What's new

JREF meet in Shiga--May 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars Man

先輩
Rest in Peace
28 Jul 2005
On Thursday, May 3rd, one day before the big JREF meet in Shiga , I got a mail from Mike Cash on my cellphone--he would be at the Akashina station at 4:10. On that same day, my neighborhood would be holding the annual 'ohanami' (cherry blossom viewing party) and I wanted to at least show my face there, so I went.
It was a slightly hazy day, with a fairly strong wind blowing. After sitting with the folks there for a while, and doing my best to keep them from pouring beer down my throat, I hopped in the car and drove on over to Akashina to pick up Mike Cash. The anticipation was strong. Then, coming through the ticket gate was a tall, southern gentleman in cowboy hat and sunglasses...it had to be the man! We made our way back to the picnic scene, talking about the trip up and the crowded trains.
The guys from the neighborhood were happy to meet Mike, and they soon started pouring out the shochu--the beer already finished. It was so typical as they at first started asking questions about Mike, through me--as it were--even he was himself speaking in Japanese. After a short while, it dawned on them that he was speaking Japanese, and then they asked him directly. I got the boys, and Mchan, and we went on back to the house before nightfall.
For dinner--and we weren't that hungry--we had white curry and sat around talking about a number of things, though I also spent some time making some last minute preparations for the next day. It was nice having the time to chat on the different levels--as having grown up in the southern USA, as ex-pats in Japan, as fathers, and of course as JREFers.
Mike Cash automatically became our official photographer, with his very nice cameras, and I'm sure he'll be posting some of the photos of the exciting moments of the next day, and the natural surroundings of my house place, and neighborhood.
With this, I'll post, and then go into the first part of the next day, splitting it up into seveal posts, as others who were there hopefully join in with their memorable moments and comments.

Friday, May 4th came on the scene is burst of bright sunlight ! No one could ask for better weather--execpt maybe those on the up-wind side of the badminton net--and after making sure Mike and myself had gotten something to eat, went on out to do some things like set up the net, clean up the dozo (Could you please put some photos of that too, Mike?) and do some last minute shopping.

While I was running around getting things done, Mike took an easy stroll up the hill to check out our beautiful, easy-going nature around here. Around noon, Mikawa Ossan and J44xm came driving in. This was Mikawa's second time to come here, so he know just where it was. I greeted them and went on about my slowly getting behind schedule.

For Hiroyuki Nagashima, had a little bit of a harder time. While I was doing something there by the BBQ pit, I heard a bike going kind of slowly down the hill, and ran out to see. I waved my hands, but it was too late. . . the bike went on down the hill. I went back to my work, and then not too much later, heard a bike coming slowly up the hill. I ran out, and at first glance Hiroyuki knew it was me, smiled, and pulled on into the driveway that leads into our house place. You see, from the road, it's really hard to think that there's a house there. Basically all you usually notice is that old thatched roofed gate house, the trees, and the dozo in the back of the rock wall that runs the length of the house place.

Everyone was here, and we were ready to go. I asked Mikawa Ossan to start up the fire, and he got it going...my guests were ready to eat, but the food was not ready yet--as so often happens here.

And with that, I'll make those of you who were not here, but are here now, wait a little longer for some of those good pictures (especially the group photo) and details from those who were here. OF COURSE, I'll keep filling in with the report too, as I have more time tonight and tomorrow !! PLEASE ENJOY THE READ !! MM

Unfortunately, the processing of black-and-white film is something that neighborhood photo processors are no longer equipped to do and all b/w film has to be sent off to Timbuktu or some such place to be developed. The photos I took with the antique 1956 Ricoh rangefinder were all b/w and I won't have the negatives back until the 16th.

Got LOTS of good photos of the participants with my Pentax digital SLR, but they are primarily people photos, so I will need people to confirm whether they mind having their faces posted or not. I know Hiroyuki doesn't want his face shown, others please remind me of your wishes.

Anybody who didn't go missed being hosted by absolutely the nicest and most gracious folks you could ever hope to meet and further missed visiting what I would have to say is the single most unique and interesting piece of private property I have ever set foot on in Japan.

I can guess why Hiroyuki missed the entrance. Who would ever expect to enter through a 180 year old designated cultural treasure? (Seriously, folks, MM's driveway goes through an actual 180 year old building which has been designated an official cultural treasure. You have to see it to believe it).

Many thanks for sharing guys - it's lovely to hear how things went, and this looks like such a nice follow-up to the event itself.

Hope you keep those stories and (cleared!) pictures coming!

:)

I'm really sorry that I missed it, but if you do a summer party later in the year I will organize some drinks and goodies to bring up :)

Looking forward to the photos! Bet the BW ones come out good, always loved that style.

Thank you made of stone san and Ewok85 san, we'll keep the story going up to the end, and I'm sure Mike Cash san will post the photos that he can.

My face is ok, Mike, and the two boys are ok too. As far as the little lady, well I didn't even bother asking her permission--and I know you know why ! hee, hee, hee.....with the number of frames taken just to get a single no-hand-blocking-the-face photo.

So finally the fajitas a la Arizona were ready. Yeah, I blew it on the time. You're supposed to keep them sizzling until the natural juices from the fresh onions and tomatoes and paprika peppers is pretty much simmered out, but I was already behind. We brought out the tortillias and we all got some finger-licking good burritos.

Well, I guess the flavor was about right, but there was no mistake on the finger-licking part; the juice just came dripping out because the stuff was too wet !! I put out some hot sauce and made up a batch of guacamole for the chips and to put on the burritos.

Having gotten our fill of that (and running out of paper towels, almost) I spurred the happy-to-just-be-sitting-around-enjoying-the-fellowship JREFers and my boys and Mchan to all join me for some crazy badminton.

We had a strong wind from the south, and I had put the net up so that the court ran north and south. (basically, I mean...as Mike Cash can tell, I just kind of point in general directions) We changed teams a couple of times, had a few discussions over the rules which I made up as we went along--well, kind of--and it was just like our childhood days all over again !! (I've never met a person who was not a child...of someone...hee, hee, hee....)

It was a great game, and I was the only one who got injured. Let me tell you about that:
It was bearing down on game point, we were in the South court, had the wind in our favor, and we were losing. It was our serve and my intention to make that serve count. Wop! The birdie came zinging over our heads and straight into the middle of their court. There was some clamoring by those on that side to get a racket under it which they succesfully did. It was a smash hit.

As I carefully posed, one eye continiously on that white-feathered object, I calculated the volocity and forward air pressure. I adjusted for wind resistence and weight, a bead of sweat forming on my forehead. I knew that this was it. My calling was at hand.

The birdie came straight over the net parallel to the ground at about half the speed of sound. It was aimed right at me, so I quickly positioned my racket for perfect return. SUDDENLY, the carefully placed spin that sender had put into the hit, decelerated and the birdie suddenly shifted its angle of approach.

I swung like a madman, as the birdie seemed to be in three places at the same time--a little ninja trick had been used as well, I could see. At that time, I suddenly recalled that my beer was empty...and that's when it hit me. WHOP !! Right across the head. It was...my racket.
hee, hee, hee...

The next part next. Oh...and Mike Cash san, I think it'd be ok to do that group photo in front of the gate house that we posed for just to be able to put it here. If I'm not wrong, I think we had all agreed on that much. (but feel free to wait if you're not sure.)

OH... and PS...I AM thinking about another one for this year, either in the Summer or Autumn, depending on when some who didn't make it this time, can come.

Here are a few of you and #2 son (I don't give out names without permission) that I have had a chance to work on so far. There are more good ones, but I only have limited time on weekdays to work on them. These are all smaller versions selected to be forum-friendly. The actual pics are larger and should render some frameable A4 sized prints.

492497843_a3f811e6a7-1.jpg
492498683_854c44d5b2-1.jpg
492481456_ffdd01549c-1.jpg
492480554_2f97fd2efb-1.jpg
492526359_3dd2222c9b-1.jpg

He's one of the most photogenic young men I think I have ever seen. He is as unshy of the camera as his mother is overly shy. In that first one, I caught him as he sat near the soccer goal after tossing the frisbee around. Didn't even have to ask him to pose.

That's a good looking boy you have there MM.

I look forward seeing the group photo (is that correct MM).

Wow !! And like I said: Mike Cash was our offical photographer. Nice ones there !! That second one of me was when I smashed one across the net so hard and fast that it almost registered on the Richter Scale when burned a spot in the soft grass. It was so fast and quick a serve (and point) that I don't think anyone even saw it...much less remember it. !! hee, hee, hee....

yes..that is correct, Dutch Baka san, but it's when we are all looking in the opposite direction...except me.

Wow !! And like I said: Mike Cash was our offical photographer. Nice ones there !!

Now aren't you glad I decided to drink beer and take pictures instead of picking up a racket? Got some equally good ones of Mikawa Ossan and J44xm, if they consent to having them made public. At any rate, you'll get to see them when I get the photo CD ready to go. Still want to give a little post-processing TLC to several of the more worthy ones.

The official group shot, taken in MM's front yard (with the aforementioned cultural treasure), photography courtesy of Mrs. MM:
492522802_55edbebb3d-1.jpg

Looks like you guys had a helluva time. Sorry I missed it. Maybe next year.

Looks like you've been upgraded to god status, Mr. Cash, with a bright red logo. Congratulations.

Looks like you've been upgraded to god status, Mr. Cash, with a bright red logo. Congratulations.

Yeah, I noticed that.

Now if I can just get my wife to recognize my god status all will be jake.

Ah.... thx for the read MM. It looks like you guys a lot of fun.. and the pix are really nice, I'd love to see more of them, especially one of Mike

I didn't take any pictures of myself, oddly enough. You'll have to wait for one of the other fellows to post some that they took.

Can someone label these so we know who's who?

I think that would have to be personal, so I hope all there will join in and do so or bow out--but I'm fairly obvious, I think. The bandana protected the glare that would have otherwise come from the polished-like smoothness of my head. . . so you know I'm the one on the far left as you look at it.

I'll post more story as I go. Jimmy Seal, if things go well, I'd like to have one more this year too, so you may have that chance yet !! I'll be back later with more, and I'm sure Mike Cash will be too.

@mike LOL !!! On that god comment !! I know !! I know !!

It was time for a change. . . our game of bad badminton had exhausted itself. So, while I went to set up the goal lines for touch football (a la Americano) some of us got a refill of beer, and some of us went to work--well, that some of us was Nagashima san.

I had found my best and sharpest saw for him and a kind of Japanese style hachet--which he took to the sharpening stone and soon had put a razor edge on. So he went into the bamboo thicket that is overcrowding the rise between our house and the moat (yes, they had tried to dig out a moat once back in the old days, but ran out of money it seems) and pulled out a nice long stalk. He then took to cutting the cups from which we would later drink a mild, full bodied rice wine later on that evening.

Meanwhile down on the turf, me and the boys, along with Mikawa san and J44xm san, were pulling off some plays that even NFL coaches would like to know about. J44xm was our all time, professional quarter back, and pulled off a couple of good sneaks. . . but did show some signs of concern when I was on the line snarling like a pit bull dog--but to no avail, because my rush ran me straight into a brick wall of a determined Mikawa san...the play succeeded in scoring 6 more points. About that time, my youngest son wanted to go play soccer--his favorite game--so off we strolled down to the soccer field.

As Mike Cash was there too, I bribed him to be our goal keeper. . . which he accepted as long as he had his beer there too. Now these two sons of mine can do all kinds of 'now you see it, now you don't' tricks with the soccer ball, while all I can do is try to keep my knee joints fit together. I was surprized, actually, at how well Mikawa san handled the ball--when I was in highschool and such, soccer was a word that we would see in our Spanish language books only.

Now folks, by the time we finished playing that, we were pretty darn tired. We then made our ways back up to the BBQ pit area, where our sake drinking cups were waiting for us, and I proceeded to start up the fire again. Food is on the way !

Rainbow trout, steak, and yakitori sitting on the grill, corn on the cob filling the extra spaces. Potato, Pumpkin, eggplant, green pepper, shishito, cabbage, and onion all frying on the griddle. The beer was cooled way down, the sake lingering with the freshness of spring bamboo, and the breeze blowing all the smoke away from where I was sitting. (as you know, smoke goes to beauty. . . and that ain't me)

Now all the while I had the music going, of course, but just before we got going with the eating (if my memory serves me well) I pulled out the guitar and played one song. Then Mike Cash played around a little on the six-string too! He may have been a little out of practice, but he could play. I encouraged him to keep it up ! (I'm out of practice too, however) Keep that six-string in your truck now, Mike !!

By the time 9:00 or so had rolled 'round, it was time to move on over into the dozo. We took our supplies with us, and made our way upstairs. In the dozo is where the dart board hangs. Now on that day, for some reason, we had been doing a lot of 'junken' (paper, rock, scissors) and we did it again to chose teams. I cranked up the CD player, and we went to town.

We played what I call 'chase' (there are other names too, I think) and you don't need to worry about counting so much. I can't recall all the details so well, but I do recall Mike Cash scoring a couple of bulls in a row or something like that. The two little boys crashed out before we finished, and we kept on throwing until about 1 in the morning. The last game started out with a big 'N' at the top of our side of the scoreboard (Nagashima was the captain) and a big 'C' on the other side (for Mike Cash). We won that game, and at a certain point in the game, when turning to check for what I should throw at, those had changed to 'No good at all' and 'cool anyway'--the board is still as it was, at this very moment.

We all drug ourselves to the house, except for Nagshima san--he had pitched a tent, and with the super power flashlight I had given him to chase off the bears, foxes, and moles with, he crawled into that. It had been a long day, and there was more to come the next day, so we all got some good shut eye !!

After quite a bit of net searching and experimentation I have finally found a means of getting a good quality b&w scan. For reasons I won't get into (mainly because I don't understand them myself), it is not the straightforward easy task one might expect it to be. Tip and plug: buy "VueScan"; it's worth the money.

Here is a sepia-toned shot of MM's One Man Hideaway, formerly a storehouse of ancient vintage. Currently well on its way to being absolutely the coolest private clubhouse ever. You can't tell it from the photo, perhaps, but it is larger than most private homes in Japan.

498350381_e7d33bffa2-1.jpg

It looks and sounds really cool! Now, how often are these JREF meetings?? Wouldn't mind joining in...

Mauricio

Thanks for all that hard work there Mike !! That looks really nice !!

Well, maushan3 san, I may have one more this year again, and after that, I don't really know, but at least once a year, I guess. Perhaps twice a year would be best, though, so that more folks will have a chance to come up. Some would probably never be able to make it up during the first week of May.

I'll continue, and finish the story, by Friday. Thanks for tuning in folks. And when would be a good time for any of you folks to join--this Summer, or this up-coming Fall?

Cool and very interesting!! I thank you all Jref Staff but please can somebody tell who the friends of these people are??

i allready saw Mars Man and Hiroyuki Nagashima and who are the other friends???

*hint, hint* =)

Wow!! Looks like a lot of fun guys!! I wish I could have been there.. I have more spare time next year, so I will try to be there then!! :)

And indeed, your son is very otokomae Mars Man!!

Cool and very interesting!!

i allready saw Mars Man and Hiroyuki Nagashima and who are the other friends???
*hint, hint* =)

I'll see if I can call some of the others and ask if they'd like to identify themselves. . .but it is personal. How 'bout it guys? (I'm pretty sure most have at least looked at this thread, and we can accept that the decision has been made, so. . . ) MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom