What's new

JREF Earthquake/Tsunami Donations

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Dear Valued Members,

on the occasion of a very generous donation and in the light of the tragic events of last Friday we would like to announce that all donations we receive on behalf of JREF will henceforward be used towards relief missions in Japan.

Please check this thread for more information shortly.

JREF Earthquake/Tsunami Donations

Just a little update: we have decided to send all the donations we shall receive in the course of March to the Japanese Red Cross in order to contribute to their relief efforts. We have raised US$ 250.00 so far.

Which if it is converted into Yen, would be just over 20,000 Yen. Would that be roughly correct Thomas. And as I dont know normal prices in Japan, is that a small, medium or large amount of money Thomas?

That's correct. However, I believe that every yen and every little effort counts at the moment. We currently stand at USD 253,00 and will convey any sum accumulated until the end of March to the Japanese Red Cross.

Thanks again for your generosity!

Then can I say that I hope you can raise as much as is possible. I would also like to ask all members to donate if they can, lets try and raise around $500, and give the members of JREF something to be proud of, helping others. :)

Oli, thanks a lot for yet another very generous earthquake/tsunami donation! We are up to USD 353,00.

While there are, and will be, various fund raising activities across Japan, and the world, I still feel that none is any lesser an effort than any other. As we, those of us of JREF, extend our helping hands, and feeling heart, to those who will receive our humanitarian connection with gratitude, emotion, and even a certain sense of humility (notwithstanding the actual circumstances in the midst of almost total destruction and loss of life--both human and non-human), a reconfirmation is being made.

While there are those of much higher profile contributing literally millions of dollars to help out, I yet feel that there is even greater, down-to-earth, home-style neighborly-like love which even speaks greater words to humankind. These are the words of 'I feel your pain with you, and share a moment of your life-space hardship too.'

Therefore, I too, chime in with the words that what one can do, and might honestly be able to do, is best done; and such has far greater value than any value of mere quantity count.'

(ps. in previewing this post, I noticed an entry by Thomas. Yes, I am very happy to help out with what I can, when I can...and at this particular moment, and squeezing my belt just a little bit, I can help out. Thanks for your help in getting another help line started, Thomas!)

Now I wish I had checked out Jref earlier!

If you do not reside in Japan, it is next to impossible to donate to Japan's Red Cross directly in a timely manner. I tried, and the system is just not set up for that. If you donate to your country of residence's Red Cross, you should be able to apportion your contribution to the relief effort in Japan. I know for certain that you can in the USA.

If you want your donation to go to Japan's Red Cross specifically, doing so through Jref is probably your only option. I applaud Thomas for his efforts!

Dave, Timothy, thanks for your donations! We currently stand at USD 473,00.

Oli, Mikawa, thanks for your kind words. It was Andy's donation that started the ball rolling. The credit is all his.

Great work guys, and a tremendous gesture on the part on Jref.

I'm trying to work out the best way, and place, to donate. The UK Red Cross site has a Japan appeal:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/Donate-Now/Make-a-single-donation/Japan-Tsunami-Appeal

Is there going to be a delay donating until the end of March through Jref? Once I've decided how to make it, I'd like my contribution to get to where it's needed as soon as possible.

An unrelated thought, but are the Jref servers in Tokyo? A few other sites I'm a member of have been going down due to traffic or power issues. Is there an alternative site that's been identified in case Jref goes down and members are concerned about each other? Just a thought.

We will give where we can, but I wonder if there are families who would like to get themselves or at least their children to a safer place until things are more stable. We would be happy to help a family temp relocate near us, (Kansas USA), or even take an 'exchange student' on in our home. We are medical professionals and have a 13 y.o. daughter.

An unrelated thought, but are the Jref servers in Tokyo? A few other sites I'm a member of have been going down due to traffic or power issues. Is there an alternative site that's been identified in case Jref goes down and members are concerned about each other? Just a thought.

We'll transfer JREF's donation by the end of March as planned. Our servers are hosted in the U.S., but all major ISPs and data centers do have backup power supply. I haven't heard of any website going down due to power issues. Besides, contrary to public announcements we haven't experienced any outage in my area so far.

Thanks a lot for the info Thomas.

I know of one popular site that goes down quite often due to traffic issues. It's good to know Jref has perhaps better back-up.

We would be happy to help a family temp relocate near us, (Kansas USA), or even take an 'exchange student' on in our home. We are medical professionals and have a 13 y.o. daughter.

That's very generous of you, Peter! I will try to post links to organisations that arrange such relocations.

It's good to know Jref has perhaps better back-up.

Keeping our fingers crossed!

Caroline, thanks for your contribution! We are now at USD 498,00.

Last edited:
Done, but please don't change my status to "Donator"....I can't stand that word. "Donor", yes. "Donator", no. As I said quite some time ago, that was the only thing keeping me from donating. But I'll set that aside for the moment in light of the current situation.

Mike, it is much appreciated! Oh, and I have just renamed the user group to "Donor". You shall be the first member to display the Donor label.

Gregory, thanks to you, too!

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm glad to say we stand at USD 545,00.

Last edited:
Wish I could do more at this point. I hope every little bit helps out to make those affected more comfortable.

I hope every little bit helps out to make those affected more comfortable.

Absolutely right, Mark!

James, thanks for your contribution. We stand at USD 665,00.

Sent via iPhone using Tapatalk

hey guys, my anime club is looking to send messages of hope. we were wondering if anyone knew some schools that we could send them to.

Yukiko and Joe, thanks for your generous donation! We stand at USD 915,00!

I have noticed that there are many websites cropping up by those outside of Japan wishing to host Japanese families or individuals who would like to leave during this crisis. Is there an organization inside of Japan who is supporting these efforts? And is this a real need at this point in the minds of Japanese citizens?
This is the only organization I could find inside of Japan who is organizing this:
japan-community.com/en/
I don't know anything about them.

And here are a couple of American websites I've seen of those offering to be hosts:
japaneserefugees.com/
facebook.com/hostjapanesepeople

Back
Top Bottom