What's new

kanji book

Bradsan

後輩
3 Feb 2010
well guys i was wondering what's a great kanji book that shows how to write and read it any help thanks ^_^

Heisig "Remembering the Kanji" is great for learning meanings and how to write. It helped me a lot. Don't really have a recommendation for readings.

Heisig "Remembering the Kanji" is great for learning meanings and how to write. It helped me a lot. Don't really have a recommendation for readings.
so if i get that book it will show me how to pronounce the kanji well thanks helps

so if i get that book it will show me how to pronounce the kanji well thanks helps

no, that's not right. That book will help you to write and know the basic meaning of each kanji. It doesn't touch readings/pronunciations at all.

do you know any that do ?

yeah, most of the ones on the market except for that one do. I never had much success using them though. Learning readings character by character is really boring. I think it's much better to just read Japanese books/magazines/manga and learn the readings through context. If you are just starting out you should start with kids books since they will have the pronunciation written above the characters (what is called furigana).

Anyway, that's what I suggest. Do Heisig and learn how to remember the kanji, then start reading real Japanese stuff for the readings.

yeah, most of the ones on the market except for that one do. I never had much success using them though. Learning readings character by character is really boring. I think it's much better to just read Japanese books/magazines/manga and learn the readings through context. If you are just starting out you should start with kids books since they will have the pronunciation written above the characters (what is called furigana).
Anyway, that's what I suggest. Do Heisig and learn how to remember the kanji, then start reading real Japanese stuff for the readings.
well thank you ^_^

Brad, you'd be better off learning vocabulary that "kanji readings" -- out of context and in random order, remembering those things isn't easy. Just learn words. When you learn a word, learn how to write it.

Brad, you'd be better off learning vocabulary that "kanji readings" -- out of context and in random order, remembering those things isn't easy. Just learn words. When you learn a word, learn how to write it.
so whats a good book so when i learn a new word to write the kanji

They're called "dictionaries." ;)

Yeah. Basically look through any kind of grammer book or beginners book or whatever and learn the vocab they use and if there is learn the kanji too. You can even do this online for example on Tae Kim's website if your hover over a word he uses thats in Kanji using the cursor while Rikaichan is enabled you'll see the word with Kana pronounciation. Depending on where the cursor is press shift and the Rikaichan display box will change and you'll see that individual Kanji's readings and better yet below you'll see the entry numbers that many dictionaries have for that Kanji so you don't have to spend ages looking for it. Then using the dictionary learn the stroke order, practice practice practice and there you go.

👍

Genki I and II is pretty good for your first 200 kanji or so. There are many kanji books out there and I've used some of them. Some try to come up with ingenious ways to help you memorize them easily. I however find them quite useless. With language it's all about familiarity and memorization. You just need to keep reading material in Japanese, from easy to hard. I downloaded the JLPT kanji list and installed a stroke order font to practice on my own. To familiarize myself with actually reading them, I read Japanese blogs and wikipedia with the help of rikaichan and a furigana injector. This method I guarantee you will build up your kanji bank faster than any kanji book out there.

Genki I and II is pretty good for your first 200 kanji or so. There are many kanji books out there and I've used some of them. Some try to come up with ingenious ways to help you memorize them easily. I however find them quite useless. With language it's all about familiarity and memorization. You just need to keep reading material in Japanese, from easy to hard. I downloaded the JLPT kanji list and installed a stroke order font to practice on my own. To familiarize myself with actually reading them, I read Japanese blogs and wikipedia with the help of rikaichan and a furigana injector. This method I guarantee you will build up your kanji bank faster than any kanji book out there.
thank you so much ^_^ rikaichan helps heaps

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom