What's new

COVID-19 Japanese government payout

Lothor

Freelance proofreader
Donor
26 Sep 2015
It looks like non-Japanese residents in Japan will be eligible for this one-off payout of 100,000 yen, so thought it would be worth starting a thread to provide information on eligibility and how to apply. Nothing has been finalised yet, but a foreign student in Japan asked me on Facebook if they would be eligible and I said I'd try to find out.
Any information received on the payment added to this thread will be gratefully received.

Looks like people who are registered in their local municipality will be eligible, so this includes foreign residents. I think you will have to apply for it (with the details to be worked out). I saw another article that said the head of the household would make the application on behalf of the household, with some exceptions being made for estranged spouses or victims of spouse abuse.

This article isn't the one I was looking for, but it has some info in English which may be of use to non-Japanese-speaking people.

I'm excited to collect. I've been in panic mode since the end of February trying to figure out how to balance everything

I will have to take it if I can get it, but I don't want it.

As ever I think the worst thing about the Covid 19 situation is the handling of it and this will be a huge part of it.

The money the government has is tax money. The Abenomasks is a fine example of how they squander it, handing it to rich people so their companies can make more money gouging us for over-priced and even faulty items with no-bid contracts. And that trend will continue.

So what is this payment in essence? Its a loan from your own money and it will come with interest that will go to the government, which is already deep in debt.

They could have removed sales tax and tariffs on essential items. They could have decreed a temporary suspension of all rent and loan payments as well as national health insurance and residence tax payments. But no, they did this, something that does not address individual needs at all but treats us if we are all in the same situation. Something that will take money just to implement. Something that will increase debt. Will they just print more money next?

So while its clear I don't approve, I also have no choice. I am going to take a huge financial hit and I am already living month to month.

Last edited:
If the govt. doesn't come up with a temporary law that will stop evictions, stop utilities from turning off, stop mortgage payment, NHK waive fees, no sales tax, and start having food banks, the 960 bucks is on a "spider web trap" of temporary "mental relief".
I always said, the Japanese politicians DO NOT CARE ABOUT IT LOW CLASS CITIZENS, I've even seen this way back in the early 70's. If you don't work for a corporation in this country, you are nobody in my opinion.

If the govt. doesn't come up with a temporary law that will stop evictions, stop utilities from turning off, stop mortgage payment, NHK waive fees, no sales tax, and start having food banks, the 960 bucks is on a "spider web trap" of temporary "mental relief".
I always said, the Japanese politicians DO NOT CARE ABOUT IT LOW CLASS CITIZENS, I've even seen this way back in the early 70's. If you don't work for a corporation in this country, you are nobody in my opinion.

Its already near impossible to evict anyone according to current laws.

Also utility stoppage I don't think is a thing here but I have less clear information on that. In all my time here I never heard of that happening. I suspect there are strict laws on that too....just imagine someone dying because a utility company wanted some person's pocket change for three months while ignoring the money that could have been gleaned over further years of life. Even Japan inc. does not approve of such self defeating greed. They leave that to stupid Americans.

This blanket ¥100,000 handout is just absurd. It does not address individual needs at all. It has not yet been fully explained, but it currently appears that people who are still in employment and working from home will receive exactly the same benefit as people who have lost their jobs - an outrageous situation.

As a freelancer, I have had all my work since mid-March until the end of May cancelled. And I know others are in similar situations. It seems grossly unfair that the original proposed ¥300,000 support (specifically for people who have lost income) has been slashed by 2/3, and now even people who don't need it will get an extra lump of cash.

For those who currently have zero income, the ¥100,000 may not even cover this month's rent yet alone all the other expenses that must be met. And then what happens next month? This virus isn't going to suddenly vanish in the next few weeks and everybody be back to work.

Last edited:
This blanket ¥100,000 handout is just absurd. It does not address individual needs at all. It has not yet been fully explained, but it currently appears that people who are still in employment and working from home will receive exactly the same benefit as people who have lost their jobs - an outrageous situation.

As a freelancer, I have had all my work since mid-March until the end of May cancelled. And I know others are in similar situations. It seems grossly unfair that the original proposed ¥300,000 support (specifically for people who have lost income) has been slashed by 2/3, and now even people who don't need it will get an extra lump of cash.

For those who currently have zero income, the ¥100,000 may not even cover this month's rent yet alone all the other expenses that must be met. And then what happens next month?
Is there an unemployment system also?
The US is similarly sending out a lump sum payment to everybody (subject to income limits) regardless of their employment status but theoretically unemployed people can get relief via the unemployment system.

There are other measures being planned for individual proprietors or freelancers.
I can only find this in Japanese:

I can only find this in Japanese:

Thanks, Majestic - a very useful link.
As very little is published in English and many of us are unable to read Japanese, it's really difficult to find out what is going on. So this is really appreciated.
I'll keep a close eye on progress.

This virus isn't going to suddenly vanish in the next few weeks and everybody be back to work.

Actually the virus will almost vanish in the next few weeks and those who still have a company to work at will be back to work. However there is a huge question of who will still have a company to work at.

Here's some authoritative information in English on who gets the handout and the application process.
I think this is the most useful article I've ever read by NHK in 16 years of living in Japan!

I'm a bit worried about how the govt. will use the info on foreigners in the futures. In a way, I feel its a "spider web trap" due to the fact I don't (never ) trust the Japanese govt. when it comes to relationships with foreigners here in Japan.

musicisgood said:
I'm a bit worried about how the govt. will use the info on foreigners in the futures. In a way, I feel its a "spider web trap" due to the fact I don't (never ) trust the Japanese govt. when it comes to relationships with foreigners here in Japan.
I'm no fan of the Japanese government (especially the current administration), but what do you honestly expect them to do? Or, on a more basic level, what "information" will this give them that they don't have already?

I mean, I'm not trying to be naive, but in a time of crisis, I think it's a little much to think that "Haha! Now we've got those foreigners!" was (or is) anywhere in the minds of these bureaucrats when they were stumbling and fumbling trying to come up with a relief package.

I'm no fan of the Japanese government (especially the current administration), but what do you honestly expect them to do? Or, on a more basic level, what "information" will this give them that they don't have already?

I mean, I'm not trying to be naive, but in a time of crisis, I think it's a little much to think that "Haha! Now we've got those foreigners!" was (or is) anywhere in the minds of these bureaucrats when they were stumbling and fumbling trying to come up with a relief package.

Well, I know for a fact when new police officers are relocated to different towns ( not sure if it standard practice throughout Japan), but one of the first things is get review the locations of foreigner residents. This also applies to seasoned officers too when new foreign students enter universities. Apartment visits are common for such interviews. So that was the reason I brought up such an issue.

Well, I know for a fact when new police officers are relocated to different towns ( not sure if it standard practice throughout Japan), but one of the first things is get review the locations of foreigner residents. This also applies to seasoned officers too when new foreign students enter universities. Apartment visits are common for such interviews. So that was the reason I brought up such an issue.
Well of course. If your neighbor's bicycle goes missing, you're obviously the first place they should look. It's not racism, just good common sense. ;)

I've never heard of using colors to express sarcasm. Or maybe I just never noticed. Hmmm.

It may be outdated or specific to a forum I used. Staggered caps is more up to date and used on big sites though. A wink just seems too open to interpretation, as do other smileys I often see intended to convey sarcasm but instead getting the poster attacked.

Haven't received any documents yet, but read that Kobe will be giving them to families having kids first.

Found this article on how to fill in those documents.

And watch out for the checkboxes next to the recipients (Section D in the link above). The instructions ask you to put a check in the checkbox if do not want to receive the money. Some people are mistakenly checking the boxes. If you want the money, leave the boxes blank.

corona checklist_LI.jpg

Lots of people became desperate but this guy took it to the next level and thought he could get the money straight away.

It is very sad to see this kind of news, but it probably is happening more with people taking their lives now here in Japan over financial difficulties.

Well, I guess Yamaguchi ken got the funds now. Should be deposited in the bank on the 15th of June I understand.

Back
Top Bottom