What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

JET teachers: do not teach in Nagasaki!

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
JET teachers: do not teach in Nagasaki!

"NAGASAKI--A young woman living in the American Midwest remains livid over what was supposed to be a dream adventure in Japan.

“My motivation was to challenge myself to live in a country where I didn’t speak the language and work in a new profession,” she said.

"She applied for the prestigious Japan Exchange and Teaching Program (JET) that invites young college graduates from around the world to teach English at schools in Japan through a collaboration with ministries and local governments.

"Her application was accepted, and she landed an assistant language teacher (ALT) job in Nagasaki Prefecture. After graduating from university, she arrived in Japan in July 2016.

"But she said her otherwise invaluable two-year experience in the southern prefecture was marred by sexual harassment and indifference toward her plight by the prefectural education board.

"A little more than two years have passed since she completed the program and left Japan in July 2018.

“I’m still angry,” she said.

"Inspired by the recent worldwide “MeToo” movement, the woman, now 26, has filed a lawsuit against the prefectural government, demanding damages for emotional distress."

(cont.)

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
Reminds me of a lot of the military guys I served with in Japan. They were always angry it was not like the US where they came from and many never left the base because the Japanese people couldn't all speak English.

mdchachi

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing how this goes. I'll check back in about 10 years.

I always marveled at the foreign women that somehow did well in Japan given how sexist the society is. Although honestly I didn't know all that many.

Saseboanon

Registered
Reaction score
I was a Jet in Sasebo where the event went down. I was good friends with the girl who had this happen, and while no one can say for certain what happened that night, I can’t blame the city for not prosecuting him. He made sexual advances, she did not appreciate it and left. She got very upset because she had an injured leg and said that between her leg and the fact he knew she had a boyfriend, he should be able to be fired/prosecuted. Based on her own story, it’s just not enough evidence.

mdchachi

Reaction score
I was a Jet in Sasebo where the event went down. I was good friends with the girl who had this happen, and while no one can say for certain what happened that night, I can’t blame the city for not prosecuting him. He made sexual advances, she did not appreciate it and left. She got very upset because she had an injured leg and said that between her leg and the fact he knew she had a boyfriend, he should be able to be fired/prosecuted. Based on her own story, it’s just not enough evidence.
I wonder where she found a lawyer to take this case. Sounds like an uphill battle to say the least.

Top Bottom