What's new

Kanji reading for 二十日

Armando

後輩
15 Apr 2017
Hi,

I just started learning kanji, probably this question is due lack of knowledge, however, I have the question for はつか (20th day of the month), which is form from 3 kanji 二十日

二 (ni, ji or futa)
十 (juu, ju, tou o to)
日 (nichi, jishi, hi, bi or ka)

How comes that together they form the word はつか, I understand か comes from kanji 日 but はつ? How did we get to はつ?

The Japanese once had their own way of expressing people's ages and the days of the month using words of Japanese origin.

In writing using kanji, all of these words came to be written in the Chinese way, which is simple, streamlined and regular. The spoken versions of most of these words were also replaced with words in the Chinese style, using the on-yomi of each character in the word. A few of the Japanese words were popular, though, and have been retained. Today, these words are written in the Chinese way, but still spoken in the Japanese way, so they are irregular. They should be treated as special readings.

A couple more examples:
一日 is usually read as "tsuitachi" instead of "ichinichi" (when referring to the first of the month)
二十歳 is read as "hatachi" instead of "ni-juu sai".

The Japanese once had their own way of expressing people's ages and the days of the month using words of Japanese origin.

In writing using kanji, all of these words came to be written in the Chinese way, which is simple, streamlined and regular. The spoken versions of most of these words were also replaced with words in the Chinese style, using the on-yomi of each character in the word. A few of the Japanese words were popular, though, and have been retained. Today, these words are written in the Chinese way, but still spoken in the Japanese way, so they are irregular. They should be treated as special readings.

A couple more examples:
一日 is usually read as "tsuitachi" instead of "ichinichi" (when referring to the first of the month)
二十歳 is read as "hatachi" instead of "ni-juu sai".

Thank you for the explanation, ok so tsuitachi, hatachi, hatsuka will consider them special cases that can't be expected to be read with onyomi nor kunyomi readings :) more like traditional words previous kanji was introduced into Japan.

Incidentally, Japanese has tons of compound words whose readings have nothing to do with the readings of each kanji, i.e., 熟字訓.
e.g.
南瓜:かぼちゃ
河豚:ふぐ
紅葉:もみじ
流石:さすが

Incidentally, Japanese has tons of compound words whose readings have nothing to do with the readings of each kanji, i.e., 熟字訓.
e.g.
Thanks, 漢字は迚も難しいですでも面白いもです

Unlike to nouns, も can't be attached to adjectives. "The -ku form + もある" and "the stem + でもある" are used for i-adjectives and na-adjectives, respectively.
e.g.
漢字はとても難しいです。でも面白くもあります。
漢字はとても難しいけど、面白くもあります。

この部屋はきれいだし、静かでもあります。

Unlike to nouns, も can't be attached to adjectives. "The -ku form + もある" and "the stem + でもある" are used for i-adjectives and na-adjectives, respectively.
e.g.
漢字はとても難しいです。でも面白くもあります。
漢字はとても難しいけど、面白くもあります。

この部屋はきれいだし、静かでもあります。

Didn't know も couldn't be used with adjectives :) the more you study the more you realize you still need to learn.

有り難うございました

e.g.

And among these types of words there are even some quite common ones, the kanji versions of which are likely to be encountered by a beginning learner, including:
大人: おとな
昨日: きのう
今日: きょう
明日: あした / あす
下手: へた

Back
Top Bottom