜ー゜;) (゜▽゜;) (ーー;) ヽ(;・ー・)ノ ヽ(゜ー゜;)ノ Σ(・ー・;) Σ(゜ー゜;) ヽ(´Д`;≡;´Д`)丿 \(゜ロ\)(/ロ゜)/ Σ(゜Д゜;≡;゜д゜) !(^^)! !(´▽`) (-_-メ) Σヽ(゜Д゜; )ノ (´Д`;)ヾ /(;-_-) ( ̄~ ̄;) /(-_-)\ (ー∇ー;) ヾ(゜ー゜ゞ)( 尸ー゜)尸 (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ==== ┻━━┻ U>ω<)ノ o(`ω´*)o ヽ(`Д´)ノ (-。-) (=_=) (~_~;) (。_。) (。。) ┐(´∀`)┌ ┐(´ー`)┌ ∩(・∀・)∩ ∩( ・ω・)∩ ヽ(ー_ー )ノ ヽ( ̄ー ̄ )ノ ヽ(  ̄д ̄;)ノ (_ _,)/~~ (/- -)/ ∑( ̄□ ̄;) Σ(゜д゜lll) Σ(゜Д゜;≡;゜д゜) (°m°;) (°O° ;) ( ̄△ ̄;) (^^;;) (;°ロ°) (;゜0゜) (つ∀-) (-_-)zzz (* >ω<)=3 (*T^T) (>ε<) ( TДT) (;O;) (;_:) (>Д<;) (´;ω;`) (´Д⊂ (ノД`) (*ε* ) Σ(・ω・`;) Σ(゜Д゜) Σ(´∀`;) _| ̄|○ ○| ̄|_ ( ゜д゜)ノ (ω・ )ゝ ( ̄ー+ ̄) (☆∀☆) ( ・ω・)? (・。・)? (・・? (σ´∀`)σ (σ´Д`)σ (σ ̄ー ̄)σ ( ゜o゜)ノ ( ゜Д゜) ('Д') (゜Д゜#) ((((;゜Д゜))) (((p(>o<)q))) \(>o<)/ ((((〃⌒ー⌒)/ (* ^ー゜)ノ (=゜ω゜)ノ (-人-;)(;-人-) (_ _(--;(_ _(--; <m(__)m> <(_ _)> _(。_。)_ m( __ __ )m ( ´_ゝ`)/~~ ( ´∀`)/~~ (;_;)/~~~ (^^)/~~~ (^。^)/~~~ ( ・ω・)∩ ( ゜Д゜)∩ ・⌒ヾ(*´_`) ||ヽ(*゜▽゜*)ノミ|Ю ( ´ー`)y-~~ (-。-)y-゜゜゜ ε=(~Д~;) |ー゜) (#^。^#) (*^_^*) (*^。^*) (/ω\) (^^ゞ (〃 ̄ー ̄〃) (゜∀゜ )三 三( ゜∀゜) (゜Д゜≡゜Д゜)? (`Д´≡`Д´)?? (  ̄ノ∇ ̄) ̄ー ̄) ( ゜∀゜)人(゜∀゜ ) (・∀・)人(・∀・) ヽ(・∀・)人(・∀・)ノ ( iдi ) (゜ーÅ) (つд・) o(ToT)o (o・_・)ノ"(ノ_<。) 三 (lll´Д`) ( ^▽^) ( ゜ー゜) (^。^) (゜▽゜) (´ー`) ( ̄ー ̄) ( ´O)η !∑(゜∀゜) ゝ(^。^)ノ ゝ(^O^)丿 \(^O^)/ (;°д°) ∑( ̄△ ̄;) (^_^) ( ´∀`) (´ 3`) (つ´∀`)つ (*´ -`)(´- `*) (゜O゜) (゜。゜) (゜゜) (≧∇≦)b v( ̄Д ̄)v ъ(`ー゜) ┐(゜~゜)┌ (^◇^) (°∀°) (^O^)/ (^^)/ (´∇`) ヽ(´ー`)ノ ≧∇≦ Ψ(`∀´)Ψ (;´д⊂ (´∩ω∩`) σ(゜∀゜ (´∇`) ≧∇≦

Just incase all those came out as a bunch of weird squares/symbols or question marks to you, here's a picture of what it look liked. If you couldn't read those, scroll more towards the bottom of this post before the introduction on how to read Japanese font.

The text files and how they work:

The original file was from a Japanese website for the MMORPG Final Fantasy XI which I got many years ago. So I can't really credit the original person who came up with all the faces. I also edited the file greatly excluding all the FFXI sayings and duplicate/non-JPish faces.

They're two different text files. One for people who can read fluent Japanese and one for those who can't (which is probably most people) What's the difference between the two? Let me show you.

The basic version you pretty much just type the word kaomoji and you get a list of like 270 faces or so. (it seems like a lot to scroll through but the faces you use auto default themselves to the top of the list so it's easier to access the ones you use the most). Here's a picture:

The advanced version is pretty much the same thing but most of the faces are categorized. An example is like typing the word ありがとう (arigatou: thank you) and you'll get a list of like half a dozen faces which have like good/thankful expression. Here's a picture and an example. Notice all the こんにちわ (konnichiwa: hello/good afternoon) have welcoming expressions while below it ごめん (gomenn: sorry) have expressions of forgiveness.

You can also edit these yourself easily. It's obvious that the leftmost column is the word you have to type to get that face. You can add more lines and put your own faces you made in there or add/delete/switch some around. You can create your own word you have to type and put your own category of faces in there.

Practically every face you see there comes from the kigou menu. Type that and you'll get all the small little pieces that compile that list or you can even make your own. I'll make one right now: 凸(´◇`)凸 (the middle fingers are from totsu…lol)

By the way…if your OS isn't Japanese or not in "Japanese mode," when you open the text documents all the Japanese characters won't look right even if you have Japanese fonts installed. This is what it will look like.

This will not matter unless you want to edit the files yourself though. They will still install properly. But if you want to know how to enable "Japanese mode," Scroll to the bottom of the post again.

Here are both the files, I also posted again at the bottom incase you missed it:

Files

Basic Kaomoji Version Zip Download (online txt)

Advanced Kaomoji Version Zip Download (online txt)

How to install:

(This is only for Windows XP. In the past I assumed it would only be slightly different on older OS's but I "heard" you can only do this on XP. This applies to everything: how to install, read, type, ect.)

First thing you need to do is access your language bar. This is what it should look like and where it should be (if it's currently trying to type Japanese) (Also for some reason if you have an internet explorer maximized all the buttons on the language bar grey out, so just minimize IE)

If it's hidden then just go to your control panel and then Region and Language options. (switch to Classic View if having trouble finding it) Click the Languages Tab, then hit the details button. When the new window pops up hit the "Language Bar" button at the bottom and configure how you would like it being shown.

Anyway when it's up hit the tools button (purple toolbox looking button. then the Conversion Training Wizard button. In the next window just browse where you saved the Kaomoji text file. After clicking next it will analize the text document and open a new window. Picture:

There will be one big button in the middle saying "Dictionary tool" and Finish. Click the Dictionary Tool button to proceed further or you can access it again in the Tools menu on the IME bar. After that a new window will open up called the Microsoft IME Dictionary Tool . Click on the Tools button at the top and click "Import Text File." Again browse the same Kaomoji text file you saved and that's it! Just type the word kigou and you're good to go. Picture:

For people on a Japanese OS or in "Japanese mode", it's exactly the same thing it's just the text is in Japanese.

Reading Japanese Fonts

If you couldn't see those characters properly, it's because you don't have Japanese font installed on your computer. It's very easy procedure to be able to read Japanese fonts. I believe there's a few links to the Microsoft website to download quick IME reading packages (don't know them) but I'll show you how to truly install the fonts (it's like a 230MB package) to the point where you can type them as well instead of just reading (well on Windows XP anyway)

Just go to your Control Panel and click on Region and Language options. Click the Languages Tab and click on the bottom button saying "Install Files for East Asia languages" you'll need your Windows XP CD since it installs quite a large amount of files. After that it may require a restart (I forgot) and that's it. Here's a picture:

How to turn your OS into "Japanese Mode"

Another easy procedure but has small consequences if stayed on the mode. Just go to your Control Panel and click the Region and Language Options button. Click the Advanced tab and at the top dropdown box find "Japanese."A restart will be required. Here's a picture:

They're ups and downs to being in Japanese mode but it's just as easy to switch back to your original language than it was to change it. While in Japanese mode more Japanese things will display properly. Example is like a text document with Japanese in it, Japanese programs that display a bunch of ????'s or squares and symbols while trying to run will now display proper Japanese, ect. The downsides are if you're trying to install programs or something the setup may be in Japanese (if you can't read JP might be a problem). Or when you run it it'll be in Japanese (Nero for example). Another is your default font changes to something uglier in something like Internet Explorer. Some websites will look a lot different. Another example is like Microsoft Word. Typing in something like an apostrophe will look normal to you but if you like post it on the internet it'll look like some weird Japanese kanji instead to everyone else making your text look jacked up. Just something I noticed.

How to type in Japanese

First thing you need to do is setup a Japanese keyboard. (Don't worry you don't actually need a physical one just change around some options.) Again go to your control Panel and click Region and Language Options button. Click the Languages tab at the top and hit the Details button. Just click the "Add button" on the middle right and scroll till you see "Japanese." Then click the Keyboard layout/IME button and click "OK". After doing this a language bar will popup on your desktop. You can configure it a bit in the "Language Bar" button at the bottom after you click OK. That's pretty much it, now how to actually type. Here's a picture:

Typing can be tricky and a pain. The default way to shift from your language to another one is holding down Left Alt+Shift at the same time. You also sometimes have to hold down Left Alt+~ (tilde). Just keep pressing these two until it switches. You can switch back the same way.

When you type in Japanese it'll originally be in roman (just English looking characters). It's also by default in hiragana. Most Japanese words have kanji to represent the word. Press the spacebar to bring up the kanji list (if the word has one), also it displays the Katakana version of the word which you can also do by pressing F7 (press F6 through F10 for different options, also you can press the same button multiple times for more options) Just a tip, pressing spacebar and getting the first Kanji is "usually" the right one you want to use but don't count on it. Remember that words have multiple meanings and kanjis. Example I want to type Tree き (ki) and when I press space, the first on the list is this: 気, but I want 木 which is like the 4th one down. Just be careful. Example of what it looks like when pressing space bar while typing Japanese:

Introducing myself

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself first as this is my first post even though I've been browsing these forums almost everyday for the past half a year. Even though I just applied to this forum and a different one, I've been browsing as a guest for quite a while. I'm a 3rd year college student with a major in Aerospace Professional Pilot and a minor in Japanese. I chose the Japanese minor a few years ago because I just thought the whole culture and language were interesting and I respected it more than anything. I occasionally watched anime and I use to play a Japanese only MMORPG I imported like 4 years ago which later become integrated (Final Fantasy XI if you couldn't figure it out) which I guess got me into Japanese more than the average joe since I was being forced to have conversations with the Japanese in real time and I enjoyed it.

Through a few drastic changes and screw-ups I'll unfortunately probably have to switch my minor and my major which seems the most logical thing to do in my case. If I have to pick up on a new major I'll probably have to push an extra year or two which is something I don't have time for/cannot afford (airplane fuel is expensive ^^;) Right now I'm scheduled to get a B.A. in Japanese language and Culture w/ an Aerospace minor in the University of Texas at Austin (I'm originally from California though) and will graduate in Spring of 08. I've been doing a lot of research this past 6 months and I'm kinda excited about the whole ALT thing and wanted to start out being a JET but got a feeling I'll be overqualified and will have to start out private instead like Aeon, Geos, or Nova. Anyway I won't be posting much if at all but I'll always be around. See ya :p

Files

Basic Kaomoji Version Zip Download (online txt)

Advanced Kaomoji Version Zip Download (online txt)

I believe more people knowing this will spread the Japanese culture/language even a bit more on these forums. Nothing wrong with a few hundred more facies either Ψ(`∀´)Ψ

I'm one of the world's chief haters of emoticons/smilies....but I do applaud you for putting this handy reference together and sharing it with others.

And after having my eyes glaze over while skimming through the explanation of how to wrestle Windows into Japanese compatibility...I appreciate anew the benefits of having the Japanese version of Windows installed and not having to mess with all that crap.

I agree with you Mike, I'd prefer the Japanese version AND a Japanese keyboard, because it's a hassle how I have to work now.

Thanks for the smileys Seyumi !

RockLee said:
I agree with you Mike, I'd prefer the Japanese version AND a Japanese keyboard, because it's a hassle how I have to work now.

Thanks for the smileys Seyumi !
I can not for the life of me get used to a Japanese keyboard. :p

Finally, after four trips to Japan and hassling with Japanese keyboards each time, I finally learned on my last visit how to revert back to Roman letters.

ArmandV said:
Finally, after four trips to Japan and hassling with Japanese keyboards each time, I finally learned on my last visit how to revert back to Roman letters.
It's the placement of tildes, and squiggles and commas and all of that that get me, and as a software developer who can blind type, hunting for a semi-colon really effects my speed! ナスd窶罵窶堋ェ窶督ウ窶堋「窶堙仰。

yukio_michael said:
It's the placement of tildes, and squiggles and commas and all of that that get me, and as a software developer who can blind type, hunting for a semi-colon really effects my speed! ナスd窶罵窶堋ェ窶督ウ窶堋「窶堙仰。
It's just a matter of adjusting I guess? Anyways, here in Belgium we work with AZERTY, so whenever I get a QWERTY in my hands I start to freak! I'll just have to adjust to the Japanese keyboard when I get one this summer.

RockLee said:
It's just a matter of adjusting I guess? Anyways, here in Belgium we work with AZERTY, so whenever I get a QWERTY in my hands I start to freak! I'll just have to adjust to the Japanese keyboard when I get one this summer.
I think the Japanese keyboard is mostly laid out the same as a qwerty keyboard, but all the symbols, plus, minus, etc, are all over the place--- so instead of learning two keybarods, mr.sumo (from jref) showed me how to just turn the mapping back to the keyboard I was used to... the only downside to that is the physical keys are still the same.

~ By the way--- to the OP, I think this is one of the best first posts I've ever read! Nicely done.

Google may help !

I typed in "basic & advanced Kaomoji" and got 1,860 replys back on it. Hopefully it will have the updated info you need there?

Uncle Frank

:?

Back
Top Bottom