What's new

Japanese girls and brand bags

neko_girl22

先輩
14 May 2003
Would you pay $1000's for a designer bag?

I love buying shoes and bags, but I am quite happy with a bag that is 1/10th of the price of LV or Gucci. Besides, I see hundreds of girls carrying the same bag (or some poor souls even have fake ones) - why would I want to have a bag everyone else has?? (see photo below)

Designer fashion is so important to Japanese girls alot of them use nearly their whole salary (or parents' money) to keep up-to-date. I don't know about other countries, but in New Zealand we don't care about designer brands so much. Yeah, we drool over them in Cosmo but we don't put ourselves into debt for them.

What do you think about this trend? If they want to pay for designer stuff it's their decision right? I just think your priorities are a bit twisted if you're 30 and still live at home...

anyway I believe it's possible to be stylish without resorting to major designer labels.... 🌹

Attachments

• bag_alma.jpg
    bag_alma.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 350
nzueda said:
Would you pay $1000's for a designer bag?

About 40 million Japanese girls or women ?

I love buying shoes and bags, but I am quite happy with a bag that is 1/10th of the price of LV or Gucci.

Oh, but can also buy fakes. There are plenty of fake Vuitton and Gucci, and not just in Thailand, even in Japan.

Besides, I see hundreds of girls carrying the same bag (or some poor souls even have fake ones) - why would I want to have a bag everyone else has?? (see photo below)

That's the point. Contrarily to individualistic Westerners, Japanese are very collectivist and like doing like everyone else. In Japan, if you see people jumping in the river, then you must do it (social obligation to keep the group harmony). :D

Interestingly, the same is starting to happen in Korea and China.

Designer fashion is so important to Japanese girls alot of them use nearly their whole salary (or parents' money) to keep up-to-date.

That sounds brainless, but it's the harsh reality of group harmony combined to low self-esteem.

I don't know about other countries, but in New Zealand we don't care about designer brands so much.

Even in Paris, where Louis Vuitton bags come from (and are cheaper), LV bags are unusual enough for people to say "Oh look, she has a Vuitton !". In Tokyo, it's "Oh look ! She doesn't have a Vuitton !". :sorry:

Yeah, we drool over them in Cosmo but we don't put ourselves into debt for them.

Japanese women are clever; rather than buying it themselves, most make them offer one by their boyfriend/husband or by "sponsoring males" in "exchange for services" (hmm 😊 ). If they do buy it by themselves, it's because they do not spend this money for accommodation (live with their parents till their thrities), do not have anything else to spend their money on (not enough holiday to travel, not enough hobbies for other stuff).

I think so too (but hey, I'm a guy :D). That bag looks like any ol' bag to me. If a girl asks me to buy a bag that's like what... $100, I might let it slide, but higher ones are instant dumpage, unless I won the lottery or something. :p

That's the point. Contrarily to individualistic Westerners, Japanese are very collectivist and like doing like everyone else. In Japan, if you see people jumping in the river, then you must do it (social obligation to keep the group harmony). :D

Your post makes a lot of sense, I guess it's the old "uchi" and "soto" thing again. You're "soto" if you don't have the bag!

it's still crazy to me though :p

nzueda said:
Your post makes a lot of sense, I guess it's the old "uchi" and "soto" thing again. You're "soto" if you don't have the bag!

it's still crazy to me though :p
What is uchi en soto?

When I was in Japan I couldn't believe my eyes! 😲 All those high fashion girls. I've been to Paris, but Japan is worse I think :D

And I too still can't understand what's the deal. Here in Holland it's almost the opposite. Showing off is NOT done here and I don't know that many people that would spend money on designer clothes. But in a way I guess it's sort of the same group-feeling as in Japan: you're an outsider if you have a designer bag and everybody will talk about you in a bad way ("Owh look at her showing off with her LV bag")

I know a Korean girl and she's exactly the same as those Japanese girls. She's got a zillion bags and still she's convinced that she NEEDS that particular (expensive) bag that she happens to run into. She'll say that she has enough bags, but just not one for that occasion she wants the bag for. :banghead:

Vinylhoer said:
What is uchi en soto?

"Uchi" means "inside" and "soto" means "outside". That refers to the group (country, company, family or whatever).

And I too still can't understand what's the deal. Here in Holland it's almost the opposite. Showing off is NOT done here and I don't know that many people that would spend money on designer clothes. But in a way I guess it's sort of the same group-feeling as in Japan: you're an outsider if you have a designer bag and everybody will talk about you in a bad way ("Owh look at her showing off with her LV bag")

The point is that because almost everybody has a LV bag in Japan, it is not showing off. Anyway, I thing the very concept of "showing off" is inexistant in Japan. Having money and showing it is not morally reproachable. Not having money is almost a sin in Japan. :D

The point is that because almost everybody has a LV bag in Japan, it is not showing off. Anyway, I thing the very concept of "showing off" is inexistant in Japan. Having money and showing it is not morally reproachable. Not having money is almost a sin in Japan. :D
So in a way it is showing off, but because everybody does it it doens't look that way.

What I'm wondering is is how new trends arise if everybody does what everybody else does. In Europe most people want to be original and this leads to new trends. :?

The phenomenah isn't isolated to just brand name bags either. I teach one student who owns two cars: a Jaguar and an Audi, both almost brand new. When you see someone driving cars like that in Canada you think they must live in a huge house or something, but she and her husband live in this tiny little two room apartment with their 2 year old son. They aren't car enthusiasts or anything either, it has always boggled my mind how they could spend that much on automobiles while living in this cramped little hovel.

Its stuff like that which I don't understand at all. If you are filthy rich then I can see paying top dollar for quality brand name bags, cars, etc. But most of the people you see sporting this expensive crap in public live in absolute squalor at home. Obviously its all the social pressure to be accepted that keeps them like this. People rarely visit each other's apartments here so there isn't any need to live in comfort so long as you project the image of luxury. Seems sad.

I've commented on this before, I believe. My husband automatically assumed that I wanted designer bags and platinum jewelry and expensive clothes. I've got about $3000 worth of Louis Vuitton(and that's only 3 bags and a wallet) because he thought I wanted it. I'm not saying I don't like it, of course, but he had this weird idea that all women want that kind of stuff because he had been around women who placed a lot of value on that type thing.

Of course now, many people around here are producing fake LV. I told him that now anyone could have what looks like LV. He says something like, "yes, but you know it's real". :eek:

Also, I'd like to add that it was so funny, because when my Japanese girlfriend was still living here, she ran and got a Prada bag and made her husband get her a bigger diamond after she saw what I had each time. She would even copy me down to the furniture I had and the clothes! Even the kids' toys. I thought it was...interesting. Almost scary.

Oh, and my husband was one of those who lived with the parents and bought whatever he wanted. He was chonan, though, so I guess he felt he had some kind of right to do that. He had a really fancy SUV, a couple of motorcycles, all of these extremely expensive and fancy outfits for skiing, tennis, motocross, etc. etc. I mean, it's unbelievable. In the U.S., we call men like him a "mama's boy", and it's definitely not considered a compliment.

**Edit** I would like to say that I grew up on a farm. I mean, I lived in rural North Carolina and Virginia and my parents were teachers. I didn't even have cable the entire 18 years I lived with my parents because we were so far out in the country. I could only drool over LV and Gucci and Chanel and Dior and etc. etc. in Cosmo or Glamour. I had good stuff, but not that level.

senseiman said:
The phenomenah isn't isolated to just brand name bags either. I teach one student who owns two cars: a Jaguar and an Audi, both almost brand new. When you see someone driving cars like that in Canada you think they must live in a huge house or something, but she and her husband live in this tiny little two room apartment with their 2 year old son.

European cars are much cheaper (something like half price) in Europe than Japan, so it is almost normal to have an Audi, BMW, Mercedes or Jaguar. In Germany, there seem to be only big cars like that on the motorway/autobahn.
But in Japan, that is true that I hardly understand why they buy those imported car if they aren't car enthusiasts.

My wife keeps nagging me about buying a car, but I told her it's not necessary when one lives in central Tokyo, and even if I got a car for free, i probably wouldn't use it more than once a month. But she said that a man must have a car, otherwise he is just a child. You see the mentality. :mad:
What's more I got my driving licence when I was 18 (min. legal age in Europe and Japan), as I was interested in cars at the time, but have almost completely lost interest since then. The difference between me and her, is that I have been used to go everywhere by car since my youngest childhood, because I've grown up in an isolated house in the country, while her family never had a car in Tokyo. For her it's still new and exciting. For me, it's just a convenience to go somewhere if there are any train or subway near. Anyway, I think that many Tokyoites use their cars mainly for weekend outings, not to go to work.

A comment about the car issue. If I didn't have to have a car, I wouldn't have a car. If I lived somewhere like Tokyo or NYC, I don't believe I would ever worry with a car. You can walk anywhere you want or take the subway or train. It sounds wonderful to me, who has to drive at least 30 miles in either direction to go to a decent store.

I know the feeling, I have to drive everywhere and I hate it! It really becomes a hastle more then a convenience after the first 6 months of driving with your licence.

Are there really any good knock-offs out there? When I went to Hong Kong, there were tons of them, but all of them were so obviously shoddy and cheap-looking that even I could tell it was fake from a mile away. Not that I really think anything about a LV bag really justifies $1000 price tag, but the quality of fakes available makes it seem like it's the real thing or nothing.

Also, I was talking about the LV phenomenon with one of my friends who is French. He was amused by it because he said he only sees old women with those bags back home in France.

When I was at the LV in Paris, the whole store was booming, and I bet at least 80% of the customers in there at that moment were Asian. It was pretty funny. It was like the LV store was on their itinerary...

I think it's more of a matter of priorities. For example, someone mentioned something about a couple that has two nice european cars, but a small apartment. They might not spend that much time in the apartment, so it's not as important as the car they probably spend more time in.

as for buying expensive clothes, for some people it's a hobby. And some people are willing to put themselves in debt for that.

now i can understand the whole "fashion" thing, since my own clothes come from the more expensive end of the spectrum. But i'm not willing to put myself in debt for it.

seriously, think about it. Most of us here probably watch anime, or play video games...how often do you spend a little bit too much at once on those things? i know i've done that a couple times...

Japan is a country most comfortable in a uniform - and I guess this designer bag craze is just another uniform. If you don't have something that's from a designer you stand out and that's most Japanese people's nightmare

Thankfully my hubby is a bit of an eccentric/rebel and hates to conform :p His most expensive stuff is his guitar and other band equipment.

It's funny how when in NZ someone found out I was married to a Japanese man they would automatically assume I would be dripping in LV etc I have a few pieces of designer jewellery from when we dating, but I told him that although I think they're gorgeous I don't need them to stay with him.

I probably sound like a bore to go shopping with buy actually I looove shopping in Japan. I just don't agree with paying exorbitant prices for a bag that does the same job as my 3,000Y one and doesn't even look as good! (IMO) 😄

maciamo I hear what you are saying.

I don't have a car either and (thank god) my wife is cool with that. We live in Himeji, about a 10 minute bicycle ride from downtown and I just cannot fathom going to the expense of buying a car for the minimal benefits you would get from it. All the places in town are within bicycle range and if we want to go out of town there is always the JR. The only time not having a car is a drag is when it is raining or when we want to go shopping for something big. And for those occasions we have raincoats and delivery services so they aren't a problem either.

Plus the cost of a car here is just insane. Buying the car isn't so expensive, but paying for the insurance, the Sha-kens, the gas, the parking....they just seem like big money-traps to me.

senseiman said:
Plus the cost of a car here is just insane. Buying the car isn't so expensive, but paying for the insurance, the Sha-kens, the gas, the parking....they just seem like big money-traps to me.

Exactly, then there is always the possibility to rent a car. On to of that, one of them (rent-a-car) opened just 100m from our house !

my poor wallet.. tell the jap girls to get cheaper hobbies before i go there.. you have something like 2 years.. k thx plz

senseiman said:

In our small town we have to have a car. We wouldn't have a car unless we needed one. This month we have the sha-ken...... when I first heard how much it is going to cost I couldn't believe it!! It's close to $2,000nz! :mad: In nz it would be around $40!!! It is however easier to pass in Japan apparently. I guess I wont be shopping for any LV bags this month :p

Yeah, the only reason we have cars is because we have to. In the U.S., everything is so spread out, you just about have to have a car. That is why I say it would be so extremely nice and convenient to live in a big city and not have to have a car. We just made our last payment on our car this month. It is paid for now and it is such a relief... 😌

Oh, and the motorcycle too. Can't forget that. That has just been paid off too--finally. Maciamo has his wife begging for a car, and I had my husband begging for a motorcycle... :eek: How could I say no, though? It's his money, after all.

Yeah I wish stuff was that close in the U.S., I think normally for me to go to a friends house around here it takes like somewhere around 20-25 minutes in the car and at speed limit probably 30 minute ride.. And I am not in a country area either.
😊

Also to get back on topic, I dont think I would spend all that money on LV bags and stuff at all, I do have a hobby which is my car (I have invested somewhere around $3,000 + $2,500 (vehicle cost) in modifications, etc..
I guess it is just what you like...

"girls to get cheaper hobbies before i go there.. you have something like 2 years.. k thx plz"
japanese... k thx plz!

I don't think purchasing expensive designer bags are typical Japanese, I see it everywhere, this is how fashion is.

HOwever, in Japan and China, 'face' i.e. status, is very important, hence, they want to buy expensive stuff like LV or Gucci bags, Burberry coat and anything which shows you have a high class, especially if they can afford it.

Furthermore, it is contagious...I mean, if a friend has a Gucci bag, her friends must have...suddenly, everyone has a Gucci-bag!

"all fur coat and no knickers" as i hear sometimes ;)

Where I live a car is essential if you want to go anywhere. Its 40mins to the city, 20mins to school and my friends houses, 5mins to the train station... getting the idea here? I woould love a motorbike as having to drive a big 4 person car on my own to places is a waste.

I cant understand having a car but and the same time kinda get it. Wherever I went train and bus got me within a 5minute walk of my destination. But the car meant we could go to other places (generally out in the country) like a camping site, temples and the sort. But if you live in tokyo i dont really see the point (get a motorbike or scooter!)

Back
Top Bottom