What's new

JREF meet in Shiga - May 2013

Sounds like I missed another great time on Mars, but thanks to the detailed accounts I can almost imagine I was there after all! Maybe next year...

The many Orbs visible might not be proof of Spirits enjoying the good vibes, of course. ;-)

Then again, in my opinion, there is no conclusive scientific evidence to the contrary. :)

Glad to hear that a good time was had by all and glad I got to speak with MM and Ashikaga. I will DEFINITELY be there next year and you can count on it. I was there in 2009 and missed the last two meets, but I won't miss the next one!

Great!! I glad we got some food shots too !! (I had been wondering if any had been taken, and kind of hoping that there would have been some evidence of the eats and drinks to boot)

Yep, I look forward to next year, and having you here Pachipro san, along with Thomas and his gang, and others who may not have, but who can (Tsuyoiko chan, you in that group, yet) come next time. I'll probably report a little more here later on, but have to catch up with some things down here related to work, first. I love the photos. 'Spirits'? Not quite so sure of that, but I guess it is open for discussion (which I guess I should have spent more time on then...but, ...a bit busy with this and that too, so some forgetting happened, and forgetting to discuss that more properly was kind of forgotten too)

Oh, there were plenty of spirits present. For some reason Miyuki and I were the only ones partaking of them. The rest of you were either uncouth beer swillers or tea-totalers.

Oh, there were plenty of spirits present.
I guess I have just lost the touch... I had written out what I would call a good opening post for this year's JREF Meet in Shiga 2012, hit the 'Reply to Thread' box (thinking that that would send the reply... got a box asking if I had wanted to leave that page... (and of course I had wanted to leave that page, I wanted the page to go to the full actually page....so to speak. Well, I guess you all know what happened. Oh well... I'll do it again, but not tonight. I kind of don't like loosing things like that.... Please keep you ears and eyes open here!

What MM is building up to, in his own charmingly awkward way, is that JREF Meet 2012 is on!

Be there or be square.

Yes !! It IS on !! That is correct; the 2012 JREF Meet in Shiga is on the calendar and the invitation is out... here as this thread! As always, all who are interested, love to have a great time, want to meet others of us, and, can make it, are most welcome to do just those things... make it here, have a great and interesting time with others of us who are members of JREF. Basically all you have to do is get here. Oh, 'here' is basically Matsumoto, Nagano, Japan. If any who can make plan on being here, send me a PM, and I will give you full instructions. (Also, of course, I can pick those who come by train to Matsumoto, up at the station. )

Mike Cash is my right-arm man, and always really helps out--for example, filling in with humor when I become to scatter-brained to make much sense any more, or draw straight lines (which, of course, is now fixed for) or stoking up the BBQ fire to smelting temperature for me... hee, hee, hee... but , seriously, I do always appreciate your getting those charcoals burning! Come on up with the whole family, Dave, if you can. Thomas, you guys are of course most welcome to make a second attempt this year !! These Nagano roads are just waiting for you and your friend(s)! (and bring the little lady as well) ASHIKAGA, I finished putting concrete over the other half of the garage, so this year I WILL have the ping-pong table out and lights set up... it's under that roof, so rain or shine, folks can ping-pong it out! Of course, the badminton net will be up, and Mike Cash will make sure I get the lines measured out correctly--as mathematically and scientifically accurate and correct knowledge, and application of such knowledge, can sometimes be sensory overridden by heightened emotional enthusiasm.

I hope to see if I can get Pachipro and undrentide up here this year. There are alos other which I hope to see here, but yet I kind of doubt that they'd be able to make it. Anyway, I'll see.

SO.... as the man said, 'Be there or be square!' (and there means the 2012 JREF Meet in Shiga which is here) Now, let's see if I can push the right button here...

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

OH... I forgot to mention it (since is it so 'matter of fact') but this is held in May, during Golden Week. I am thinking (but still have some room for adjustment) of having the shebang of the 4th (a Friday) this year. If an average of those who can come would prefer the 3rd, we can shift for that. I think the 5th would be a bit late. Please let me know by mentioning it here in this thread.

Wow, time really flies! Now it's time for the announcement already?!
Mars Man, I should love to join this year! 😍
Could you please send me some details? 🙂

That sounds like a super good deal, there, undrentide !! I have twice talked with you by phone during these meets in the past, and to be able to talk with you in person here, as we enjoy the BBQ, the warmth of the fire, not to mention the warmth of a wonder three or four games of badminton under a warm May sun set up just for us!! (Really, last year the weather before the meet was not so great, and afterwards it got colder and wetter, but just during those 3 or so days of the meet, it was like really great !! Every year so far has been set up just for us !! )

I look forward to your being here, and I know that all those who come will too!! FANTASTIC !!!

I really wish I could make it but as it is I can't even make our annual Japan trip this year. I'm looking for a better job and can't take the risk that I would get an interview during that time. Plane tickets also went up by a lot this year. Its going to be over $2100 just for my wife's seat and it's just economy class!!!

I really hope I can make it one of these years! :)

I understand, Petaris, and I do wish you the best of luck, on top of the application of your skill, in getting that better job! It really is an important undertaking. Air fare is that high now?! Wow... Anyway, we will be doing this for some time, of course, so I do hope you can make it one of these sunny, fun-filled Golden Week days for the annual JREF Meet in Shiga! Thanks for posting to let us know, and all. After you get that new job, and have all that extra green stuff pouring in, save up for the next time... hee, hee, hee....

See you !
MM

Thanks Mars Man! :)

There are still plans for a future move to Japan as well so there may well be plenty of future opportunities to join you.

I have already send you a PM that I can't make it this year, so instead of me Thomas and his lovely wife will join ;).

I really enjoyed last year, and I really recommend everyone to join if you have the time. Although Oli isn't that active on the forums at the moment he is a great guy and will make you feel relax the moment you arrive. Don't be shy, and do something else!

April is upon us. Cool winds yet linger, but weakening, they are ever so slowly losing to the beauty of warmth and sunshine. The season is here. The birds and bees are making hey while the sun grins down on their merrymaking. The JREF Meet in Shiga is at the top of the next page of the calendar, and all the fun, the relaxation, the mingling with great friends and wonderful folks of JREF, is at the top of the list for that event. (and you'll just have to put with me... hee, hee, hee....)

Yes, Petarus, you can mark next years event on your mental calendar. The chances of that not happening, are about equal to those of my winning 700 million on the Lottery. Go ahead and make your plans!

Thanks Dave! Yes, I read your PM, and... ara? Did I not respond? Oh boy, oh girl, I guess I may not have. Sorry 'bout that! I do look forward to being able to meet up with you again... either here, or there, but hopefully here, with your whole gang, some day!!

O.K. We have some wild and winding roads that need to be tamed, Thomas, and I am sure you are the man to do it!! I would be most please to have you and your lady here with us, and any other friends that may wish to come for the wonderful escape into the adventures in the heart of Japan--Shinano! Great !!

My son Sho is gonna have some of his friends up again too, but they'll be having their cooking going on over to the side... not much mixing at all, and we'll have ours under the roof area. There is no need to worry about rain, the roof and the blue sheets that Mike Cash will help watch to make sure I get my knots tied right, will cover enough for about 12 people comfortably.

The only wild animals beside myself that we have to worry about, are, well, is Tora. He's a mean-looking, fear-instilling tiger of a cat, and he just loves people... I mean, not to eat, but to be petted by.

Mike! I might get you to check up on ASHIKAGA if you don't mind, and can get around to it. I will be popping in from time to time, but don't have enough of it to touch base with every one. OH... and I'll be up in Nagano again tomorrow, and plan on stopping by the, yes... you got it... the CIGAR shop !! Yeah. Any orders anyone?! They have some beauties there... it does seem (second to Ms. Mars Man, though... right Mike, Dave? (hee, hee, hee....)

Well, gotta go sharpen my dart tips now... catch you all in a few days or so!

MM

It's been a whole year already!?

I would love to join the festivities again this year, and I am working hard to get the 4th-5th off. I will let you know as soon as I know for sure! 😄

Sounds absolutely FANTASTIC AHIKAGA san !! I know that you know that I would just love to have you here again this year, and I have gotten everything ready so as to make it a fact that the ping-pong table will be set up this time !! The table is not such a good one, but it'll do the trick for non-professional playing around. There'll be lighting and all too. Some of Sho's (my eldest son who you'll recall) friends might want to challenge you as well. I am all toes when it comes to ping-pong, and will only present too easy a win... surely boring for one of your caliber at that game. Darts?! Well, that's a bit of a different story... hee, hee, hee.... (and I'm pretty dang good on the badminton court as well... as long as I don't injure myself by hitting my forehead too hard with my own racket.

I do look forward to seeing you here, ASHIKAGA san !!!

This following post, located at the bottom of page three, in response to a question from Pachipro, will never cease to cause great, belly-rolling laughter. I just love it so much that I could print it out, glue it to a nice piece of wood, varnish over it all in a real fancy way, and attach it to the wall near the dart board. Twas a night and a half, that night... it was the inspiration for the already lined out board that was in place from last year. Great memories !!

Well, there WAS this one Japanese guy who had somehow managed to stay sober through the day, and he ended up beating Mars Man and Mike Cash in a two-on-one match... He is known in the darts world as "El Diablo" but people here may know him better as ASHIKAGA!!!!

OK, to be fair, MM was pretty far gone by the time that match took place. It was nothing short of a miracle that he managed to throw the darts at all without injuring any of us.

It looks like I will be able to get those days off from work thanks to my co-workers who are willing to cover for me as long as I won't piss them off in the next couple of weeks leading up to the holiday week. Looking forward to seeing the now familiar faces again as well as meeting some new ones!

I cannot thank Mars Man enough for hosting this great event!

That sounds absolutely great, ASHIKAGA !! I am very glad to hear that, and do very much look forward to meeting you again, sitting around chatting with you, beating you at darts (hee, hee, hee....) but losing terribly at ping-pong and coming in about equal on the badminton courts. (But, if you are skillful with your encouragements of having me drink more, you may even blow me away on the dart board... hee, hee, hee)

Yes, folks, can you all believe it?! Only one week to go, and I tell you, all of those who read this but have never been to a JREF Meet in Shiga, that you are missing history being made big time! Up here on the roof of Japan, way out here in the peaceful, relaxing country side, we have paradise at our service and command... giving our every sense it most greatest and vibrant experience. Enough good eats, drinks, fresh air, plush greenery, games and fun and all, but especially the communion that we all share in this most precious moment of livelihood and being.

I will miss Pachipro, but I didn't get a reply from him, so I am pretty sure he'll not be making it... too bad, I had also really hoped he'd be with us too. I know that the gracious and pure Japanese charm that undrentide will be bestowing upon us all will be far better and artistic than any geisha down in Kyoto could ever even dream of being skillful enough at social manners to provide. Mike will be there to make sure I don't forget how to put up the blue sheets, or where I put my last beer, and to keep us all laughing.

I do hope that Thomas will be able to make it. I think it would be great, sitting around the camp fire (as it were), listening to the fabled story of the beginnings of JREF--although he may be more into singing songs over good brew with us?

Anyway, one week to go. I am asking the weather people to hold that day for us so that we can have sunshine and warmth. Of course, this is Shinshu... it's pretty chilly at night even in May, so some may want to bring some warm clothing as well. I look forward to it. I am going to be a bit busy the next few days, but will report back on here around Tuesday or Wednesday to let you all know of the final weather forcast. (Of course, rain does not stop our BBQ at all !!)

Oli, thanks for the gracious invitation, I'll do my very best. Forgive me the curt reply (I'm on the train).

I have to work on the fifth and sixth, but I try to find a substitute for Saturday at least. So if I make it, it'll probably be sans velo, as I fell down the stairs and twisted my ankle (hence the train).

I'll contact you soon! :)

And here we are, kicking off ASHIKAGA san's month (I'll take care of those congradulations here, on that day, with a good toast!) and the JREF Meet in Shiga 2012 just 3 days down the road. If any later stragglers are interested in making it up, now's the time to let me know here, in this thread.

As it turns out, it looks like we'll generally have the weather person working for us, with clouds in the morning on Friday (the 4th), and the sun coming out in the afternoon...or, maybe, just cloudy but with little chance for rain. If things go super well, we'll have bright sunshine with little wind, from around 2 pm... just in time to hit the badminton court. (Of course, I will have the ping-pong table set up too.)

So, as it is at the moment, we all will be blessed with the enjoyment that we all share with each other, amongst the 9 of us. (ASHIKAGA , Mike Cash, Thomas (& lady), undrentide (& father and friend), myself and lady Mars Man) Then, in the later afternoon, we'll have three other friends of the family join us; making the grand total to be 12.

My son's friends will not be here on Friday, for their BBQ has turned out to be the next day.

I'll be back to check here, and report on final weather conditions, by Wednesday night. Of course, one can always call 0263-177 and get the local telephone weather, as well. We are gonna have a blast !

Back
Top Bottom