What's new

Japanese/Hiragana/Romaji Dictionary

haibuihoang

A curious learner
22 Apr 2012
こんちには!

I am new Japanese learner and I find it's difficult to remembers Japanese Kanji and words. That's why I've created this dictionary tool to look up words. The thing is you can type in either Kanji, Hiragana or Romaji or English to find a word and related words.

Check it here: http://www.romajidesu.com/dictionary/

And please give me your comments and suggestions!
ありがとうございます!

just a copy of jisho.org...

Why is it even necessary??

Attachments

• Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
There're 2 things here
1) I did refer to Jim's excellent work on about page (and by the way, Edict is free to use if you didn't know that). Oh did you you deleted that part of comment because you've just realised it?

2) Romajidesu/dictionary is not a copy of jisho.org, but shared the same database Edict. I did it totally by hobbies and love of Japanese language. I didn't know jisho.org until know, but I still prefer my tool because I don't have to choose between multiple form, I just need to type any kind of characters into a single input. And I am proud of making the related word system. Maybe it's my subjective preference but I love my simple design much better.

Many Kanji have multiple meanings. For example 本 can mean book or original.

in jisho.org, I can put 本 in the Japanese form and if I want to down the search I can put "book" in the English form. And I get all the entry with 本 and book. I can do that with 本 and "original". This can be an very effective way of learning. When I don't the same thing on your site, I entered 本 and book and I get ummm nothing.

on jisho.org, you can click on the "sentences", "kanji details" or "external links" links to further study the entry in more details. Their kanji detail page is extremely detailed. On your site, after I enter a keyword, that's it, it's a dead end.

Yes, you did refer to Jim's database, well hidden in about page, while jisho.org refers to them on the homepage and on the bottom of every result page, has detailed references. I must give them more credit for that.

I don't think you can say that you created this "dictionary tool", you didn't create anything, you simply linked the search with Edict. And you say you didn't know jisho.org?? As a Japanese learner like like yourself, Googled "japanese dictionary" and tell me what is the first result?

personal hobby cool, everybody have one. But promoting a much less functioning learning tool and use the same database when their is a much more comprehensive and established version will do no one any good. It's only going to confuse new Japanese learner.

Would it kill you guys to refer to "Jim" as "Professor Breen"?

I've known him online for years, have met and dined with him, and even provided him with a Japanese tutor once while he was staying in Japan for a while. I call him "Jim". People in a position of respect and whom you don't have a personal relationship with should be referred to by title and last name.

Well, I take these comments as your suggestion and really appreciate for them. I am really a newbie in Japanese, that's why I created romajidesu which I initially think should help me and others learn Japanese by just romaji.

And about jisho.org, I didn't used it before. It's true that it's well established and has a lot of information. Still, I want to make something new, such as I sometimes I don't want to turn the japanese input on just to search for a word. You said that I didn't create anything, well that hurts my feeling. Edict is just a huge plain text file, in order to make an interface and way to mine that data, it took me a lot of work. It's true that data is the core of anything, but the way to use that is another thing. I believe jisho did the same but with difference approach and with more data (like japanese sentences). Have you ever coded a website before?

And finally thank you for your mention about refering Jim's work, I will make it to every page soon. I didn't have any thought of hiding them, just because first, romajidesu is just about converting romaji to hiragana and katakana and there was nothing to do with edict.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------

I've known him online for years, have met and dined with him, and even provided him with a Japanese tutor once while he was staying in Japan for a while. I call him "Jim". People in a position of respect and whom you don't have a personal relationship with should be referred to by title and last name.

Oh I must apologize for this, my professor and I used to call each other by first name and I tend to think it's not a problem. I will notice it when refer to his work.

You're a lucky man.

こんちには!

I am new Japanese learner and I find it's difficult to remembers Japanese Kanji and words. That's why I've created this dictionary tool to look up words. The thing is you can type in either Kanji, Hiragana or Romaji or English to find a word and related words.

Check it here: http://www.romajidesu.com/dictionary/

And please give me your comments and suggestions!
ありがとうございます!
Nothing is changed from this one, I'm afraid. It's useless unless you can find how to distinguish 東京に行っている[itteiru] and 作業を行っている[okonatteiru], as I pointed out previously. 行っている is read neither "gyoutteiru" nor "koutteiru". (Google Translate still works better than yours.)

Nothing is changed from this one, I'm afraid. It's useless unless you can find how to distinguish 東京に行っている[itteiru] and 作業を行っている[okonatteiru], as I pointed out previously. 行っている is read neither "gyoutteiru" nor "koutteiru". (Google Translate still works better than yours.)
Thanks for your comments, this one has a different purpose is to looking up words and related words. While the converter (as you pointed out, not quite correct yet) is to convert a longer Japanese text to romaji.

I think the key is the same. Your site can't recognize 行きます which is the polite form of 行くand just returns "Sorry, no results found!". However jisho.org can get the dictionary form 行く from the same word and returns appropriate result.

I think the key is the same. Your site can't recognize 行きます which is the polite form of 行くand just returns "Sorry, no results found!". However jisho.org can get the dictionary form 行く from the same word and returns appropriate result.
Thanks! The database for both is the same, yes. In jisho.org I cannot find "行きます" when looking word either, but when looking up sentence. Currely I haven't yet used the database of sentences. It's still along way to go. I think the website will develop along with my study of Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom