What's new

Japanese Skin Care

MadamePapillon

Fear my Niftyness
1 Jul 2007
Seeing as how the Japanese are pretty renowned for their skin care I was curious if anyone here had any good Japanese skin care insight, be it acne prevention, home brew methods or good brands.
Since there's a lot more guys on here than girls and I'm not sure what skin care measures you all take perhaps you can give some insight as to the skin care regimen your wives or girlfriends use.
The main reason for this is that I'm a huge skin care freak and I love experimenting with new products and concocting homemade face masks and I've been expanding my skin (and hair) care horizons, using Jojoba Oil, Moroccan Oil, Avocado, pure Shea and trying various all natural methods and products (all of which have worked wonders if anyone is curious).
So if anyone has any good Japanese (or non-Japanese) skin care tips and tricks to offer I'd love to add it to my ever growing list.

If you already know many ways to keep your skin youthful and beautiful, this might not be of great interest.

I'm all for not spending a lot on cosmetics and other products, organic or otherwise. Basically, I like it "au naturel," just keeping your skin clean, washing with foam (no scrubs that cause microscopic damage/tear on your skin), and not wearing much makeup. It works great for me--but it maybe only me and a few others... 😌

My policy on skincare attracted me to the reigning Japanese skincare guru Chizu Saeki, who had published a book in the US (maybe including Canada):

The Japanese Skincare Revolution by Chizu Saeki - Makeup and Beauty blog | TalkingMakeup.com « Makeup and Beauty blog | TalkingMakeup.com
Amazon product ASIN 4770030835
I must admit that I haven't read the book but have seen her speak on TV a number of times. I'm all for what she says. My daughter, who has delicate skin (prone to freckles and dryness) likes her lotion mask:
http://www.vivawoman.net/2009/08/15/diy-lotion-mask-demo-by-chizu-saeki/

JFYI, in addition to skincare she proposes, she says, quite naturally, that a healthy, balanced diet (she packs her own homemade lunches rather than eat out) and lifestyle keep her going on through her rigorous schedule.

I've heard of Chizu Saeki even all the way here in Canada. She's pretty famous but I have to admit I never really looked in depth into her techniques. Thanks for the link, the lotion mask looks really interesting. I'll definitely give it a try if I can find cotton strips.
Basically, I like it "au naturel," just keeping your skin clean, washing with foam (no scrubs that cause microscopic damage/tear on your skin), and not wearing much makeup. It works great for me--but it maybe only me and a few others...
Agree 100%. My policy is that I don't want to need makeup, if that makes any sense (it makes sense in my head at least 😌), basically that if I don't look fresh and healthy without makeup on then I'm doing something wrong.
Something you might be interested in given that you don't like scrubs is a matcha face mask I use.
A tsp. Matcha Powder and some honey mixed with a bit of water into a paste works as a mask and it exfoliates like a scrub but without the chemicals and damage. It's really gentle and really cheap. Plus it makes you you look like the hulk, which is pretty funny.
I know somebody out there is probably facepalming and saying 'you're supposed to drink it, stupid' but I hate the taste of straight matcha.
Thanks again for the links.

Thanks for the tip on match facial mask! I'll try it when I ever feel the need for one... Haven't had one in years... 😌

I know somebody out there is probably facepalming and saying 'you're supposed to drink it, stupid' but I hate the taste of straight matcha.
Here's one having qualms about putting something you can eat on your face... But, oh well, a lot of "safe" cosmetic ingredients can be eaten...

You don't have to take matcha straight, actually. I rarely do.
If you ever have matcha in quantity too large for you to handle with use as facial mask, try mixing it with milk, cream, cream cheese or soybean milk and add honey or sugar to sweeten it. You may have trouble dissolving them, so dissolve it with a bit of hot water first. Quite delicious!
Best is matcha ice cream if you know how to make ice cream yourself. 👍
The general rule for quantity of matcha is to determine it by the color of the milk or cream: Light green.
If the color is darker, it may be too bitter.

Last edited:
Colour me intrigued. :D
That sounds delicious, and I think you're probably right about the colour vs bitterness, whenever I make it it's quite dark which is my own fault.
I'm a big fan of matcha lattes and iced matcha so I don't discount the matcha completely but when I'm at home I usually just drink regular tea, I find it more convenient and tastier, even if it doesn't pack quite the health punch.
Here's one having qualms about putting something you can eat on your face... But, oh well, a lot of "safe" cosmetic ingredients can be eaten...
For me it's a health issue. If need to get my stomach pumped after eating it then I always get a bit iffy putting it on my skin.

How much I am tired of all these questions that J-girls ask: what do you do with your skin?... what cream do you use?... what food do you eat that your skin is like that?...etc.
Now I just say that I was born with this skin color and quality.

I like this post!

Well, as for me, I'm a beauty addict.
I 'm fond of bio products and never miss to enter The body shop or Lush.

I don't really have precise names to give, because I often change my products.
I like trying new series.

At the moment, for make up, I use an American brand: Benefit.

For the cleaning (morning and evening), it's Clinique (French) and Lush cream (English).

I will change this winter, pretty sure of that!

😊😊😊

I like this post!
Well, as for me, I'm a beauty addict.
I 'm fond of bio products and never miss to enter The body shop or Lush.
I don't really have precise names to give, because I often change my products.
I like trying new series.
At the moment, for make up, I use an American brand: Benefit.
For the cleaning (morning and evening), it's Clinique (French) and Lush cream (English).
I will change this winter, pretty sure of that!
😊😊😊

My morning and night routine is Burt's Bees, I have their face cleanser and day and night cream. So good. It's pretty much all natural so if you like bio products you'll probably like them (if you aren't allergic to royal jelly).
I'm also using a Clinique serum daily. I was going to try the Shiseido serum because their brand is supposed to be pretty good but Clinique got better reviews so I ended up going with them instead.

If you use proactiv I've got some money saving goodness for you.

The main active ingredient in Proactiv is benzoyl peroxide, if you're able to pick that up in Japan (I was able to pick it up over the counter in Canada for about $11) you can save yourself a lot of money by going straight for the active ingredient and bypassing all the filler stuff and brand expenses. One tube has lasted me months and cleared up my face really well. 👍

@epigene
Not much Japanese skin care talk. But at least I feel better about choosing Clinique. :p

This post may be off-topic but I found an interesting article about Proactive - the ingredient of Proactive sold in the North America and that of those sold in Japan are different.
http://www.taisaku-net.com/acne2.html

In Japan, benzoyl proxide is not approved as acne drug - according to another source in Japan the main use of this chemical is to bleach wheat flour - and most probably because Japanese people tend to be sensitive/allergic against benzoyl proxide and get their skin dry or inflamed, benzoyl proxide is not used in Proactive sold in Japan which contains salicylic acid and glycollic acid instead.

It's very interesting that even products sold under the same brand can be very different depending on the country where they are sold. :)

That is really interesting, I think that Japan really promotes products that are easier on the skin which is probably why benzoyl proxide isn't used. Every country is different in what they'll allow in their products.

Benzoyl proxide can be pretty harsh for people with sensitive skin, generally you're advised to build up a tolerance for it because leaping right into a full regiment it if your skin hasn't had to to adjust can cause irritation and extreme dryness. I only use it once a day or every second day for that reason but it's so effective I can't complain, I've used several products and benzoyl proxide is the only that kept my skin clear.
Strangely, glycollic acid and salicylic acid do just about the same thing and come with the typical warning of benzoyl proxide so I'm not sure why BP is not used and the others are.

Fighting acne, Dave? 😊
My vote is for Clinique any day. Have used their products (serum and skin care products, plus makeup foundation) since my 20s.
(Ooops! This is a Japanese skincare thread! 😌 )
No, but it is ツ"窶昶?楪湘」ニ段ニ停?愴弛ツーニ陳照停?慊!ツ!ツ!ツ!ツ". Yay. And that is supossed to make me want to buy it I guess?:rolleyes::banghead:

New series of Lush are coming for Christmas!
So happy!!!!
I've seen a mask made of chocolate!!!!! Want it!!!

cupcake-1.jpg

New series of Lush are coming for Christmas!
So happy!!!!
I've seen a mask made of chocolate!!!!! Want it!!!
cupcake-1.jpg

Do you have the Mask of Magnaminty?

If you don't, I would swear by it, it's awesome. And leaves you feeling minty fresh. 👍

lol @ chocolate mask

nothing beats sunshine and a glass of milk.

sometimes less is more....i've seen women put on make up and come out looking like angry kabuki puppetmasters

I have sensitive skin and have tried a lot of skin products including home concoctions. I really like making my own but I've found that using certain baby products works well for me. I also like Burt's Bees and use the Baby Bee lotion for moisturizing. I keep it simple and inexpensive but haven't found any product yet that's more high-end that works.

I have bought day creams from Onsen's I have visited in Japan (containing some water from the onsens, i.e. hot springs, with minerals and such?), and they truly work like magic - at least for me. So fresh and light, simply love them.

Another product i'm addicted to are face masks, for example like this one:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-hQVpwXnxgQ/SFX4wJOFlwI/AAAAAAAAAT4/jX9SqvoIwio/s400/DSC00160.JPG
I know at least Kose & Puresa make them... perfect when you need to relax, or freshen up, or look amazing in 15 mins ;)

One things i'm puzzled about though... how about animal testing on Japanese cosmetics? Is there any database of companies NOT testing etc? I'd really upreciate info on this.

Last edited:
I'm also searching good cosmetiques in france....

I love this post.:)
When I chose cosmetics, I often visit this website.
www .cosme. net
(Sorry, I'm a japanese woman and joining you)
In this website, user vote any cosmetic products and make ranking.
according to this website, No.1 face mask in Japan is...

プレサ シートマスクRO(ローズエキス)

No.2
Lush power musk(パワーマスク)

No.3
AYURA ビサッカプレート

Is there an English translation of that site? I can't read Japanese. :(

From the looks of it the Power Mask is the Mask of Magnaminty, they probably changed the name because it wouldn't make any sense in translation. That's a pretty cool site. I've never heard of the AYURA brand.

Is there an English translation of that site? I can't read Japanese. :(

From the looks of it the Power Mask is the Mask of Magnaminty, they probably changed the name because it wouldn't make any sense in translation. That's a pretty cool site. I've never heard of the AYURA brand.
The first one and the 3rd are Japanese brands (Utena and Ayura Laboratories) that are probably not sold overseas.

You're probably right about Power Mask.

Back
Top Bottom