What's new

Kanji cards

dasch

後輩
8 Aug 2004
Hi,

I am currently looking for Kanji cards (not electronic but those in real paper ;).

On Amazon.com, I found these three choices:

- "Kanji Study Cards" by James W. Heisig. It seems quite attracting (especially because I've already got the book) but it's VERY VERY expensive (130 USD !)

- Kanji Cards vol. 1 by Alexander Kask. It's very cheap (14 USD) but I read very bad comments about it. It also uses romaji which I don't like at all.

- Japanese Kanji Flashcards by Max Hodges, Tomoko Okazaki. I only read good comments about this one. However, it does only cover 284 kanjis.

So, here are my questions:

1/ Do you know any other set of kanji cards that I would have missed ?

2/ Which set do you advise me ? I have to say that I am not ready to invest 130 USD in a kanji set, so normally I already scrapped the set by James W. Heisig.

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Dasch

If you search the bittorrent sites such as suprnova etc you should be able to dowload some, but you will have to print them out and cut them yourself though :)

thereisnospoon said:
If you search the bittorrent sites such as suprnova etc you should be able to dowload some, but you will have to print them out and cut them yourself though :)
Or if you're sitting in front of the computer anyway you might as well get the legally-free equivalent of flashcards. e.g. JFC JFC Support Information or similar program.

Printable cards - These are barebones cards generated from KANJIDICT. It's free, except the printer ink ($30~) and paper ($15~) that you need to print 170 pages double sided, and a lot of manual cutting. 😌

If you search the bittorrent sites such as suprnova etc you should be able to dowload some, but you will have to print them out and cut them yourself though
Yeah I know that. But there aren't (yet) enough cards. Btw, it's not illegal because it's distributed as torrents by the guy who made them (Learn japanese kanji, hiragana, katakana - Learn kanji, hiragana, katakana, japanese grammar and vocabulary for free

Or if you're sitting in front of the computer anyway you might as well get the legally-free equivalent of flashcards. e.g. JFC JFC Support Information or similar program.
Thanks @PaulTB, but I am looking for real cards. I don't like "studying" in front of my computer.

Printable cards - These are bare bones cards generated from KANJIDICT. It's free, except the printer ink ($30~) and paper ($15~) that you need to print 170 pages double sided, and a lot of manual cutting.
Thanks paper even if I already knew that one. However I do think that in the end it will cost more than commercially cards and it will be worst quality (because of the paper quality).

So, nobody ever bought one of the three sets I presented in my original post ?

I've seen the Kanji cards in the third link you have there.

They rock :p I'm thinking of getting them myself when I have the money and time. I haven't seen the others, but the ones I did see looked to be more than enough for use.

I own the Heisig Cards. They're very nice and come in a neato-cool box. The cards themselves are pretty thin, but decent enough stock. They are perfect for studying along with Heisig's books. They're in the order that you learn them in "Remembering the Kanji," by Heisig and you'll use the readings when you're going through Heisg Vol II.

Are they worth the cost? I dunno. I spend way too much on learning Japanese because I can. If you're a starving student, you're probably better making the cards your self. Get the Heisig book and some 3x5's and go to town.

Yeah, I've been making the cards myself. I started before the option to buy existed, AFAIK. But I think it might be better that way, cause you get the writing with the story and all. I think it helps to reinforce it.

You don't get the full Heisig story on the cards. Just the radical meanings. Like 願 just has "meadow... head" for mnemonics (is that how you spell that??).

Yup, you got it right. 👍

[Edit] Heh, I totally missed this the first time I read it.

Fantt said:
You don't get the full Heisig story on the cards. Just the radical meanings.

I would imagine that he wouldn't give you the story; that's what the book is for. I just meant that when coming up with the story and saying it to yourself, it helps to write the kanji, too, because I think that it reinforces the writing and meaning. Of course, you don't have the advantage of having the cards made out for you in a neat and consistent manner. Some of the kanji that I have written on my cards just look awful, not to mention the ones that I screwed up. And that's not taking into account the English keywords that I screwed up. :D:sick: But I guess that's what practice is for, ne? :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom