What's new

Japanese public toilets really annoys me

Several years ago? Are you sure? You mean several decades ago?:D

Hong Kong public toilets are certainly not the best, but they aren't that primitive....
I'm not senile yet! 😆
It wasn't in Hong Kong/Kowloon proper. It happened during a day trip into the countryside(?).

Even Shimajiro can do it, you can do it too!👍

This is how to pee and poo!
toilet1ze2png-1.jpg

Shimajiro is way braver than me. And actually I did learn something, I always thought you faced the other way at a public floor-toilet.

I don't want to use those toilets. Anyway, I never use public toilets because I always disliked that.

Oh dear. It looks terrible. When I'm going to Japan, I think I'd better use the modern toilets - Or don't use public toilets at all. How can such a clean, full-of-harmony country get those.. Things? :unsure:
That's disgusting. It really is! :eek:

I brought up the subject of " squat public toilets " in one conversation with some NE Asians who have lived in Japan,they say it's more a matter of sanitary issue ( than backwardness ) for certain individuals over there.Their reasoning was,why would anyone wants to butt-share " uncleaned " toilet seat with countless strangers.

I went to Japan recently (loved it) and also found that the squat toilets were always the last ones left vacant. I've done the whole squat thing visiting Indonesia, so I wasn't keen on it this time.

It's funny how some people come up with a spin story on why traditional methods are better than newer ways. Why chopsticks are 'better' than cutlery, why squat toilets are 'more hygienic' than sit-down toilets. From what I've seen there's no proof they're more hygienic (unless it's obviously bad, just wipe the seat before you sit - you're not gonna die) - and as many people already pointed out, they're uncomfortable, you risk messing your pants, can't stay in that position long, and it's certainly the more embarrassing position compared to sit-down toilets.

I prefer traditional toilets to Western style ones. I would never sit down on a public toilet so the traditional ones are much better for me. If there is an option I go for the lower ones...

I've never been to Japan to encounter one of these but I think if I ever do, I'd at least try one out once.

A contributing factor to why many of the squatting-toilets still is installed in new facilities must be because they are much cheaper to produce. That's my guess anyway. And they actually have some positive sides as well. As already mentioned many people are used to them and some people think that they are more hygienic etc. This can of course be discussed but something that is ahrd to argue is that the squatting toilets are absolutely the most environmental friendly option :)

Personally I prefer the western style with the "Japanese touch" including electric heating and bidet and other fun stuff 👍

The first toilet doesn't look too bad, at least it's clean, no? :)

Squatting took lots of getting used to the first time. I remember being in an airpoirt in China and having no idea what to do! Some of them smell really bad too (at least the ones in China.) I had so much trouble with them. And sometimes there's a mess and people don't clean up....Okay, I think I've said too much.

Some of my relatives have squatting toilets at home, but they're just holes in the ground. I'm always afraid of falling.

I'm more accustomed to using Western style toilets, but I've gotten used to both. I still want to see what one of those toilets with the water jets (is that what they're called?) and heated seats look like, besides the fact they look like toilets. XD

I avoid the squatters. I'm very overweight and squatting kills my legs and my balance ain't the best out there either...

But so far, all squatters I've seen were accompanied by Western style toilets as well. I really never came across a public toilet without Western toilets.

I've been to 13 countries so far, and most either have no, or very well hidden, public toilets, or they're dirty as all hell, and by that I mean: lumps of poo on the walls. Germany has traumatized me in this matter. Public toilets in Germany seem to be limited to those movable Dixi boxes where the feces and piss is collected in a container underneath and once it's full, have fun.
The Japanese public toilets usually offer squatters, Western loos, big chambers for wheelchair-riders and oh my god, handwashing facilities! The best public toilet country out of all 13 I've been to so far. And I love the big chambers... when they're clean, they're a nice place when you need some alone-time or... when you don't know how to get back to Shizuoka from Omaezaki at 3 am, and need a private floor to sleep on...

I do think though, that the men's rooms should be a bit re-designed in many cases. Often, the urinaries are right at the door and any passer-by can watch those poor guys pee. Gotta be mortifying.

The only unfortunate thing is that it's not punishable by law to piss and miss and not clean it up. While staying at a ryokan with shared toilets, I ever so often had to clean someone else's piss off the seat. Lady's toilet, mind you. I can't understand how those people can't be dying of shame of leaving the toilet as dirty as that instead of spending 20 seconds on cleaning it. Unfortunately, that has been in a place with almost only foreigners and in more crowded places like train stations, or places with mostly Japanese people, the toilets were usually clean. Let's cooperate in giving the Japanese a good impression of ourselves, shall we? Please?

If you are the type of dude that needs a half hour to go to the bathroom, then a squat style sure isn't going to accommodate you well.

I kind of figured. . .

Although I have no problem with squats, I really doubt I'd use public J-style toilets a lot. Here in the U.S. I don't/rarely go to public restrooms, unless it's a really, reaaaaaally bad case of diarreha (sp?).
Whenever I do use public restrooms, it is only to pee.

The trough-style toilets use less water from what I heard.

I have used them once in my lifetime, because I was really, really desperate. I was afraid that my knees might give out and I'd fall over. Many other times, I saw that style toilet, and then just left the bathroom and held out for a Western-style toilet.

I was freaked out the first time I saw one too, but once you get used to them they're really not that hard to use. I actually prefer them because they seem to be a little quicker, and you don't have to put your butt on the same seat that's been sat on by God knows how many people.

I was freaked out the first time I saw one too, but once you get used to them they're really not that hard to use. I actually prefer them because they seem to be a little quicker, and you don't have to put your butt on the same seat that's been sat on by God knows how many people.

The chance of falling into the trough kind of offsets sitting on a seat...

Maybe I'll get used to them in time (not while I'm living here though...)

The chance of falling into the trough kind of offsets sitting on a seat...
Maybe I'll get used to them in time (not while I'm living here though...)

They usually have handrails for the elderly or those with poor balance, so I think your chances of falling in are really quite low, unless you've been hitting the sake too hard.😊

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I read somewhere once that the angle of using a squat toilet is much better and more natural for the body to completely 'evacuate', which does make sense I suppose.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I read somewhere once that the angle of using a squat toilet is much better and more natural for the body to completely 'evacuate', which does make sense I suppose.

You can do that with a regular toilet as well though. Makes it more exciting as well.

surprising

I know Japan is a small country ,but the toilets is very small and dirty.I am very surprised this.

it's the same in Arabic countries...we use a toilets like this..
i cant use the western style how can they Do it while setting as if they reading or waiting lol .
i prefer the japanese,it's similar with Arabic 100%

Nanook, i laughed until my stomach hurted when he said ( do it ) in the picture..

Back
Top Bottom