• futon

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • bed

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • both

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
Maciamo said:
Maybe that's a Japanese-style mattress - usually mistakenly called "futon" in Western shops of Japanese home decoration.
I didn't know they were referred to as "Japanese-style mattresses," all this time I've just called them American futons!

We had a matress that I always called a futon. It was heavy, too as Frank described. It was on a platform with little legs. I loved it. But after 20 years it just started disintegrating.

We have a firm matress on the wooden frame-- but I had to take the legs off. Now I have to buy a new matress and platform. The matress thing tends to move more.

I much prefer the origional Japanese futon to anything else iv ever slept on and Im currently trying to track down a few more tatami mats and japanese bedding..

I find western style futons really unconfortable and matresses just are not matching my needs anymore.

In the wintertime, I typically spend most nights sleeping directly on the floor, no futon, no nuthin.

Why? Simple.

It's so damned hard to get up from a warm comfy bed/futon in the winter that I am daily in danger of being majorly late for work. So to prevent that, I deliberately sleep in conditions which are more miserable than the alternative of getting up.

I perfectly understand what Mike Cash is saying. I used to sleep on the couch for a while because that way I didn't need to get up and walk to the living room, as I was already there!

Don't get me wrong, I understand his reason...it's just that I have always pictured Mike as a hard worker with this unbelievable work ethic...

Now I find out that he is actually normal!

CC1 said:
Don't get me wrong, I understand his reason...it's just that I have always pictured Mike as a hard worker with this unbelievable work ethic...

Now I find out that he is actually normal!

I'm the original "I owe, I owe, so off to work I go" guy. In the unlikely event that I should ever be able to retire, you'll find me in a small and unkempt houseboat on the Tennessee River avoiding anything even remotely resembling labor. Phone ahead for reservations, as I don't plan to be easy to find.

GroglovesJapan said:
I much prefer the origional Japanese futon to anything else iv ever slept on and Im currently trying to track down a few more tatami mats and japanese bedding..
I find western style futons really unconfortable and matresses just are not matching my needs anymore.

How many kinds of mattresses and what types have you actually tried ? Tempur anyone ?

What about this type? It looks so cool.

Attachments

• viking.jpg
    viking.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 90
Maciamo said:
How many kinds of mattresses and what types have you actually tried ? Tempur anyone ?
Hm.. To my knowledge I have only had IKEA mattresses.. Nothing wrong with those though.

But hammocks.. They're the best! It feels so nice to just hang in mid-air and doze off..

osias said:
What about this type? It looks so cool.

That is a hammock. It is nice to rest in, but sleeping in one for an extended period gets old. I lived in one for 45 days once.

leonmarino said:
Hm.. To my knowledge I have only had IKEA mattresses.. Nothing wrong with those though.
I have tried all the mattresses in store at IKEA a few months ago, and I have to say that they are pure cr*p compared to real brand mattreses. I wouldn't have taken their most expensive one even for free.

Tsuyoiko said:
I have only slept on a futon on a frame on holiday - it was OK, but too thin to sleep on forever. I have never slept on a futon straight on the floor. I have slept on a mattress and an airbed on the floor, but I don't like to have my face so near to the ground. It doesn't seem very hygenic. In Japan I guess it's OK since everyone takes off their shoes!
I sleep in a wooden framed bed with a hard sprung mattress. I don't like soft mattresses.

Same here, I bought a futon from IKEA for my mother when she visited me from Australia, and she complaint of back pain and that it's low.

Yes we know "IKEA" is not a high quality furniture store but it is supposed to be acceptable cause in France there is a store called "BUT" which is really the low quality store. And it is a once off thing. 😌

She likes high beds. Since she is short we changed it back into the sofa position which she likes better. My mum says even Japanese like Western style beds but this poll shows otherwise but then again there are not that many Japanese in here. Or maybe it is just the opinions of the Japanese my grandparents got hold of; this does not mean there are no Japanese who prefer their futons, of course.

Back
Top Bottom